Williams Arena

Fryowa

Administrator
Gonna go up with a friend of mine to watch the Hawks play Minnesota. Need some reconnaissance on seating if anyone's been there. Ticket prices are stupid high right now and I was wondering if the cheaper seats under the balcony/deck are worth a shit.

Gonna go up with a friend of mine to watch the Hawks play Minnesota. Need some reconnaissance on seating if anyone's been there. Ticket prices are stupid high right now and I was wondering if the cheaper seats under the balcony/deck are worth a shit.
As long as they play better than when you saw them in Lincoln things should be all right:)

Funny, you go up there but you can't find your way to Des Moines at 42 years. LOL.

Last edited:
I saw a game there about 40 years ago, the most memorable part was a cheerleader got dropped and had to be taken off on a stretcher. I believe Purdue secured the Big 10 title that game. There are seats obstructed by girders in the nosebleed sections, hopefully they indicate that before buying a ticket.

I saw a game there about 40 years ago, the most memorable part was a cheerleader got dropped and had to be taken off on a stretcher. I believe Purdue secured the Big 10 title that game. There are seats obstructed by girders in the nosebleed sections, hopefully they indicate that before buying a ticket.
1674148013235.png

Funny, you go up there but you can't find your way to Des Moines at 42 years. LOL.
There's reasons to go to Minneapolis if the Hawks are playing, and it's and hour closer for me. ;) I actually gave the subject a bunch of thought last night since it was so stunning to some people...There's just no reason (for me) to go there from here.

Minor League baseball? Not driving 4 hours for it.

State Fair? Meh. Clay County Fair is a half hour away, almost as big, no traffic issues, same exhibits, equal or better grandstand entertainment, and zero politics.

Adventureland? Valley Fair is over an hour closer.

Shopping? Nope. Same stuff available an hour away.

Blank Park Zoo? Henry Doorly is world renowned and 2 and a half hours from my door.

Use the airport? No again. I'm closer to MSP, OMA, and FSD, all of which have better flights than DM.

In fact, the more I ponder it the more I realize that Des Moines is a total snoozer of a "large" city. There's literally nothing there that a person from my geographical area would feel compelled to do when Omaha and Minneapolis are way more full of things to do. Other than maybe some high school state tourneys, but I'm not shelling out cash to go down there during that madness of parents and teens. My kid qualified for state XC this year and unless something weird happens he has 2 more years, but that's in Fort Dodge.

This post is meant light-heartedly, btw. I have nothing against Des Moines. But there's nothing calling my name to visit any time soon.

There's reasons to go to Minneapolis if the Hawks are playing, and it's and hour closer for me. ;) I actually gave the subject a bunch of thought last night since it was so stunning to some people...There's just no reason (for me) to go there from here.

State Fair? Meh. Clay County Fair is a half hour away, almost as big, no traffic issues, same exhibits, equal or better grandstand entertainment, and zero politics.

Blank Park Zoo? Henry Doorly is world renowned and 2 and a half hours from my door.

Use the airport? No again. I'm closer to MSP, OMA, and FSD, all of which have better flights than DM.

In fact, the more I ponder it the more I realize that Des Moines is a total snoozer of a "large" city. There's literally nothing there that a person from my geographical area would feel compelled to do when Omaha and Minneapolis are way more full of things to do. Other than maybe some high school state tourneys maybe, but I'm not shelling out cash to go down there during that madness of parents and teens. My kid qualified for state XC this year and unless something weird happens he has 2 more years, but that's in Fort Dodge.

This post is meant light-heartedly, btw. I have nothing against Des Moines. But there's nothing calling my name to visit any time soon.
Maybe if it's an NCAA regional site and the Hawks are in that bracket.

In fact, the more I ponder it the more I realize that Des Moines is a total snoozer of a "large" city. There's literally nothing there that a person from my geographical area would feel compelled to do when Omaha and Minneapolis are way more full of things to do. Other than maybe some high school state tourneys, but I'm not shelling out cash to go down there during that madness of parents and teens. My kid qualified for state XC this year and unless something weird happens he has 2 more years, but that's in Fort Dodge.

