Womens Wrestling some questions

longtimer

First let me preface this with the acknowledgment that I am not a wrestling fan. I am supportive of equal opportunities for women's athletics. In that context I have a couple of thoughts and questions
Iowa is the only power 5 school to have Women's wrestling and i think only 2 other University schools Sacred heart and Presbetarian have programs?
1st question is by starting this program will other women's sports at Iowa need to go or be reduced?
2nd question is who will we compete with? Do you think rest of Big Ten will follow suit?
3rd question Where will we recruit Do high schools have programs?

Wrestling is very popular in Iowa but not so much on a National basis. Do you think this is going to work?

Going to have to be subsidized forever. Wont draw much of a crowd when the allure is off.
"Won't draw much of a crowd..." Compared to what? Men's tennis? Men's gymnastics? Men's track & field?
Original questions:
1) No other women's sports will be reduced. I'm not sure -- my memory could be off on this -- but I think adding women's wrestling (or at least adding 1 or more women's scholarship sports) was part of the settlement agreement brought by several women UI women athletes a couple years ago. Barta admitted that women's wrestling 'had been a thought', but the timeline was dramatically moved up due to the settlement agreement.
2) The competition question is a good one and I don't have info on that.
3) Many states have sanctioned h.s. girls wrestling, and Iowa has really been behind the times on getting it sanctioned here. The sport is exploding in Iowa in just the last few years. The men's coaches wanted it, the girls wanted it, the schools wanted it, the refs wanted it -- the only people dragging their feet were the Iowa athletic union officials. The future is bright for girls wrestling at the h.s. level in Iowa!

I'm actually kind of excited to watch women's wrestling. I think it's going to be very interesting with quality wrestling and I think Iowa could dominate that sport similar to the men.

I suspect, if not already, many other Div 1, especially BIG 10 teams, will follow suite shortly. It's actually good to be ahead of the ball and a good move for Iowa. Got their coach, choice of recruits, etc.. Also, the fan base at Iowa helps tremendously. I think it's going to be a good draw for Iowa fans.

Latest posts