Will we ever blitz?

dekhawks

Just wondering if we will ever dial up a blitz. I was hoping for one on that 4th down play but it never happened. Can anybody recall us blitzing on one play today? I know that is not how we play defense, but if we blitz once in awhile, maybe the opponets offensive line would not be able to double team or triple team our d-line. Basically the opponets offensive line doesn't even need to worry about anything but blocking our front four, therefore a pretty simple game plan for them.

If blitzing were such a horrible thing, why do you suppose other teams do it? Timely blitzes, like one poster said, on that 4th down during the final drive and it's game over... Instead, the pass is complete and the winning TD drive continues. Iowa was within a half-step of several sacks today. Had they blitzed, the sacks would have happened. And for those who criticize Iowa's pass defense, under the rules of today's game if you let any college QB sit back, unblitzed, he's going to burn you. That's why everyone in the universe, except the Iowa Hawkeyes, have the blitz in their defensive game plan.

Just wondering if we will ever dial up a blitz. I was hoping for one on that 4th down play but it never happened. Can anybody recall us blitzing on one play today? I know that is not how we play defense, but if we blitz once in awhile, maybe the opponets offensive line would not be able to double team or triple team our d-line. Basically the opponets offensive line doesn't even need to worry about anything but blocking our front four, therefore a pretty simple game plan for them.

You can't blitz when your LB's are assigned to receivers. Iowa has NEVER blitzed. Once a game, maybe. It's the way it has always been. Like it or leave it.

We can't blitz all of the time or even that often because we don't have the quality cover guys to make up for it if the blitzers don't get there. They are fine in zone coverage and doing their assignments, but not good enough to go man on man too much. In the end we would probably get burned more than be successful, and then everybody would be complaining about being toasted in the secondary on blitz plays. We do what we do and more often than not it is successful.

Latest posts