Wirfs wins state wrestling title

peerok

I was watching the state wrestling tournament on tv Saturday night and just happened to catch future hawkeye Tristan Wirfs winning the 2A 285 pound championship. He looks like he has the frame to easily put on another 30 or pounds. You've got to love kids who have the athleticism and mental and physical toughness to be good wrestlers. I usually try not to get to excited about a recruit until they actually step on the field and do something at the college level, but I am super excited about this kid.

He's a big boy. I didn't realize how big he is until you see him matched up against other HW wrestlers, but still with speed and agility. He dwarfed those other dudes. I, too, am looking forward to him on the OL in the next few years.

Do you think he has a chance to play as a true freshman like Daniels?

I think there's a decent chance. We'll have three seniors on the starting OL this year and grooming some of the guys for the future will be important.

I think there's a decent chance. We'll have three seniors on the starting OL this year and grooming some of the guys for the future will be important.

I have a slightly-related question for you:

Who are the sure-fire NFL guys on the current roster? It seems like Daniels and Welsh, and then at best some rookie free-agents after that. Is there any buzz around some of the young guys developing into a top prospect, in the mode of a Brandon Scherff (maybe not 1st-round, but someone who will definitely get drafted)?

Part of me hopes he redshirts. I really like him and that extra year might be really huge for him. I don't think we are lacking for bodies. Didn't we have like 5 or 6 kids Olineman in the class before last? I'd like to think Wirfs could be redshirted and allowed to learn and build himself up. Now that he's done wrestling he can concentrate on that. That up and down fluctuating of his weight that much couldn't have been good for him or anyone.

Who are the sure-fire NFL guys on the current roster? It seems like Daniels and Welsh, and then at best some rookie free-agents after that. Is there any buzz around some of the young guys developing into a top prospect, in the mode of a Brandon Scherff (maybe not 1st-round, but someone who will definitely get drafted)?

Are we talking just OL? If so, Daniels would be the one that has the chance to be high pick at this point, but that's not always easy for centers. Welsh is underrated but could raise his stock this season. I think he will.

Alaric Jackson has a high ceiling. He and the other younger, inexperienced guys will need to develop more, obviously. Boettger and Myers have a chance to stick as guards, IMO, but at this point will need to do so as late-round picks or FAs.

Akrum Wadley

I meant OL specifically, sorry for the ambiguity. Iowa had a nice run of first-round-worthy OL (Bulaga, Reiff, Scherff); it seems like maybe they are lacking that right now.

I agree the Wadley is sure-fire NFL talent, likely first 3 rounds if his #5 draft-eligible RB projection by Kiper last year was close to accurate.

I'm hearing that Alaric Jackson is BIG time.

Which Iowa offensive line has gone on to have the most starters play in the NFL? I just looked up Hawkeye draft picks on wikipedia, and I saw the following clusters:
  • Sobieski (5th), Nelson (2nd), and Steinbach (2nd) in 2003, and Gallery (1st) in 2004; I imagine the 4 of them all started on the same OL in 2002
  • Yanda (3rd) and Elgin (7th) in 2007, Olsen (4th) in 2009
  • Bulaga (1st) in 2010, Vandervelde (5th) in 2011, Reiff (1st) and Gettis (5th) in 2012; I don't think Gettis (sophomore at the time) would have really played at all with Bulaga, but not sure
  • Tobin (FA) in 2013, Ferentz (FA) in 2014, Scherff (1st) and Donnal (4th) in 2015, and Blythe (7th) in 2016; I am pretty sure those last 4 would have played together; not sure if all 4 of them would have been playing/starting when Tobin was still playing in 2012
I probably missed some others who played in NFL after signing as a free-agent, the only I could easily identify were ones currently on NFL rosters (Tobin and Ferentz).

So the leaders look to be the 2002 line with 4 future pros starting, and then the 2013 line, also with 4 future pros (though lower draft-picks or FA). 2009 had at least 3 future pros among its starters, including 2 future 1st round draft picks.

I wonder how many future pros will be on the 2-deeps of the OL this fall?

Why hasn't '02 been replicated in the last 15 years? Just too much good fortune that went into that one coming together that it is unlikely to happen again?

The '09 group was a big part of the top-10 finish that year.

Interesting that the top-10 finish in '15 happened with an o-line that will probably not have many drafted (or at least not very high). Blythe was drafted in the 7th, and Welsh will likely by drafted, and Myers and Boettger have a shot.

anyone serious about getting better at football should either wrestle or play basketball. Wrestling helps with leverage and knowing how to use your body and the other person's momentum against them..........not relying on brute force all the time. Basketball, footwork, overall athleticism, hand eye coordination.

Why hasn't '02 been replicated in the last 15 years? Just too much good fortune that went into that one coming together that it is unlikely to happen again?

The '09 group was a big part of the top-10 finish that year.

Interesting that the top-10 finish in '15 happened with an o-line that will probably not have many drafted (or at least not very high). Blythe was drafted in the 7th, and Welsh will likely by drafted, and Myers and Boettger have a shot.

Forgot that the '15 o-line also started Daniels, meaning they could very well end up having all starters play in the NFL (depending upon whether you consider Boettger or Croston the other starting OT). The crazy thing is that 4 of them will still be playing this fall, 2 seasons later.

I was watching the state wrestling tournament on tv Saturday night and just happened to catch future hawkeye Tristan Wirfs winning the 2A 285 pound championship. He looks like he has the frame to easily put on another 30 or pounds. You've got to love kids who have the athleticism and mental and physical toughness to be good wrestlers. I usually try not to get to excited about a recruit until they actually step on the field and do something at the college level, but I am super excited about this kid.
He'll have 30 pounds on him by fall. He cut a lot of weight to wrestle at 285. He moves really well for a big kid. I see him being a left tackle. Good height, arm length and feet.

Latest posts