Wonder who is on Barta's Short list

longtimer

This is not a tournament team and will not be next year. I cant imagine fans letting this go beyond 6 years. which means Barta will have to be looking again. God that's an awful thought

Someone who would probably get us to where we are now at best. Iowa basketball is stuck in perpetual mediocrity

This is actually genius. See, there's no way he gets to pick a third bball coach....so the way to get rid of Barta is to have the bball team collapse. Now, don't get me wrong...I love the Hawks! But if it will take an epic collapse by the bball team to get GarBar run out on a rail....well, sometimes you just have to take one for the team!

There is no talent on this team.. nothing coming... I think Fran has lost his edge/interest

There were empty seats tonight... Carver will empty quickly now.

Who do you even want to watch play?

...But if it will take an epic collapse by the bball team to get GarBar run out on a rail....well, sometimes you just have to take one for the team!

That collapse started tonight and it will surpass last years collapse. You could see it in the players tonight. Nobody even wanted to shoot the ball because they know they can't compete. They quit.

I don't want to shoot it.. you shoot it. Here you shoot it so you look bad and not me. You could see it on their faces.

No heart.

You can overcome some talent deficiency with heart and desire. There is none in this program.

This is idiotic. Losing to ISU in basketball is not the same as in football. You do realize ISU is ranked #14? They should be in the top ten, but they had a really bad shooting night against Maryland where they only hit 4 threes. Tonight, a player that was shooting 0% on the year from 3 hit 4 against us. I'm not saying ISU just got lucky tonight. They are better than us and they had a good night from 3 point, which as KenPom has shown, is often based on luck. So Maryland got lucky and we did not. We probably got lucky against UNC. In short, the world is not falling down.

This is still a good basketball team that will compete for a high finish in the Big Ten and has a decent shot at making the tourney. Are we a lock? No. But Fran has still done a great job turning around this program and we have a bevy of good incoming recruits. Not to mention that are underclassmen (Jok, Uhl) played solidly in tonight's game.

This is idiotic. Losing to ISU in basketball is not the same as in football. You do realize ISU is ranked #14? They should be in the top ten, but they had a really bad shooting night against Maryland where they only hit 4 threes. Tonight, a player that was shooting 0% on the year from 3 hit 4 against us. I'm not saying ISU just got lucky tonight. They are better than us and they had a good night from 3 point, which as KenPom has shown, is often based on luck. So Maryland got lucky and we did not. We probably got lucky against UNC. In short, the world is not falling down.

This is still a good basketball team that will compete for a high finish in the Big Ten and has a decent shot at making the tourney. Are we a lock? No. But Fran has still done a great job turning around this program and we have a bevy of good incoming recruits. Not to mention that are underclassmen (Jok, Uhl) played solidly in tonight's game.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This post is a little too sane for this website.

I'd have a little more faith in this though if we weren't in the 200's in the nation in field goal percentage while a majority of our schedule featured cupcakes. Until our team starts scoring with some efficiency I'm not believing they will be an NCAA team.

They looked totally defeated 5 minutes into the 2nd half. Afraid to shoot. I'd be afraid to if it meant a clip board up my #$@

That collapse started tonight and it will surpass last years collapse. You could see it in the players tonight. Nobody even wanted to shoot the ball because they know they can't compete. They quit.

I don't want to shoot it.. you shoot it. Here you shoot it so you look bad and not me. You could see it on their faces.

No heart.

You can overcome some talent deficiency with heart and desire. There is none in this program.

High finish in conference? No way.

Even if we could SHOOT, this conference has the best coaching talent in the country. By far. I like Fran as a person but he was horribly out-coached last year. Will be even worse this year.

We won't have Devyn to bail us out at times.

I see 6-12 in conference play unfortunately, and I think I am being optimistic.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This post is a little too sane for this website.

I'd have a little more faith in this though if we weren't in the 200's in the nation in field goal percentage while a majority of our schedule featured cupcakes. Until our team starts scoring with some efficiency I'm not believing they will be an NCAA team.

Without question, our offense is challenged. I think the fault mostly lies with our guards. We are starting two points guards, neither of whom is a great scorer. I know some think Gessel is a shooting guard, but I disagree. He's a career 31% shooter from 3. Not good enough to play SG. To their credit, Gessel and Clemmons are both excellent on defense and we have won games this year because of that great defense (see North Carolina). The emergence of Peter Jok gives me hope. He got more minutes than Clemmons tonight. If he can become a consistent scoring threat, that will definitely help improve things. I think Clemmons can still be a valuable contributor even if Jok eventually takes the starting gig out of a need to get more scoring into the lineup.

As for our other two guards, Ellingson looks promising in limited minutes. It appears he may start taking Oglesby's minutes if Josh can get it figured out. It's not like our 3 point shooting can get worse.

Again, this ISU team is very good. They would likely compete with Wisconsin to win the Big Ten. I also think we match up with ISU worse than any the Big Ten team. I'm not expecting to get blown out this badly in many, or possibly any, other games this season. The sky is not falling. I think everyone is just a little more emotional tonight because its ISU.

Whether you're just knee-jerking or are actually impatient to the point of irrational, take a good look at the Ferentz situation and ask yourself whether Barta would even consider firing Fran due to performance at any time within the next 5 years.

High finish in conference? No way.

Even if we could SHOOT, this conference has the best coaching talent in the country. By far. I like Fran as a person but he was horribly out-coached last year. Will be even worse this year.

We won't have Devyn to bail us out at times.

I see 6-12 in conference play unfortunately, and I think I am being optimistic.

Did you see who Nebraska and Michigan lost to? Rutgers is terrible. Northwestern and Penn State are never any good. I'm not scared of Minnesota or Purdue or Indiana. Who does that leave? Wisconsin is obviously very good. Michigan State doesn't look great, but Izzo is still their head coach. Maryland seems pretty good. Win against ISU was impressive, but we would have won this game handily if ISU only made 4 3-pointers. Ohio State is obviously good and Illinois is still no pushover. I think make us at worse middle of the pack with a chance to compete for a high finish.

6-12? Are you kidding me? We have a better chance of winning our last seven conference games than going 6-12.

Latest posts