Wisconsin to get heated football field

guffus

Wisconsin is getting a heated football field in 2024 just in case they host a playoff game for the CFP.

Could Iowa and other Big Ten schools decide to do the same thing?

Makes sense... I mean they have all this dang $ may as well use it. At which point schools have their stadiums and practice facilities all updated they gotta find something to do with all that $ they keep bringing in. Why not all BIG schools do it?

I could definitely see OSU, PSU and Neb following suit.

Michigan and MSU could maybe play in the Lions indoor stadium but I could see both of them just shelling out the money for heated fields.

On the other hand, Ind and Purdue might be more likely to just use the Colts Stadium if they ever host a playoff game.

Rutgers could use the NFL Giants stadium and MD could use the Ravens or Commanders stadium. NW can play in Soldier Field and in the new Bears indoor stadium if it gets built.

The Gophers I think installed heated fields when the Vikings played there. Not sure if they are still there, but the Gophers might choose to play in the Vikings stadium anyway.

Illinois could be a tough call. Maybe they will install heated fields or maybe they will just play any playoff games in the new Bears indoor stadium.

Iowa I am guessing will also install heated fields, but I guess an alternative is to play on a frozen field or maybe play in the new Bears indoor stadium too.

I could definitely see OSU, PSU and Neb following suit.

Michigan and MSU could maybe play in the Lions indoor stadium but I could see both of them just shelling out the money for heated fields.

On the other hand, Ind and Purdue might be more likely to just use the Colts Stadium if they ever host a playoff game.

Rutgers could use the NFL Giants stadium and MD could use the Ravens or Commanders stadium. NW can play in Soldier Field and in the new Bears indoor stadium if it gets built.

The Gophers I think installed heated fields when the Vikings played there. Not sure if they are still there, but the Gophers might choose to play in the Vikings stadium anyway.

Illinois could be a tough call. Maybe they will install heated fields or maybe they will just play any playoff games in the new Bears indoor stadium.

Iowa I am guessing will also install heated fields, but I guess an alternative is to play on a frozen field or maybe play in the new Bears indoor stadium too.
Could we please heat the stands in November? Thanks!

Could we please heat the stands in November? Thanks!
I was gonna say the same thing. To heck with heated fields -- frozen fields could be a huge home-field advantage. Can you imagine Florida or Miami coming up to play at Kinnick in late December?? Heated STANDS are where it's at!

If you could figure out a way to heat just 15 yard segments of the field and turn it up 220 degrees on the opposing defense’s portion of the field that would be great.

Well against Brian’s offense just five yards as the stack eleven in the box against us. ;)

The Nits just announced the same thing....in hopes they get to host a first round playoff game....

Here is one for you: Attraction of Playoff Games has nothing at all to do with a heated field project. Its purpose is clearly to match up with the new spread offense a’la’ Luke Fickel. Wanna bet?

You know, with NBC now requiring a Big Ten game every Saturday night, those heated fields could be handy on those cold Saturday nights in November. It was not that long ago that the Big Ten did not play any games on Saturday night in November. This won't make the fans any warmer, but at least the players are the field will be comfy.

I could definitely see Iowa doing this, now that I think about it. It may not be worth it just to host a playoff game once a decade, but it might be worth it for the 2 home games a year in November. Wisconsin's estimate is it would cost $5M to install, which is chump change in today's Big Ten.

You know, with NBC now requiring a Big Ten game every Saturday night, those heated fields could be handy on those cold Saturday nights in November. It was not that long ago that the Big Ten did not play any games on Saturday night in November. This won't make the fans any warmer, but at least the players are the field will be comfy.

I could definitely see Iowa doing this, now that I think about it. It may not be worth it just to host a playoff game once a decade, but it might be worth it for the 2 home games a year in November. Wisconsin's estimate is it would cost $5M to install, which is chump change in today's Big Ten.

If it's anything like basketball, whatever committee they have will push like hell to avoid any sort of trip for a blue blood to go to Camp Randall or Kinnick in December. They cannot have some team like Texas, Florida or Georgia lose a 12-10 game in the playoff to a team like Iowa or Wisconsin that would lose the next game 55-3. It would be a disaster.

Here is one for you: Attraction of Playoff Games has nothing at all to do with a heated field project. Its purpose is clearly to match up with the new spread offense a’la’ Luke Fickel. Wanna bet?

Wouldn't surprise me. I don't know how many times ADs will have to see the failure of that offense in the Big Ten for them to give up on it. Keeping the field warm doesn't do anything when the jet stream is pulling down 19 degree Canadian air that is gusting at 25 miles an hour.

If it's anything like basketball, whatever committee they have will push like hell to avoid any sort of trip for a blue blood to go to Camp Randall or Kinnick in December. They cannot have some team like Texas, Florida or Georgia lose a 12-10 game in the playoff to a team like Iowa or Wisconsin that would lose the next game 55-3. It would be a disaster.
Thoae fluke upsets can happen on a neutral field too. Remember how TCU did after upsetting Michigan in the CFP semi-finals?

Thoae fluke upsets can happen on a neutral field too. Remember how TCU did after upsetting Michigan in the CFP semi-finals?

I don't disagree, but I am not sure that I would deem some southern blue blood losing a road game in 12 degree weather to necessarily be a fluke upset. They just ain't built to play in that shit. It's like when Troy beat Nebraska when it was 95 degrees a few years ago. 'Braska wasn't good that year, but they also wilted in the heat and Troy had no problems with it. The weather adds a major variable that favors the northern teams late in the season.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Do OSU and Michigan already have heated fields? I would think they would be the first two to do it over anyone else in the B1G.