Winter Weather & CFB Playoff

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Dan Wetzel wrote Death to the BCS. A good read.

He is an advocate of a 16 team FBS playoff, with teams with higher seed getting the home field until the title game.

I just don't see this as realistic. Take yesterday's weather as a case in point. Wisconsin, Michigan State and Ohio State would have likely been top 8 seeds, and therefore hosted playoff games.

We know the weather that took place, and that could take place on any December weekend.

People want to bring up NFL games in December. There is a huge difference here; NFL franchises are located in cities that have close to a million people living in them, or quite a bit more. Those people don't have far too far to make it to the stadium, most of them just navigating the city roads in which they live without having to experience much rural transit.

That's not the case at the major college level. Madison is not a huge city. People drive upwards of three hours to come to Wisconsin home games (of course with a good number being closer) and the majority of the fans in attendance have at least 20 to 30 miles of rural driving to traverse. State College, PA is hardly a metropolis, and the rural travel there is greater. Same with Iowa. Even if you live in Cedar Rapids or Davenport, you have a stretch of rural driving to deal with. Des Moines season ticket holders would have had a decision yesterday; risk putting the car in the ditch or go to a home playoff game.

Don't think that these playoff games are going to be 11am starts, either. People talk about the huge money that could come from this, and it would be huge. However, the TV networks are going to be paying the freight for that...which is why these games will be on mid afternoon and night in nearly every case. That means the drive home, potentially in dangerous or rough conditions, will be at night.

Imagine leaving Kinnick in conditions like we saw last night...you probably would need to go to a hotel. Good luck finding a room anywhere in Iowa City, as those rooms would already be booked. That's the case for home games in September.

So you are going to brave the drive to Davenport or Des Moines, or Cedar Falls, etc...and then you, and scores of others, ditch your car. The sheer number of incidents and emergency calls would likely overtax the system, and you could be in for a long wait. If you were injured, that adds exponential layers to the problem.

This problem would not come up every year, and many of the teams in a playoff probably dont have this weather to deal with if you look at the historically great teams. But you are probably going to have one or two teams that are hosting games, once every couple of years or possibly a few times in the same FB playoff season, that will have to deal with this sort of thing...and it's a problem with this model. I am localizing this from an Iowa perspective, but you can insert several bad winter weather locales in place of Iowa here. Go look at the BCS standings and the top six or seven teams in the final rankings in recent years and you can find some cold weather programs that would have hosted December playoff games.

A 16 team FBS playoff with home games for the higher seeds is just not feasible. Nor would it be right to play the games in the warmer climates for the sake of weather, as the travel aspects come into play.

I realize there is a 16 team playoff at the FCS level. But you are talking about programs that get 10-15k people at their games...far more local fan base, far fewer people that travel decent distances.

It's just not something that will work.

Last edited:
agree. if you go playoff model, they'll have to trim the number of teams down and work it into the bowl game locations. sure the die-hards will, but very few casual fans will want to watch the "ice bowl".

Oh its cold oh it's snowing ***** whine moan.

No wonder the southern/California teams have it so easy; the rest of the country is a bunch of pansies.

It is obviously feasible because EVERY OTHER LEVEL OF FOOTBALL DOES IT.

Oh its cold oh it's snowing ***** whine moan.

No wonder the southern/California teams have it so easy; the rest of the country is a bunch of pansies.

It is obviously feasible because EVERY OTHER LEVEL OF FOOTBALL DOES IT.

but do you know how they do it? i'll take the university of sioux falls for example. they've won or been in the national championship in NAIA like the last 4 years. but, the playoffs start sooner, and the last couple rounds of the playoff are down south. that, and there's significantly less travel to worry about. the FBS level has a lot more to deal with. no saying its not possible, but i bet the TV aspect will force them to make sure the games are somewhere in a dome or down south.

Last edited:
Ideas:

1. You could start the pre-season and season earlier (a week), giving you a good-weather-insurance cushion...

2. ...coupled with, a home-field-advantage game for the first two round only, 3rd round played neutral, 4th round game = champ game. You just might be able to be fortunate with the weather in this case. This 2-1-1 setup would of course have to be mandated for all playoff teams.

3. Not sure that a 11am starting time is such a definite non-starter. I'd say the networks would probably agree, in the northern tier, 11am starts make sense, for the reasons you give.

