Will miss my first home game since 2004

masoncityhawkeye

IT is a sad day. First home game since 2004 I won't be at.

The streak is over thanks to staying home and taking the kids trick or treating.

It was a fun ride and look to start another streak vs Ohio State.

I with you on this one man. Its been a tough week for me with work and my sister has wanted to go to this game all year. So I am giving myself a break and being a nice brother.

I'm going to miss the game because my son will be running in the State Cross Country meet in Ft Dodge. This will be the first game I'm missing since Indiana last year when he was running in the State Cross Country meet. He's a senior, so this is the last one. It's a real bummer!!

I am right there with you. Have a 4 yr old, 3 yr, and 1 month old.
I also never want to experience the long car ride home like the Wisconsin game again. That was painful. Would be really painful if you left your kids high and dry for the night.

I certainly will be watching. Might be a little hard with a 3 year old and 1 year old running around though. Wife is pretty understanding and know how important the games are to me.

You come in for every home game from Mason City? That's a pretty decent trek to make. I made every home game from 1997-2001 for the 5 seasons I was @ school in Iowa City, but since then, it's typically 1 game a year (from the Chicagoland area now).

It's fun going to games, but it's also nice to kick back, get some things knocked off the "to do list", and hang with the family at home on a Saturday, but still catch the game. I have 2 daughters (almost 4 year old and and a 4 month old). We have trick or treat on Sunday ... the wife is taking them out and I'm staying in watching Packers/Jets and Vikings/Patriots while passing out candy.

For those of you who do go to the games, I HIGHLY recommend the little radio headset they sell around the stadium. I know, you're going to look like one of those old school Hawkeye fans, but Gary & Ed bring to the table during the game is great. It's like being at the game at the same time hearing the play by play and in between action. I had upper deck seats last year @ Ohio State and I bought that radio for $10. For what I paid for those darn seats, that radio was worth $50.

for people near DM ... Night Eyes @ Blank Park Zoo and Halloween Nights @ Living History Farms ... go when you want, not when your idiot city council says so ... We atr taking our kids on 10/31 ... imagine that Halloween on HALLOWEEN

Buy the kids a bag of candy and go to the game. Halloween comes every year but MSU @ Iowa only happens every other year.

We have a number of dads in our tailgate crew that are doing the same thing. Missing their first game in a long time because they live in a town that does "trick or treating" on the 30th this year.

Buy the kids a bag of candy and go to the game. Halloween comes every year but MSU @ Iowa only happens every other year.

You must not have kids.

It is easier said then done. I look at it as there are 7 Iowa home games a year and this is the only time my 1 year old goes trick or treating for the first time.

BWS- we are doing night eyes tonight also. That doesn't really fulfill the requirement though as the kids will still be going out tomorrow on beggers night, it isn't like they would stay home Saturday night. So I would miss it also. Plus Night Eyes is worthless but we are goin anyway.

I am racking up the points (as in getting to do something I really want soon!!) Plus I just went to Vegas 2 weeks ago so I can't bail on the kids for Beggers Night.

The streak is over thanks to staying home and taking the kids trick or treating.

Props to you Alex!

I will keep my streak alive at 59!

That's a nice streak! Kudos!!

Even trick or treating has been relegated to being "scheduled" What happened to, on the 31st if someones light is on you ring the doorbell, if they answer great, if not, on to the next house. I understand some city councils are trying to put an age limit on trick or treaters!! Here's how I do it. When somebody rings our doorbell I actually think for myself if I am going to give that person a piece of candy or not. One rule is "You must be in costume!"

As a Dad to two young trick or treaters AND a long time season ticket holder, I certainly can empathize. My family also will not be at the game.

However, we will be cheering our hearts out as usual!

Love my family, love the Hawkeyes!

BTW My son is going as an Iowa Hawkeye football...again!
He is trying to decide if he will be wearing #12 or #7...I'm just hoping either number has a huge game for the Hawks!

Last edited:
You must not have kids.

It is easier said then done. I look at it as there are 7 Iowa home games a year and this is the only time my 1 year old goes trick or treating for the first time.

BWS- we are doing night eyes tonight also. That doesn't really fulfill the requirement though as the kids will still be going out tomorrow on beggers night, it isn't like they would stay home Saturday night. So I would miss it also. Plus Night Eyes is worthless but we are goin anyway.

I am racking up the points (as in getting to do something I really want soon!!) Plus I just went to Vegas 2 weeks ago so I can't bail on the kids for Beggers Night.

So basically you are trick or treating while carrying your 1 year old...cool.

Latest posts