Will the Iowa universities shut down?

Numbers spiked about four to six days ago, in large part to students returning to state university campuses, but have already declined as quickly as they spiked.

In a 24 hour period ending at 11 am today 683 cases were confirmed in Iowa, which is in line with many of the heavier days (before last week's spike) from the last two months.

Eight deaths were reported.

All my family and many friends live in Iowa and I wish everyone the very best.

I live in Iowa City and my wife is taking classes at the University. From what she has been hearing it sounds like most people believe that they will be going to online classes shortly. Certainly not coming from the decision makers so take it for what it's worth. But given the upward trend in numbers I would be surprised if they didn't take some action to slow the spread.

The University keeps looking worse every day
I'm no public health expert, but I think if they just shut bars down It'd get better pretty quickly. The states that had big surges got better pretty quick when they closed bars, and those were even low mask usage states.

I don't want business shut down any more than the next guy, but it's just going to have to happen with bars and crowds until the vaccine gets here.

I know people say that students would just go somewhere else and party which is true, but a typical packed college bar has maybe 30-40 parties worth of people in it from all over town.

Any bets on what the Governor is going to say at 11?

She’s right with Washington and now they’re hinting we should go back to lockdown. This will be interesting I think.

I'm no public health expert, but I think if they just shut bars down It'd get better pretty quickly. The states that had big surges got better pretty quick when they closed bars, and those were even low mask usage states.

I don't want business shut down any more than the next guy, but it's just going to have to happen with bars and crowds until the vaccine gets here.

I know people say that students would just go somewhere else and party which is true, but a typical packed college bar has maybe 30-40 parties worth of people in it from all over town.

Bars were shut down again last week. The U needs to switch to online learning soon if they want to save any face.

She’s right with Washington and now they’re hinting we should go back to lockdown. This will be interesting I think.

Washington encouraged Iowa to go with a mask mandate but I don't see her backing down now. She's too dug in on her stance regardless of the facts.

Washington encouraged Iowa to go with a mask mandate but I don't see her backing down now. She's too dug in on her stance regardless of the facts.

So she makes a point of Story and Johnson Counties being home to college towns and hotspots and attributed the return to campus as a contributing factor in the upward trend in numbers, but see's no problem whatsoever with 25,000 attending the ISU game, or making a statewide mask mandate despite encouragement from Washington, because of "her numbers". Wonder what "her numbers" tell her with regards to how she's handling the situation as well as the her chances of being reelected.

Last edited:
So she makes a point of Story and Johnson Counties being home to college towns and hotspots and attributed the return to campus as a contributing factor in the upward trend in numbers, but see's no problem whatsoever with 25,000 attending the ISU game, or making a statewide mask mandate despite encouragement from Washington, because of "her numbers". Wonder what "her numbers" tell her with regards to how she's handling the situation as well as the her chances of being reelected.

And brings the guy from Northwestern in Orange City to come in and talk about how things are just fine on their campus. Yeah, with your enrollment of 1,000 I am not surprised.

And brings the guy from Northwestern in Orange City to come in and talk about how things are just fine on their campus. Yeah, with your enrollment of 1,000 I am not surprised.
I thought that was hilarious too. I live about 20 minutes from Orange City and Sioux County is the reddest County in the state and one of the reddest in the nation. NW Iowa as a whole is redder than anywhere you’ll find in the US. It’s absolutely no surprise that she picked Northwestern. The populace up here worship the ground Reynolds and Trump walk on.

Just for clarity, I’m not making this a statement of support for Democrats. Both parties are total shit and I hate both equally.

Numbers spiked about four to six days ago, in large part to students returning to state university campuses, but have already declined as quickly as they spiked.

In a 24 hour period ending at 11 am today 683 cases were confirmed in Iowa, which is in line with many of the heavier days (before last week's spike) from the last two months.

Eight deaths were reported.
I have heard that a significant part of the spike is due to a very high number of positive tests on people who had covid, didn't know they had it and have since recovered. They are positive tests, but really should have been counted much earlier.

Lol. Completely bonkers.

Probably hundreds of times this year I've found myself wondering what my deceased parents would think if they somehow came back and got dropped in 2020 with no warning.

In a lot of fundamental ways this country has changed more in 6 months than it has in the last 50. This saying is now cliche, but what a time to be alive.

Brilliant because young adults are the only ones that over populate bars and fail to drink responsibly. So what age is "responsible" when alcohols involved. Can't remember the last time I heard anyone talking about all the responsible choices they made while under the influence.

Gov Dimmy thinks it is all rainbows and sugar, everything is fine in her world even the Dept of Health apps that are always reporting data incorrectly, for I am sure sketchy reasons other than it was a system error.

Latest posts