With all the UI Football Jerseys out there...

Herdman

Why doesn't UI use #16 instead of # 5 and #11? Or at least give us the option?

I won't even buy one b/c they don't have #16 as an option, let alone let my kids have one that isn't as good as #16 was for the Black and Gold.

The UI doesn't actually produce #5 or #11 anymore. I personally love my #11 jersey, and I was dying to get one because I was a big Ed Hinkel fan. But they stopped making those jerseys after Hinkel and Tate graduated (I always like to point that out when the NCAA spouts off about "amateurism" and how players can't make money off of their abilities). Just like they no longer make Mitch King.....sorry, #47 jerseys now. Stanzi, Angerer, Hampton, Sash, and Edds were the jerseys I would see on the racks at Scheels before the season started. So you're gonna have to wait until 2011 to get #16.

Do they put out a few new numbers every year? What numbers can we expect to see for the coming season? How many numbers do we normally see per year?

I think my collection starts at Dallas Clark, moves onto Jermelle Lewis, and then rounds up at Mitch King.

Didn't get one this last year, if I recall correctly..

Do they put out a few new numbers every year? What numbers can we expect to see for the coming season? How many numbers do we normally see per year?

I think my collection starts at Dallas Clark, moves onto Jermelle Lewis, and then rounds up at Mitch King.

Didn't get one this last year, if I recall correctly..

I'm not sure how many numbers they put out a year, but this year you will see #12 and #94 for sure and I wouldn't be surprised to see #15.

my collection starts and ends with a Jared Devries #94 that my wife bought

never been motivated to spend the kind of money they ask for a jersey

Jerseys are way too expensive, and quite frankly, it feels a bit creepy as a grown man to be wearing the jersey of someone younger than me. I'm really not a jersey guy anyway, but even if I were I'd have to go with a throwback or retired number type of deal, from someone not young enough to have been born after "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was a hit.

I've always heard that they pick 2 or 3 jersey numbers per year (based on the most popular players).

I've always heard that they pick 2 or 3 jersey numbers per year (based on the most popular players).

Usually that's the case. They did a few more this year, however. You will definitely see 12 and 94, and I would probably guess that 9 will be back as well. And maybe 15.

If I had to choose one number to be put on a Hawkeye jersey it would be #24. Nile Kinnick's number. It is retired, but who could argue with wearing the number of Iowa's only Heisman winner.

Usually that's the case. They did a few more this year, however. You will definitely see 12 and 94, and I would probably guess that 9 will be back as well. And maybe 15.

I agree those will be the four produced this year. Maybe #3 too?

I have 46 (Ladell Betts), 7 (Banks OB jersey that I wore as McNutt OB jersey this year), 29 (Lewis) and 21 (Albert Young). I was going to buy a Fiesta Bowl jersey this year, but obviously couldn't...

I haven't felt the desire to buck up the $ lately either though considering they are all pretty much the same (black jersey, white numbers, gold stripes on arms, etc) except the Banks one is white. They do ask a lot for those things. And I agree that as I get older I wear less and less jerseys. Although I think I have between 30-40 sports jerseys in my closet. Man I wish I could have that money back...

I wear my #11 on gameday as Ed Hinkel is one of my favorite hawkeyes, I hope to get it autographed by him someday so I can retire it and hang it on the wall.

I wear my #11 on gameday as Ed Hinkel is one of my favorite hawkeyes, I hope to get it autographed by him someday so I can retire it and hang it on the wall.

I have an Ed Hinkel #11 Jersey autographed and I wear it to games...I love it! Hinkel was awesome!!

I have an awesome Ed Hinkel photo of his diving TD catch against ISU in '04. Got it from the late IowaDoc from the old site. Had Ed sign it, and I display it prominently on my wall in the office! :)

I have an awesome Ed Hinkel photo of his diving TD catch against ISU in '04. Got it from the late IowaDoc from the old site. Had Ed sign it, and I display it prominently on my wall in the office! :)

Personally, that catch is only 3rd on my all-time favorite Hinkel catches. My favorite was the one-handed diving catch at Michigan going against Marlin Jackson. #2 is the diving catch he made in the back of the endzone against Penn State his freshman year. How he managed to tuck his elbows in-bounds on that one, I'll never figure out. One of the all-timers, IMO.

I have the #24 retro jersey and a #33 Sanders. I occassionally wear them at home on gameday. I'm with Bucket on wearing jerseys. Feels wierd. Don't wear them outside the house.

I was under the impression that the team selected the number(s) to be put on jerseys. The funny thing is they have to make that call before the season starts. I remember one year they selected 34 for Aaron Gieving? and he never played a down that year.