Woodbury over Olaseni? WTH?

What exactly did Woody do to deserve being called out? He has been much more aggressive and confident. He's playing well. His defense is way better than Gabe.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Woody is not a good big 10 player. Gabe needs to play 30 and Woody needs to play 10. Zach needs to play about 5.

So tell me specifically what you see wrong in Woodbury's game to say he is "not a good big 10 player". I would love to read your analysis since you seem to have so much insight and knowledge of the game.

joker feel free to chime in with your insight as well since you "liked" the post I quoted.

What exactly did Woody do to deserve being called out? He has been much more aggressive and confident. He's playing well. His defense is way better than Gabe.

Woodbury's biggest sin is being a top 50 recruit and having ROy Williams want him. He's a victim of his own hype at this point.

Both are playing well. I don't know why it has to be one over the other. Fran looks at Woody/Gabe as 1 player. Together they fill the 5 position.

This. His defense is still better than Gabe's, and he's playing much better at the offensive end lately. At least last year, people could point to the fact that he was pretty bad on offense and couldn't hit FT's to save his life. But right now, he's playing well on both ends and has improved dramatically at the line.

These threads are starting to drive me nuts. All people see are the awesome rebounds and points Olaseni is scoring, he is doing a great job of that. But what people DON'T see was how easily Williams was able to push Olaseni around underneath the basket. Williams got a couple of easy baskets because Olaseni was not strong enough to hold his ground against him. He tried to do this to Woodbury as well, everyone remember that foul where Woodbury was caught his his arms draped over Williams? This happened because Williams had his shoulders and face buried into Woodbury's chest and was trying to muscle past him and Woodbury was strong enough to hold his ground (he just couldn't keep his arms up). Granted Williams got free throws out of it but at least Woodbury made him earn them at the line instead of giving up an easy basket.

Some of you need to watch the game away from the ball, especially on the defensive end. Then you will see why Woodbury gets so many minutes and is still starting.

Wrong question. Doesn't have to be one over the other, both.

People are stupid.

Woodbury is playing well, Gabe is playing tremendous.

Basabe, White, and Uthoff have been invisible.

McCabe is playing horrendous.

Woodbury and Gabe are both on the bench together half the time.

Obviously the answer is play Woddbury less. That will fix everything.

Does Adam or his family have something on Fran? Is Fran attending the Kirk F. school of coaching? Put the most productive players on the floor and the best players. Being deep is hurting this team. Nobody gets a chance to get hot and when they do get hot, they get sat down for a body on the floor, productive or not, but breathing.

Will you please stop it. He starts Woody because he plays good defense, passes the ball well, and has good floor sense. He brings the Big O in to add some energy and some offense. Then he watches to see who is deserving of the most minutes, based on the game situations. And, Gabe is just fine with this...read his quotes and listen to post game interviews with Gabe. Cripes. Just drop it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Woody is not a good big 10 player. Gabe needs to play 30 and Woody needs to play 10. Zach needs to play about 5.

Congratulations! You win the prize as the worst judge of ability on the board; and, you had to surpass a lot of competition.

REALLY ?? IS THAT REALLY THE BEST YOU CAN COME UP WITH ???
Does Adam or his family have something on Fran? Is Fran attending the Kirk F. school of coaching? Put the most productive players on the floor and the best players. Being deep is hurting this team. Nobody gets a chance to get hot and when they do get hot, they get sat down for a body on the floor, productive or not, but breathing.

As a fan, we have the luxury of throwing out all kinds of theories. Even if they are as looney tunes as say a black mail conspiracy theory ... but then again, as fans, we are not responsible for making this machine run like a high performance engine, with all pistons firing at just the right time. I enjoy reading all the different opinions and ideas of what Coach should do to improve our team, even though some are quite laughable.

Imagine, if you will, you are a coach. You only have 6 ... maybe 7 players who you can turn to in your rotation. If that were the case, chances are, you would start your 5 best players, knowing you were going to ride them hard, game in and game out, with brief breaks from the other two. More than likely it will limit your style of play, as you are not going to get out and run as much.

Now, let's say you are a Coach with 10 or 11 deep ... and you want to run ... in that case, you shouldn't start your 5 best. With that many bodies, you are going to want to meld the group together to make sure you have the right people on the floor at all times. You can't be concerned with player A vs player B, as much as how the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

Right now, when Gabe is in there, he is quickly becoming the go to guy on the second unit. Would Woody fill that slot, if the roles were reversed? I think Woody is improving and plays great defense, but I don't see him getting the points Gabe got the other night.

There are a number of players struggling right now, so the Coach has to find a way to motivate/inspire/build their confidence. That should be the real question. How do you, as a Coach, help White find his mojo? Help Basabe become a force again?

Maybe for one game, you mix things up a bit. Maybe you sit White and start Gabe. Sit Basabe and start Uthoff. Even if it is only for the first two minutes.

See what I mean about throwing out ideas? That's why I am a fan of the game, and not the Coach.

Latest posts