Won't it be awesome.

Yes we learned out lesson

Signed

Greg Brunner, Mike Henderson, Jeff Horner and Adam Haluska

Those guys were very good players for Iowa, no doubt. However, they only made two NCAA's and the first one the made took a good run in the Big Ten tournament to get them there. I believe that was the year Wisconsin beat them with a half court shot at the buzzer. The following year they secured a 3 seed, however losing to Northwestern St. The year prior they were pounded by Cincinnati in the tournament in the 1st round. My point being, that, while they were good players, they never won a single NCAA tournment game and only played in 2 games total.

Ridiculous. I will be happy with a .500 record next year. Anyone predicting a NCAA tournament bid is delusional.

We only won 7 non conference games this year. I think we win 12-13 next year. I think we win 8 conference games and with 20-21 wins we get in the tournament

I'm not delusional.

Gatens should shoot better. Brommer should improve. Cartwright will be even better at PG. The league adjusted to May this year. May will adjust to the league next year...and should have the kind of season we all envisioned this year. Payne will be back...2 years older with a full season of experience as a true freshman. The freshmen are good this year and all 3 will be better next year.

We have signed 2 players that should contribute. We'll most likely sign 2 more players that should contribute. Everyone but Michigan loses key contributors.

We were close in almost every home conference game this year. I don't think we'll lose more than 2...thinking only 1...home conference game next year. Those that disagree please tell me the teams...most of which have key defections...that will win in Carver next year. It's an honest question.

I think Iowa will finish between 4th and 6th in the conference and have a much better non-conference record. I also think Michigan will finish 1st or 2nd next year...and I have no vested interest in their team whatsoever.

Unfortunately, Brommer has turned out to be... well, Brommer. He shows glimpses of turning the corner and then he fades back again. Really has been a constant through his career. This is true all the way back to high school.

So, really the addition of two currently unsigned players really is the addition of one player and the replacement of another. Just never really know what you will get there. Will it be an upgrade from Cole, or status quo, or drop off. I suggest for Iowa to get to the dance, it must be an upgrade in at least one key area (defense, rebounding, scoring) and a status quo in the others.

I will cry if these kids end up at Iowa. Woodbury maybe, the other two no thanks. Haven't we learned our lesson loading up on in state projects vs. recruiting court ready players. Woodbury should be dominating in high school and he isn't, so why do so many think he is going to be anyting other than Tisdale Lite in the big ten?
I didnt mean it as getting those thre sorry for the confusion. I meant by cleaning up as in bringing in our final recruit. To CAARHawk, I dont think next years class will be completely signed by Nov. it would be nice but I doubt it happens.

Woodbury is the #74 rated player in the country on Scout,and Iowa should hesitate on grabbing him? BS. He is #105 on Rivals also. I am all for staying objective on local talent,but these ratings services are clearly objective,with no Iowa bias,and they have him higher rated than any player on the Iowa roster,and we should take a pass on him? Again,BS!

Now, Gesell is also well rated,so I would also love to get him,and he might as well be an Iowa player. Peter Jok? Bring him on.
Sorry,but when a local player is that highly rated, Iowa needs to grab him,if possible.
Staten? Also fairly well thought of in ratings service circles,..wait and see on him.
Thok? Again,I will wait and see,but if West Va and other big schools are on him...well, they seem to know something about winning bb games at West Va.

I didnt mean it as getting those thre sorry for the confusion. I meant by cleaning up as in bringing in our final recruit. To CAARHawk, I dont think next years class will be completely signed by Nov. it would be nice but I doubt it happens.

It might not be complete, but the lion's share better be committed. Just not enough quality guys there left in spring. Scrambling for spring recruits is not a good long term strategy. Spring should be for replacing unexpected departures and for players that emerge late.

Unfortunately, Brommer has turned out to be... well, Brommer. He shows glimpses of turning the corner and then he fades back again. Really has been a constant through his career. This is true all the way back to high school.

So, really the addition of two currently unsigned players really is the addition of one player and the replacement of another. Just never really know what you will get there. Will it be an upgrade from Cole, or status quo, or drop off. I suggest for Iowa to get to the dance, it must be an upgrade in at least one key area (defense, rebounding, scoring) and a status quo in the others.

CAARHawk - that's why I think Iowa has a chance to be a bubble team, meaning 8 conference wins or so. I'd guess that most players (particularly non-centers), make their greatest leap from freshman to sophomore years.

Based on that, I see both Basabe and especially Marble (who won't be forced to play PG), making significant gains next season. I think Marble's development is particularly important, as Iowa needs a slashing perimeter player to make full use of Gatens' spot up shooting ability as well as opening things up for Basabe inside (who seems to get his points when things break down).

In my view, Marble has those types of skills and has a chance to take a step forward next year.

Another significant upgrade is the addition of an experienced PG in Payne. I wonder how much of our inability to get over the hump in the Wisconsin, Michigan and Northwestern games is that we had 10-12 minutes a game where Cartwright was either running on fumes or the offense bogged down because we'd taken him out. Eliminating this portion of the game by playing Payne will help us.

Finally, I like the kind of kids that Fran is bringing in. Who thought Basabe would have this kind of impact? Based on what I'm reading about White, I think he can play a role next season, too. It's dangerous to rely on freshmen, but I don't think it is unrealistic to think White (as well as one of the dynamic PGs Fran is recruiting) will provide some depth. Iowa seemingly has often run out of gas in the second half this season...a couple quality recruits should help.

Latest posts