4. I'm a stat guy, so, I'd be interested to see just how many actual "first two" Saturdays in December, for all Big-10 schools, the past 50 years, have had blizzards of this proportion. I'd guess probably few and far between. Playoff people would have to play the odds I'd guess.

5. And I'm talking a true blizzard....not cold...not a few inches of snow...a truely incapacitating, dangerous blizzard.

6. Motels would be problematic for the smaller towns, not so much for the metropolitan areas. With that stated....

7. If you have to postphone a game a day, yes, you'd have to extend a night (which I don't see as an issue since they clear out the day after the game I'd imagine, but I could be wrong). But, if you didn't have a reservation, you'd be hosed, or forced to drive back. That is an interesting point.

8. If I were driving to IC, and had motel reservations already, and the weather was going to be iffy, I'd simply try to book for two nights. No need to drive back the same day. Not sure what capacity there would be, but it's the tact I would take. Actually, I'd probably book for two nights anyway, just in case.

9. A bit of a tangent, but there's a difference in the two arguments between "getting to" and "sitting through" a game in these conditions. "Sitting through" is far less problematic than "getting to" IMO.

10. My last point is the money, which is running the playoffs anyway. Butts in seats, while providing the home field advantage you want to give to the higher seeded team, pale in comparison to what the TV dollars are. My point: If a team (say Iowa) cannot fill the stadium once because of the weather, the lost sales aren't going to make a spit-in-the-ocean difference regarding playoff income for that year, not with sixteen teams and the resultant 15 total playoff games, every single year.

Good points by Jon. You should email Wetzel (with some authority as the HN founder) and ask what his opinion might be on the issue.

Last edited:
Really? How do the Packers play their games and have a full stadium in the metropolis of Green Bay? For games that are this big, people will make it happen.

You are the worst wienie about weather Jon.

had to edit myself- i didnt present any kind of valid debatable take- just a vent on traditionalism.

I still would prefer a playoff is all i really said in that rant

Last edited:
The game in Soldier Field just started and the field looks like a damn winter white and green checkerboard - that would be a dream come true setting for a Big Ten championship. University of MN -Duluth hosted the Div II playoffs last night with a minus 15 wind chill. :)

The game in Soldier Field just started and the field looks like a damn winter white and green checkerboard - that would be a dream come true setting for a Big Ten championship. University of MN -Duluth hosted the Div II playoffs last night with a minus 15 wind chill. :)

+1!!!

This Bears-Pats game is exactly why they SHOULD be playing the championship at Soldier field. This is fantastic!

And you can't act like we get a Blizzard all the time. I know we've been hit pretty good the last two years, but really this type of thing only happens once every few years. And most times the odds are it's not going to be the day of your home playoff game.

So Jon do you think Iowa and Nebraska shouldn't play the Saturday after Thanksgiving when that game could be for a division title or move it St. Louis so it could be inside? It is just as likely to be cold and snowing that day as it is on December 11th. How many inches did it snow in Minnesota before the Iowa/Minnesota game this year?

And before somebody asks, I'll address the playoff/outdoors versus Big-10 champ game/outdoors....I really do think there's a difference.

Playoff--northern team versus southern team. Higher-seeded northern team should get the absolute best advantage they deserve (seeding after a more-successful season should mean something).

Champ game--we want to showcase the best product on the field we possibly can....for bowl game and/or seeding purposes. Indoors provides the best scenerio.

It's just not something that will work.

This statement sums up the entire problem with college football right now. People are too closed minded to really look at this as a possibility.

Attendance doesn't even really matter. Its all about paid attendance and playoff games will sell out if they are played in the homefield situation, regardless of the weather. Tickets would go on sale the second the match up is determined, a week prior to the game.

Plus, TV revenues would be off the charts, we are talking 2nd only to the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl. That's where the money will be made here.

Ratings for a "Snow Bowl" type game would be huge. Everyone would be watching, no matter the teams.

This statement sums up the entire problem with college football right now. People are too closed minded to really look at this as a possibility.

a.) Attendance doesn't even really matter. Its all about paid attendance and playoff games will sell out if they are played in the homefield situation, regardless of the weather. Tickets would go on sale the second the match up is determined, a week prior to the game.

b.) Plus, TV revenues would be off the charts, we are talking 2nd only to the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl. That's where the money will be made here.

c.) Ratings for a "Snow Bowl" type game would be huge. Everyone would be watching, no matter the teams.

