With losing Oglesby to injury, does this cost Iowa any early games?

who? was he even going to play this year? seriously, he's like 12th on the list of important players

That isn't true. Iowa is fairly deep, but most of the depth comes from the 4 position- McCabe, Basabe, Uthoff and White.

Josh would have been one of the first off the bench.

Iowa might lose to a bad team on the road in the Big Ten, because pretty much every team does that. Even good, ranked ones. I don't think we'll lose to any of our non-con cream puff opponents though.

I think poor shooting from the arc could cost Iowa the Xavier/ND/ISU games. Josh was lined up for a big year shooting-wise....if he comes back strong I suspect he will hit over 35% from the arc, good for a volume shooter.

Just the threat of a shooter matters also, in terms of floor spacing and what not. Even though Josh didn't shoot well at all, him being out there still mattered as teams still had to guard him on the perimeter.

Last time I checked we still played on two ends. Our guard court defense has been considerably weakened and I expect Xavier to be a real handful for us now. A quick point guard could put anyone of the three remaining experienced guards on the bench and really put a stress on us. We don't yet know about Mikes foot or his hand for that matter either.

Let's watch tonight's game and we'll have a little better idea of where we're at. At this juncture even with Josh's poor % for last year I don't know where the 3 ball is coming from without him. I do know he's been a threat that has made a spacing difference on the floor and his work ethic coming off screens has made other teams adjust defensively.

Last time I checked we still played on two ends. Our guard court defense has been considerably weakened and I expect Xavier to be a real handful for us now. A quick point guard could put anyone of the three remaining experienced guards on the bench and really put a stress on us. We don't yet know about Mikes foot or his hand for that matter either.

Let's watch tonight's game and we'll have a little better idea of where we're at. At this juncture even with Josh's poor % for last year I don't know where the 3 ball is coming from without him. I do know he's been a threat that has made a spacing difference on the floor and his work ethic coming off screens has made other teams adjust defensively.

Marble, Gesell, McCabe, Jok, and Uthoff

He shot the best of anyone on the European Tour....that is more recent than last season, so evidence that he was getting in a good shooting groove.

He's supposedly been in a good shooting groove when it doesn't count for two years, don't see why things would all of a sudden be different this year and he's European Tour shooting certainly didn't translate against Augie.

For those who know BB Josh shot might not be falling but he's a good defender, passer and doesn't make mistakes or turn the ball over. What I saw of Jok in the Exhibition was someone who is a big liability on defense. Jok shot needs to be falling at a very high rate for him to see the court to off set his poor defensive play.

His passing is superior and his D have improved each year. He doesn't make many mistakes on offense, other than missing threes along with the rest of the team. He might be the most sure-handed player on the team and is basketball savvy. He will be missed to a degree, but we will have plenty of players who will gain experience with his absence.....

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
He's supposedly been in a good shooting groove when it doesn't count for two years, don't see why things would all of a sudden be different this year and he's European Tour shooting certainly didn't translate against Augie.

Barometric pressure is slightly different in Europe than it is in the US, so guys might shoot well there and then when they get back in the States, they don't shoot quite as well.

This may actually be a blessing for a few reasons...

1) jok will be forced to play a few more minutes and will be able to get more acclimated offensively and learn how to play defense.

2) it will open up minutes at the 2 for jok which gives more minutes to uthoff at the 3 and I believe uthoff will be the most important piece to iowa getting to the next level as a team. He will be needed to pick up for how teams will key on marble and try to keep white away from the hustle pts. This will open up guys like uthoff and gesell but uthoff can help in more ways than gesell as he can do those hustle pts for white and shoot the 3 ball too. His game is such a compliment to everyone that we need him as soon as possible to get acclimated.

3) it might actually get ogelsby to learn to get his feet in a better position before he catches the ball which could get him a quicker release. And a more consistent shot. Plus it could get him to focus even more on a consistent stroke and make him more of a set shooter and lose a little lift from his feet on his shot which could also help him with his consistency. Lots of ifs but I think he is a hard worker and this could benefit him even though playing is good maybe this might help more than we realize.

Latest posts