With Adrian Martinez in the portal

That’s total, not lost.

But still…that’s a hell of a lot. And like I said he’s just plain dropped balls and muffed tons of handoffs/snaps. He’s butterfingered.
Still, not sure Iowa's qbs have put it on the ground 34 times in the last 10 years or more.

Maybe Frost will have a ride waiting for him, like Minnesota's Joe Salem in 1983.

Joe came up to Hayden before the game and offered a pregame handshake, explaining to Fry that he had already been fired and had a ride waiting after the game. Iowa pasted Minny that day as the gophs decided to quit tackling and three Iowa backs, including then wideout Ronnie Harmon, eclipsed 10o yards. Whatever the final score was (and I believe Iowa was in the sixties) it still wasn't indicative of how dominant they were that day. I want to say we possessed the ball for over forty five minutes.

As for Salem, it is widely believed that he disappeared sometime in the second half and for a time Minnesota was playing without a head coach. Oh would it be funny if Frost met a similar fate.
Absolutely. At the time his public butt spanking got announced I didn’t realize that Kinnick Stadium 2022 will likely be the last minute of Big Ten football he ever participates in. It would be great to make it an ass whooping with people celebrating as he hits the tunnel.

Wow, got this tidbit from the Husker board. Hmm.. Ya question if he was really hurt for the Iowa game. Was Frost trying to pull all the stops to beat Iowa then go into next season with just a bit of leverage?

Rumors going around saying he didn’t have much of a choice. Frost wanted to move on.
Makes sense... The kid that played for em against us has some promise to him too. I'm not surprised Frost had had enough of Martinez and I'm sure that goes both ways.... Martinez was a turnover machine. For every great play he made two bad ones and they were usually in the 4th q with the game on the line. They both shoulda wanted to break up I would think

Two points to what you state.

1) Iowa doesn't primarily work from under center all that much anymore. At least 85% of their snaps are out of the gun. They transitioned to that from at least Beathard forward.

2) The statement that if he came to Iowa he would not be taxed mentally is completely wrong. Many fans say Iowa doesn't run a very complicated offense and is not too involved. Contrary to popular belief, actually it is, and very involved, much like an NFL style. People that know football understand this. I am not saying you don't know football, either.

The QB in Iowa's system is making a lot of reads prior to the snap. They are running a complex offense. A runner going in motion is not to trick a defender, per se, a runner goes in motion to allow the QB to gain info, such as is the defense going to be in zone or man-to-man that play. This will cut down on the QB reads. In addition, the QB's are making very technical passes depending on the situation. Back shoulder throws, fade routes, air under the ball just a bit for a certain route, zip on the ball for others. This all comes into play. Not all QB's excel at all the throws. Is KF really going to bring a QB in for one year which would have to make fit his system, again, just to get one year out of him. I don't think KF would be interested in this project for a 1 year gain, in addition, upset the QB room. Would Joey Labbas or the current #2 on the depth chart appreciate this. Coaches do not want players who have been in the system and who could be the future leaving after grooming them.

Again, Martinez would come from a completely different style than what Iowa runs with a stiff learning curve for 1 year. Is it worth revamping that skill set or risking the QB room to bring that situation into play. Those are the questions.
1) Seriously? 17 out of 20 snaps from the gun seems very high. I've seen every game this year and while we are doing more gun stuff than years past, it didn't seem like we have run that many.

2) Anything an offense can do to try to force a defense to tip their hand only make an offense better, which is why most offenses incorporate these types of things into their plans. Motion is one way, formations are another, strength is a 3rd (such as putting twins/trips into the boundary, for example)...that's not exclusive to the Iowa offense. The throws you mentioned are also in every offense...most QB's are taught to throw a guy open, so often times that will dictate ball placement/power needed to make said throw. Maybe what I should have said in terms of it being taxing is that the passing game is one thing, but in the running game, there are often times several post-snap decisions that have to be made as well. And, even when he's not carrying the ball himself, he is frequently forced to make those decisions. The idea that he could run an offense where 20+ times again he could take an under center snap (if this is even an option...not sure he's done that AT ALL at Nebby) and turn around and hand the ball to a decent RB without having to worry about anything except booting/carrying out the fake was what I was referring to in our run game.

The interpersonal stuff, I have no idea. I don't know what our existing QB's are going to do. It doesn't seem like something the staff would do, throwing 2 potential starters to the side in favor of a 1 year rental, but it's something that I find intriguing because Martinez would be so different from what we have in the building now. I don't dispute any of your last paragraph either. It's a cost/benefit analysis...such as the under center thing. I think all I'm saying is that he has game-changing mobility and in an offense where he didn't have to carry so much of the load (he's probably about 60% of plays ran through him, either running or throwing, while about 70% of the yardage), I would be interested to see what he could do. But to your point...at what price?

Don’t forget just days ago that Martinez had “us” soiling our panties, trashing our britches, filling our Depends because of his dual threat-ness. So, he’s kind’a legit. Or, could he be Nebby’s last chance to win a game against us – by sabotage? His possibly one-year of eligibility might send Padilla into the portal, who I think has great potential for accuracy and scrambling with just a bit more experience. It’s just not a good Iowa ‘look’ to depend too much on portal people, especially at QB – nothing personal, Deuce. What would our recruits think after all those sales pitches ‘bout next-man-in?

I have no clue on two or more issues. First, why would AM be interested in Iowa? Second, we he even be a good fit? Third, I have said for years that Iowa runs a very complex, NFL oriented offense. Could AM learn it and operate effectively in one year? Would he be able to stay injury free? Would he be able to control his plethora of INT’s and fumbles? All told, don’t see this happening.

Absolutely. At the time his public butt spanking got announced I didn’t realize that Kinnick Stadium 2022 will likely be the last minute of Big Ten football he ever participates in. It would be great to make it an ass whooping with people celebrating as he hits the tunnel.
That is...if he lasts the season.

I didn't realize it was that high a fumble total. That just negates the advantage of a running QB. Iowa can't afford that much charity.

Latest posts