Will there ever be a player that dominated his sport like Wilt did?

EddyP

He was before my time but the things he did were ridiculous. I watched a special on the NBA channel that was a tribute to his 100 point game. That '61-'62 season he did that in he AVERAGED 50 points and 27 rebounds a game. Jordan had 40 something 50 point games in his career and Wilt had more in one season. That same year he missed a total of 8 minutes the entire 80 game season and that was because he got thrown out of a game. They never took him out. He holds something like 90 records that stand to this day and a lot will never be broken(insert sex record joke). Dude was a freak of nature.

Tiger Woods has done it and will continue to do it. And of course Michael Jordan. Some would say Larry Legend.

Tiger Woods has done it and will continue to do it. And of course Michael Jordan. Some would say Larry Legend.

Tiger is the only one there that even begins to approach Wilt's dominance. The only active athlete who I would throw up right now would be Pujols, and he doesn't pass the test either.

Tiger is the only one there that even begins to approach Wilt's dominance. The only active athlete who I would throw up right now would be Pujols, and he doesn't pass the test either.

Serious??? From a numbers/record standpoint its not even close.

Wilt was doing chics on the side and over came it. Not his fault Tiger couldn't :)

Fan reaction: Why Wilt Chamberlain is not considered the greatest of all time (and Jordan is) - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

From article:

Wilt Chamberlain is one of the most prolific and dominant players ever to play in the NBA. This is a fact seen in his numbers. Chamberlain holds the all-time records for most rebounds in a career and most rebounds per game in a career and he is nearly tied with Michael Jordan for the all-time highest point-per-game scoring average.

Chamberlain holds the record for most points in a single game (100 points) as well as most rebounds in a single game (55). He had a season where he averaged 50-plus points per game and another where he averaged over 48 minutes-played per game, and it is said he never fouled out of a game…ever.

Wilt "the Stilt" Chamberlain is the only player ever to score 4,000 points in a singe season.*

Chamberlain was a four-time NBA MVP as well as an NBA Finals MVP ('72).

This brief resume leaves many of Chamberlain's records and achievements out, but clearly points to the extremely high level of his abilities. Considering these accomplishments, why don't we talk about Wilt Chamberlain as a clear choice for the best NBA player of all-time?

I think his rebound record was 55, but my favorite record from Wilt was that he never fouled out in over a thousand games.

Fan reaction: Why Wilt Chamberlain is not considered the greatest of all time (and Jordan is) - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

From article:

Wilt Chamberlain is one of the most prolific and dominant players ever to play in the NBA. This is a fact seen in his numbers. Chamberlain holds the all-time records for most rebounds in a career and most rebounds per game in a career and he is nearly tied with Michael Jordan for the all-time highest point-per-game scoring average.

Chamberlain holds the record for most points in a single game (100 points) as well as most rebounds in a single game (55). He had a season where he averaged 50-plus points per game and another where he averaged over 48 minutes-played per game, and it is said he never fouled out of a game…ever.

Wilt "the Stilt" Chamberlain is the only player ever to score 4,000 points in a singe season.*

This brief resume leaves many of Chamberlain's records and achievements out, but clearly points to the extremely high level of his abilities. Considering these accomplishments, why don't we talk about Wilt Chamberlain as a clear choice for the best NBA player of all-time?

That article actually argues against Wilt being the greatest player ever, and I agree with it. In his time, it was easy for a guy with his skill set to dominate.

1. 7-footers were EXTREMELY rare.
2. The lane was narrower, allowing him to play much closer to the basket than he would be today.

Now, is Wilt the most dominant player of all time? Yes. But he's not the best of all time.

Fan reaction: Why Wilt Chamberlain is not considered the greatest of all time (and Jordan is) - NBA - Yahoo! SportsFrom article:Wilt Chamberlain is one of the most prolific and dominant players ever to play in the NBA. This is a fact seen in his numbers. Chamberlain holds the all-time records for most rebounds in a career and most rebounds per game in a career and he is nearly tied with Michael Jordan for the all-time highest point-per-game scoring average.Chamberlain holds the record for most points in a single game (100 points) as well as most rebounds in a single game (55). He had a season where he averaged 50-plus points per game and another where he averaged over 48 minutes-played per game, and it is said he never fouled out of a game�ever.Wilt "the Stilt" Chamberlain is the only player ever to score 4,000 points in a singe season.*Chamberlain was a four-time NBA MVP as well as an NBA Finals MVP ('72).This brief resume leaves many of Chamberlain's records and achievements out, but clearly points to the extremely high level of his abilities. Considering these accomplishments, why don't we talk about Wilt Chamberlain as a clear choice for the best NBA player of all-time?
That article actually argues against Wilt being the greatest player ever, and I agree with it. In his time, it was easy for a guy with his skill set to dominate. 1. 7-footers were EXTREMELY rare.2. The lane was narrower, allowing him to play much closer to the basket than he would be today.Now, is Wilt the most dominant player of all time? Yes. But he's not the best of all time.

I would agree with this.

From article:

It's all about the rings. Russell won like 6 or 7 while Wilt was in his prime. Jordan had 5. But I believe Wilt did have 3 with 3 different teams. By the way he did also lead the league in assists one year.

It's all about the rings. Russell won like 6 or 7 while Wilt was in his prime. Jordan had 5. But I believe Wilt did have 3 with 3 different teams. By the way he did also lead the league in assists one year.

Jordan won 6 rings. Wilt's dominance was impressive, but it was similar to if you took a high school senior and put him up against middle school basketball teams. There was no one outside of Russell who was close to his size, and the competition was far inferior to the competition of the 80's, 90's, and today.

The '72 Laker team is as fine an NBA team as I've ever seen. It held the record for most wins in a season until the Bulls broke it with Jordan & Pippen.

Wilt didn't score much but he played defense & rebounded. Of course, with Goodrich & West in the backcourt, he didn't have to score. The interesting thing is that the Lakers played almost the whole season without one of their best players. NBA legend Elgin Baylor was lost early in the season.

i have heard it said that in a conversation between wilt and mj wilt told mj that he was better than jordan because in wilt's time they made rules to make it harder for him and in mj's time they made rules to make it easier for him. for a little while during wilt's career it was actually illegal to dunk. a common misconception is that russell dominated wilt. the truth is the celtics dominated the lakers since wilt actually averaged over 30 pts and like 20 rebs against russell.

i have heard it said that in a conversation between wilt and mj wilt told mj that he was better than jordan because in wilt's time they made rules to make it harder for him and in mj's time they made rules to make it easier for him. for a little while during wilt's career it was actually illegal to dunk. a common misconception is that russell dominated wilt. the truth is the celtics dominated the lakers since wilt actually averaged over 30 pts and like 20 rebs against russell.

So how did Wilt only win 2 titles?