Now, even though I've never been to the state fair, I've heard plenty of stories about it and been by the fairgrounds. It is one of the best state fairs in the country. Now, I realize there are really good county fairs out there, but I got to call you on this one stating the Clay Co fair is just as good or has better grandstand entertainment.

but I got to call you on this one stating the Clay Co fair is just as good or has better grandstand entertainment.
Sorry man. If you're gonna make an argument for Eric Church or Luke Bryan or some other bro-country douche rocket, we aren't gonna agree. It might be a county fair, but I've seen Willie Nelson, Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, Skynyrd, Lita Ford, Dwight Yoakam, Mellencamp, and tons of other's I'm not thinking of. The only one you got me on is KISS, but you ain't gonna convince me that Nickelback and Casting Crowns is better.

I'm not saying it's better necessarily, but if absolutely nothing else it's comparable. In fact, pretty much every year they have some of the same main stage acts.

I think you're underestimating how big the Clay County fair is. While I'm not a fan of either, the CCF had Garth Brooks and Kenny Chesney back when both of them were at the top of their popularity selling out tours.

I know Des Moines has changed a ton in recent years, but we felt the same way growing up in Iowa City in the '80s to mid '90s. Nobody really went to Des Moines for much. Cedar Rapids had a little more shopping than IC back then and minor league baseball, but otherwise the next step seemed to be a trip to Chicago or Minneapolis.

Sorry man. If you're gonna make an argument for Eric Church or Luke Bryan or some other bro-country douche rocket, we aren't gonna agree. It might be a county fair, but I've seen Willie Nelson, Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, Skynyrd, Lita Ford, Dwight Yoakam, Mellencamp, and tons of other's I'm not thinking of. The only one you got me on is KISS, but you ain't gonna convince me that Nickelback and Casting Crowns is better.

I'm not saying it's better necessarily, but if absolutely nothing else it's comparable. In fact, pretty much every year they have some of the same main stage acts.

I think you're underestimating how big the Clay County fair is. While I'm not a fan of either, the CCF had Garth Brooks and Kenny Chesney back when both of them were at the top of their popularity selling out tours.

Fair enough. I was thinking about the number of entertainment options all week, along with variety.

Now, I know there are some really great county fairs out there, don't get me wrong. The Great Jones County Fair is another great fair in Iowa. Jones county is east and a bit north of Iowa City. They bring in some nice entertainment and have some nice events.

Personally, I would prob be more attracted to a nice county fair than the jumbo IA State Fair, but I manage people who go there yearly and talked with others that state there is no other. They live for it.

But, there is a reason I have never gone to it and I suspect aligns a lot with the reasons you give.

Been there a few times. Those seats under the overhang are tricky...too far under or behind beam and your view is obstructed.

The best part is post-game when people bust out the fire doors on the sides and take stairs down to street level.

A true smelly American icon!

Fair enough. I was thinking about the number of entertainment options all week, along with variety.

Now, I know there are some really great county fairs out there, don't get me wrong. The Great Jones County Fair is another great fair in Iowa. Jones county is east and a bit north of Iowa City. They bring in some nice entertainment and have some nice events.

Personally, I would prob be more attracted to a nice county fair than the jumbo IA State Fair, but I manage people who go there yearly and talked with others that state there is no other. They live for it.

But, there is a reason I have never gone to it and I suspect aligns a lot with the reasons you give.
Jones County Fair has location, location, location. It's 35 minutes from Cedar Rapids or Dubuque, less than an hour from Iowa City, Waterloo, or the Quads.

Been there a few times. Those seats under the overhang are tricky...too far under or behind beam and your view is obstructed.

The best part is post-game when people bust out the fire doors on the sides and take stairs down to street level.

A true smelly American icon!
Reminds me of the Wisconsin Fieldhouse, which is still used for volleyball and was used for basketball before the Kohl Center was built.