Willies Gone?

Football at its core is a team game. A coach has to treat all his players in a manner thats fair to everyone. At Iowa, players are expected to succeed in the classroom, work hard in practice, put in time in the weight room, put in time in the film room, represent the University of Iowa off the field respectfully, be a good teammate, and act within the laws of the state of Iowa. In exchange, players get a free education, meals, room & board, top notch medical treatment, travel etc. Derrick is an adult, he made the decision to attend the school & he committed to Coach Ferentz & Iowa's brand of football. He's been in the program for a year & a half and was beginning to show his talents. Why give up on what you worked hard for - next year he would have been a starting receiver. Leaving in the middle of the football season means he quit on this team & his teammates. I'd like to believe this young man has more character than that. There's likely a personal reason for his actions. Grades or family issues are likely issues. Blaming KF personally for every transfer or drop out is blatantly ignorant. Before reading this message board, I'd never met a Hawkeye supporter anywhere who wished all the Hawk players would transfer or quit or that Iowa would get killed in all their remaining games.

Please stop with the reasoned, calm, direct approach to this issue. You simply will not make it on this message board. (And, thank you.)

Do I really need to read players mind to figure out what's going on? Like you said, the information is out there. We have a talented player leaving mid-season, that doesn't throw up a red flag to you? I'm not going to dispute what KF said that the kid wants to be closer to his sick Dad. My point is, what is a head coach going to say in that situation, that he is unhappy with the program and the lack of offense? I just see this as a major issue, and you act like this is the first time a player has left, it happens too often at Iowa. Carry on.
If he isn't leaving because of personel reasons then I have a problem with him. You don't run out in he middle of the year unless its something like a family issue and I don't think Iowa has a transfer problem any bigger than most programs today. Kids listen to everyone telling them how great they are and transfer all the time. Its epedimic in collage sports. By KF statement I would say the door is still open for him to come back should he decide to.

What we know at this point:

DW has a sick father in Arizona....and he is leaving Iowa to be closer to him.
The door was not closed by KF on DW returning.
Leaving at this point in the semester makes zero sense in any fashion, as his credits will not transfer and he will have to sit next year if he plays elsewhere.
DW has been injured this season.
Iowa is losing Powell and KMM next season.

At this point, that is all we know...and it could play out any number of ways:

1. DW returns to Iowa next semester after sorting it out,and having time with his Dad in Zona.
2. DW transfers to another school and plays eventually.
3. DW decides football is not for him.

Maybe we should just let it play out before speculating?

-Per HawkeyeHeaven who texted with his Mom:
"He is not getting the opportunity to grow like he was led to believe"

-Myself and several others here were told following the ISU game (by sources within the team) that he was unlikely to stick around for a coach that wouldn't throw the ball down field. He was definitely disillusioned by our pathetic offense (as are some other players)

So, while his Father may very well be ill, put the above two items together with the fact that Rock Island is only an hour away...(hardly a prohibitive distance) and you have a convenient warm and fuzzy press release. Take another drink of the kool-aid

Precisely what I was thinking before seeing your post.

And this is precisely what's wrong around this forum... what we have
is a bunch of barely legal adults whose moral compass says it's perfectly
OK... even laudible... to walk out on your team mid-season.

There's really no answer for that... it's indicative of what society has become.

I'm 45 Scooter and have kids the age of these college players. Listen transfers happens everywhere all the time before, during and after the seasons. We are dealing with kids.. If Willie wants to move on he has every right to do so and how or when he chooses so. I'm not going to ridicule Willie for walking out on the team, It's his decision. As for the it's indicative of what society has become comment. That is complete BS it has nothing to do a change in society because this stuff been happening FOREVER, players leave.

FYI After reading your post I now know who the barely legal adult is. :)

His dad lives in Arizona. Guardian in quad cities.

So, he's been away from his Dad (who lives in AZ) for years while attending high school in Burlington & Rock Island? Now, he needs to be closer to him? I didn't jump into the speculative fray when announced because we'll see how this plays out. However, the mid-season jump ... the reason ... something just doesn't smell right about it.

As others alluded to -- pops might be ailing but something else inside the walls seem as likely a tipping point.

Either way, Easton, I'm putting you in charge of digging up all this "readily available" info. If he's transferring anywhere but AZ or AZSt, something is fishy. Speaking of -- Rich Rod would know what to do with him.

So, he's been away from his Dad (who lives in AZ) for years while attending high school in Burlington & Rock Island? Now, he needs to be closer to him? I didn't jump into the speculative fray when announced because we'll see how this plays out. However, the mid-season jump ... the reason ... something just doesn't smell right about it.

As others alluded to -- pops might be ailing but something else inside the walls seem as likely a tipping point.

Either way, Easton, I'm putting you in charge of digging up all this "readily available" info. If he's transferring anywhere but AZ or AZSt, something is fishy. Speaking of -- Rich Rod would know what to do with him.
I am sure you can find a community college course on reading twitter. Some of us can pick it up on their own, others need a hand to hold.

If you get it down, try following the actual reporters as opposed to whatever kardashian you are now.

Thanks for posting. Others on here still want to believe everything is fine.

I don't belive everything is fine. I told my wife during the Maryland game that something was wrong with the team. They didn't come ready to play. I think I said something to that end on here on Sunday

I don't belive everything is fine. I told my wife during the Maryland game that something was wrong with the team. They didn't come ready to play. I think I said something to that end on here on Sunday

I wasn't specifically talking about you, but I agree with what you said. Something is "off".

Rob Howe@HawkeyeInsider 5m5 minutes ago
CJ Beathard said that in addition to his father's illness, frustration w/ a lack of playing time figured into Derrick Willies leaving #Iowa.

marcmorehouse@marcmorehouse 5m5 minutes ago
Best Willies take came from CJB. He tried to talk him into staying. Didn't agree with midseason move. Still friends, close.
A player is leaving because he feels he's not getting enough playing time? Totally KF's fault. Good coaches never have players leave for this reason.

A player is leaving because he feels he's not getting enough playing time? Totally KF's fault. Good coaches never have players leave for this reason.

Losing to Iowa State the majority of years is also not his fault

Not sure I read that in his post. Could you point it out?

Placing all the blame on KirFer for everything is also KirFer's fault too, I assume.

You're kinda cherry-picking which wild generalization is a problem. A third party might be able to extrapolate why that is. Repeat after me: "Playmakers frustrated with our HC have no reason to be."

Latest posts