Wisconsin short lived...back to reality

HaydenHawk56

Seemed like when Iowa would make a little run, another 3 goes down for Nebraska. They are still fighting here at the end and they have scored a lot of points tonight. But, defense is still a major weak point.

We aren’t athletic enough to play defense . If you look at the current roster and the next two recruiting classes and I understand the classes aren’t complete, I see nothing in the near future that will change our defensive ability

Nebbys has a real home court advantage, loud fans, and great athletes. How did Miles do it?. Refs love him to, did you see the smoozing during breaks. On the other hand the refs go out of their way to ignore Fran. That's not good for Iowa. And you can see in the calls. Has Fran just poisoned the water with the officials? When the refs award that many fouls to a team shooting mostly jump shots something isn't right.

Nebbys has a real home court advantage, loud fans, and great athletes. How did Miles do it?. Refs love him to, did you see the smoozing during breaks. On the other hand the refs go out of their way to ignore Fran. That's not good for Iowa. And you can see in the calls. Has Fran just poisoned the water with the officials? When the refs award that many fouls to a team shooting mostly jump shots something isn't right.

If there are game officials out there consciously making the liking or disliking of a coach a factor in calling a game they are not the caliber of people that should be officials in any sporting event.

I would agree with your assumptions in that game last night and how it was officiated. IMHO, it was very apparent that two of the refs, I will call them chrome dome and pot belly, were obviously bias in their play calling. Those two buzzards were very influential in the out come of that game and that is something that should never happen.

This in no way is an attempt to excuse Iowa for its inability to play defense. The Hawkeyes are not a good basketball team right now.

Last edited:
If there are game officials out there consciously making the liking or disliking of a coach a factor in calling a game they are not the caliber of people that should be officials in any sporting event.

I would agree with your assumptions in that game last night and how it was officiated. IMHO, it was very apparent that two of the refs, I will call them chrome dome and pot belly, were obviously bias in their play calling. Those two buzzards were very influential in the out come of that game and that is something that should never happen.

This in no way is an attempt to excuse Iowa for its inability to play defense. The Hawkeyes are not a good basketball team right now.

I can definitely see Frans demeanor being a turnoff to officials. He certainly doesn’t do himself any favors in that dept.

About the refs.
Years ago coaching hs baseball. Late in game. 2 undefeated teams. We are the visitors. Large crowd. 1-1 in 5th. Our runner on 1st.

Other coach belittling umps whole game. Sent runner home from 1st and he tripped on 3rd. He got up and tried to score. I know the rules. I reached out and grabbed him anyway and pushed him back on 3rd.

Other coach goes Fran Nuclear. Ump was right behind me and saw the whole thing. With the other coach screaming at him the ump asked me if I touched the player. I smirked and turned my back on him and didnt say anything. Play ball he yelled.

We won the game.

Point - officiating does impact games. Refs are human. Fran doesnt appear to try and build rapport with officials. It costs him.

I can definitely see Frans demeanor being a turnoff to officials. He certainly doesn’t do himself any favors in that dept.

Yes, it is and no he doesn't. Fran needs to learn how to let officials know his displeasure in a less conspicuous way. If you belittle anybody in front of 12,000 people it never works in your favor.

About the refs.
Years ago coaching hs baseball. Late in game. 2 undefeated teams. We are the visitors. Large crowd. 1-1 in 5th. Our runner on 1st.

Other coach belittling umps whole game. Sent runner home from 1st and he tripped on 3rd. He got up and tried to score. I know the rules. I reached out and grabbed him anyway and pushed him back on 3rd.

Other coach goes Fran Nuclear. Ump was right behind me and saw the whole thing. With the other coach screaming at him the ump asked me if I touched the player. I smirked and turned my back on him and didnt say anything. Play ball he yelled.

We won the game.

Point - officiating does impact games. Refs are human. Fran doesnt appear to try and build rapport with officials. It costs him.

Fran needs to take a lesson from baseball players. They can get by with complaining about calls as long as they don't look at the ump. They direct their ire at the ump and they are gone. If you jump up and run out on the court?

Fran needs to take a lesson from baseball players. They can get by with complaining about calls as long as they don't look at the ump. They direct their ire at the ump and they are gone. If you jump up and run out on the court?

Exactly, he makes it personal.

About the refs.

We won the game.

I always use humor and then sarcasm with officials and I've never had a problem with them. I can only think of 1 game in Wichita, where the home town officials were clearly calling fouls to benefit the other team. I was getting pissed, no doubt but I never yelled at the officials. I told the tournament director that I wouldn't bring another team back to their tournament and I haven't. I do have some good stories about officials.

We aren’t athletic enough to play defense . If you look at the current roster and the next two recruiting classes and I understand the classes aren’t complete, I see nothing in the near future that will change our defensive ability

Wisconsin has never been an athletic team, but they always play solid defense. Many years under Bo Ryan they were excellent on defense. Defense is about desire, discipline, and teamwork. Being a great athlete helps but Iowa could be a solid defensive team if they wanted to be. Fran and his players just don't put in the work necessary to do it.

About the refs.

We won the game.

What a proud moment THAT must have been :)

Wisconsin has never been an athletic team, but they always play solid defense. Many years under Bo Ryan they were excellent on defense. Defense is about desire, discipline, and teamwork. Being a great athlete helps but Iowa could be a solid defensive team if they wanted to be. Fran and his players just don't put in the work necessary to do it.

Always nice to have a team that gets outworked. Something to hang ones hat on.

Bo Ryan knew how to win with the players he could get. That's for sure.

Latest posts