Will the B1G want to part ways with PSU

JD - Pennsylvania is the second biggest state in the BTN footprint. You take away those eyeballs that are "in network" or whatever for BTN billing purposes and I think you seriously hurt the rest of the conference unless you've gotta helluva backup plan. Our economic fortunes are hitched to the big population state schools whether we like it or not.

I don't know which way this thing will go, but so long as the fans are around, we've gotta keep them in the conference, but I will admit that if this happened at Iowa it would be a long time before I paid to go to another game again and I can get my fill of lower tier B10 athletics within 5 minutes of my home, but for those folks living in Solon or Crapids or whatever, I don't know how they would react.

Read this statement by Tom Izzo:

“I think one of you, or somebody, said to me last week, and I agreed, that certain things affect a program, scandals of any kind, in basketball or football. Some other things are big enough to affect the athletic department. Then there are some things – to be honest with you, I haven’t seen anything before – that affect, maybe, the status of the university. I think this is one that has affected the status of the university.â€￾

This is the same guy who harshly criticized the University of Iowa Athletic Administration for terminating the contract of a "great" coach (in his opinion) a couple years back. He thought Iowa was stupid for getting rid of Lickliter.

I think a hell of a lot depends on how Ped State behaves in the next few months. They need to make amends and get proactive yesterday. Unfortunately for Ped State, the various legal processes are going to drag on for quite some time, so Ped State is gonna be constrained by legal ($$$) concerns from coming clean and moving forward.

I don't know what's gonna happen football-wise. If they clean house and hire a decent staff they might rebound after a few years.

But they prolly won't.

This is the same guy who harshly criticized the University of Iowa Athletic Administration for terminating the contract of a "great" coach (in his opinion) a couple years back. He thought Iowa was stupid for getting rid of Lickliter.

That was just professional courtesy.

I think a hell of a lot depends on how Ped State behaves in the next few months. They need to make amends and get proactive yesterday. Unfortunately for Ped State, the various legal processes are going to drag on for quite some time, so Ped State is gonna be constrained by legal ($$$) concerns from coming clean and moving forward.

I don't know what's gonna happen football-wise. If they clean house and hire a decent staff they might rebound after a few years.

But they prolly won't.

I was chatting with a respected litigator here in Chi-town last week who has estimated annual legal expenses and settlement costs in the mid to high 8 figures for at least 5 years. Guesses it will hit the endowment. That ain't gonna sit well with the donors. Said market practice in these situations is for a massive internal investigation (which he would guess will have to be done by a large NY or DC firm given the small nature of the Philly/Pitt legal markets) and then darn near every single involved party is going to have a right to indemnification by the school as well which will mean armies of lawyers running the bill at 5+ spins an hour.

I was chatting with a respected litigator here in Chi-town last week who has estimated annual legal expenses and settlement costs in the mid to high 8 figures for at least 5 years. Guesses it will hit the endowment. That ain't gonna sit well with the donors. Said market practice in these situations is for a massive internal investigation (which he would guess will have to be done by a large NY or DC firm given the small nature of the Philly/Pitt legal markets) and then darn near every single involved party is going to have a right to indemnification by the school as well which will mean armies of lawyers running the bill at 5+ spins an hour.

Indeed. This could be a billion dollar proposition before all is said and done.

Agreed this could be huge. However, I think a fair concern is whether the Board of Trustees' internal investigation already underway is truly an exercise in finding out what happened and how to fix it or more likely figuring out a way to cap the nuclear pit that is developing Chernobyl-like smack in the middle of Ped State even as we speak.

I would put more confidence in outside agencies (FBI, potentially the Dept of Justice, civil litigators, the NCAA, heck even the media) fully exposing the extent of the scandal and digging at the core of all who were involved in the reporting and the cover-up. But it will be a huge task that likely will encounter ongoing efforts to continue to cover up and hide individual involvement.

This involves more than Ped State; certainly the books, activities, donors and connections of Second Mile need to be explored as well.

Good Lord people, Penn St. isn't going anywhere, and they are NOT EVER gonna get "kicked out" of the B1G.

Jon, of all people, I would think you would know better!

Only way PSU ever gets 'kicked out' is if for some reason Notre Dame decides they want in the Big Ten and but they don't want to be in the same conference as Ped State based on moral grounds. Then I'm sure if we could basically trade Penn State for ND we'd do that in a heart beat. Otherwise, no way.... I'm sure Penn State could join the Big 12, Big East, ACC, in about oh three seconds if they had too.

I don't think this should be so easily discounted.

Like BTR - I was talking with a Chi-Town law talking buddy who said the same thing - maybe we have mutual friends in law?

Anyway - it doesn't take long to connect the dots.

This starte as a cove up trying to protect the University.

Then you have Sandusky going on recruiting trips, getting emeritus status... this because about protecting the football program, to hell with the University.

Another point that was brought up - this guy retires at age 55 widely regarded as the best assistant in CFB. We all assumed that Penn St. told him to retire for the cover up, but not one other institution gave this guy an interview... PSU had to put the word out that this guy was bad and had skeletons you didn't want.

By the time this is over... oh boy.

No. As far as I know they still had over 100,000 in the stands last week. Don't see that changing anytime soon.

No. As far as I know they still had over 100,000 in the stands last week. Don't see that changing anytime soon.

I guarantee you that changes NEXT YEAR.

They are losing recruits every day, and NO ONE is touching that job.

They won't be able to fill Penn State Erie Stadium next year.

Only way PSU ever gets 'kicked out' is if for some reason Notre Dame decides they want in the Big Ten and but they don't want to be in the same conference as Ped State based on moral grounds. Then I'm sure if we could basically trade Penn State for ND we'd do that in a heart beat. Otherwise, no way.... I'm sure Penn State could join the Big 12, Big East, ACC, in about oh three seconds if they had too.

You mean the Catholic school? That would be rich. I know this is proposed in jest, but it still made me laugh. :D

Latest posts