Wojcik's resume is the most complete.

I wonder how responsible Wojcik was for the big recruiting class Doherty brought in that got him (Doherty) fired for being unruly and subsequently won a national championship for Roy? I have to say I wish he had been an assistant under Roy. But that explains why he then went to MSU, if he came to UNC before Roy.

He was the main recruiter for Felton (UNC) and Thomas (ND), both top 5 point guards at the time.

Recruiting has two sides. You either get the 4 & 5 star talent, which iowa is not going to get very often, or you know how to evaluate talent. I say we borrow Eric Johnson from the football team for a while and see what he can do! Uncover those 1 & 2 stars that are actually 4 & 5 star talents.

What would be nice is if we could get someone that is good at evaluating talent and bring them in as an assistant. BJ Armstrong perhaps? He was a scout for the NBA, so he definitely knows how to evaluate talent. He is a well known personality that could bring in some players. He would be a great representative of the university of Iowa.

I agree, I really like Wojcik. He has the pedigree as an assistant/recruiter and had to build that Tulsa team up from two 9-win seasons before he took over.

He would be a terrible hire. Lick 2.0

Yeah Lick had all of those years as an assistant at elite programs and proving himself as a recruiter. He also inherited a really bad team. Wait, no he didn't...

Some of you have no clue. Look around at the top teams in the tournament and how many of those coaches came from the mid-major ranks.

TODD LICKLITER
2001–2002 Butler 26–6 12–4 1st NIT 2nd Round
2002–2003 Butler 27–6 14–2 1st NCAA Sweet 16
2003–2004 Butler 16–14 8–8 6th
2004–2005 Butler 13–15 7–9 7th
2005–2006 Butler 20–13 11–5 2nd NIT 2nd Round
2006–2007 Butler 29–7 13–3 T-1st NCAA Sweet 16
Butler: 131–61 65–31

WINNER!

Exactly! We need a great recruiter at the big boys level. Not just a Winner at the mid major level. Pass on Wojcik. His personality is too close to Lickliter's as well. At least Gregory has some passion, charisma, etc. Gregory has two kids in the top 120 coming in next year to Dayton. One is the #44 player in country. He looks like the better recruiter.

Yeah Lick had all of those years as an assistant at elite programs and proving himself as a recruiter. He also inherited a really bad team. Wait, no he didn't...

Some of you have no clue. Look around at the top teams in the tournament and how many of those coaches came from the mid-major ranks.
If you want to settle for scraps, be my guest.

If you want to settle for scraps, be my guest.

Translation= "I said he would be exactly the same as Lick even though they have very different backgrounds, coaching history and evidence of recruiting abilities. I'm completely opposed to all mid-major coaches even though the vast majority of top head coaches in the tournament came to their position from a mid-major. I will continue to believe that Iowa should be able to higher a coach from a great program even though they all turn the job down. Thus I will be opposed to any realistic candidates for the Iowa job and continue to pretend that all mid-major coaches are the same."

It does amaze me how certain people hone in on certain things and won't accept any coach that doesnt meet thier single criteria. For some folks it's HC experiecne, for others it's an offensive style, some look for assistant experince at a major, for others it's an outstanding recruiter. Most of the guys we have been talking about are unknown in at least one of these categories so there's always going to be a population on these boards that dismisses them outright.

Here are some coaches that fit EVERY criteria that has been discussed here. Roy Williams, Bill Self, Mark Few, Callapari, Bruce Pearl, Tom Izzo, Scott Drew.... Now there are others, but which one of those guys (outside of Pearl) would be interested in Iowa? MAYBE Drew.... MAYBE.

In all likelyhood the next coach at Iowa is going to be judged "incomplete" by some folks here. That being the case we are going to have to find the guy that is the best overall fit. If you want to label that as "settling" fine. But we need to remember that just because we have to settle on some of the criteria we are looking at doesn't mean the guy won't get the job done.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometiems, you might find you get what you need.

Latest posts