Funny.....a - c sounds a lot like my #10 in my original post. :p

No way can you use the bowls as neutral sight destinations unless you made it a four team playoff and hope for any sort of neutrality since the VAST majority of the bowls are in the south. The Florida, Texas, and California teams would have a built in advantage if you tried to make those "neutral sites." There is also the matter of travel expenses for both the teams and fans. As has been shown numerous times there is a small percentage of schools with solvent athletic programs, most of them are needing state tax dollars to fund them. New Mexico, I know they are not a playoff contender, can't afford to fire their coach because the state is in a serious budget crunch. In a 16 team playoff how many fans from Wisconsin, tOSU, Pitt, and so on be willing to travel to Arizona for a first round game one weekend, Florida the next, then Texas, then back to Arizona? Better question is how many would be able to afford that? With the higher seeded teams getting to host the games they would be better attended with team fans. Those that can afford to travel, will, just like during the regular season. If you worry about a rare blizzard like this affecting the warm weather teams and travel, well, it's a risk you just have to take. What about the weather affecting a team like Michigan if they have to play in the south if it is going through a heat wave where temps may be in the 80's and they are not used to it? Point is, weather has been a factor in games since the beginning and even with the advent of domed stadiums, it can still be a factor in the majority of games. Tickets are sold in advance and those that want to be there will figure out a way.

SDK, most hotels already require two night stays on football weekends in Iowa City.

The late November blizzard that hit Iowa City in 91 may have kept a lot of people away but is still the most memorable game I've attended.

I don't know anybody who is pro Bowls....They're glorified exhibitions, the whole attraction for 90 percent of the teams in them is extra practice time. Jon you say it yourself you put no stock in bowl wins, cause most of the time one team wants to be there more then the other. It if you put no stock in if you win or lose what's the point. Doesn't Iowa break even in them or lose money sometimes. Even if it's a white out their still going to make money.
Look at Missouri they're the 12 seed would of matched up with 5 seed Wisconsin. Wouldn't you rather play in a white out game at Wisconsin for the NC rather then an Insight bowl Championship in good conditions. To me that's a no brainer. I can't afford to go to a bowl game right now, but if thier was a first round game in IC today or even yesterday, I'd known of the forecast before hand I would gotten their before the weather and had a plan for what to do after the game. Even if I had to sleep in my car it would be worth it. Only 20,000 or so go to a bowl game if that, their would be alot more fans get to watch them if we had a home playoff game.

Not that it matters as Iowa has never been able to get in the BCS national championship...but I strongly feel if we go to a playoff Iowa will never win a national title. ever. Teams like Iowa CANNOT beat the big boys multiple weeks in a row...the national title will ALWAYS be won by OSU, Bama, Florida, Texas etc...so it really won't be any different. so idk what the point is...if you think Boise could beat two or three (or four in the case of a 16 team) teams in a row...you're crazy.

I think it's funny, I watch shows like Out of Bounds and PTI, they all say, "The BCS works, we got the two best teams playing for the NC. I'm not sure we needed the BCS to figure this out. We also got 3 really bad BCS bowl games, Oklahoma vs. Connecticut, Ohio State vs. Arkansas, and Stanford vs. Va Tech. The last 2 are unappealing matchups IMO, but the teams are obviously good. If we don't get rid of the BCS in the form of a playoff, doesn't it make sense to have 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8, 9v10 regardless of conference affiliations.

Not that it matters as Iowa has never been able to get in the BCS national championship...but I strongly feel if we go to a playoff Iowa will never win a national title. ever. Teams like Iowa CANNOT beat the big boys multiple weeks in a row...the national title will ALWAYS be won by OSU, Bama, Florida, Texas etc...so it really won't be any different. so idk what the point is...if you think Boise could beat two or three (or four in the case of a 16 team) teams in a row...you're crazy.

To me, that's the great thing about it, you just never know, but I think if you finish in the top 16 or what ever, you deserve that opportunity.

Jon you say it yourself you put no stock in bowl wins, cause most of the time one team wants to be there more then the other. .

I have never said that I put no stock in bowl wins. Ever. There is a lot to be gained for program momentum for bowl wins...bowl participation is important from a practice time development.

I have said that specific bowl games like the Alamo Bowl usually featured one team that didnt want to be there, given how they are set up and seeded within conferences.

Latest posts