Will Iowa score 50 tomorrow?

Go back and look at your research Eddy....with the exception of 2005, each year that we scored 50 at least once on someone (01, 02, 03, and 08) I'd say we had a pretty good offense that was capable of scoring consistently on just about anyone.

In order for me to believe we're going to have a real special year, I have to believe our offense will at least be similar to the 03 offense....if it isn't, I'm worried. I don't trust luck to bounce our way this year like it did last year....we need an offense this season that can create separation....if we don't have that...I'm tempering my expectations.

The offense in 2005 ranked #22 in total offense at 432.42 ypg, and #36 at 30 ppg. So I would say we had a pretty good offense that year, too. The defense took some time to really gel.

Now, take a look at this: in those years (01, 02, 03, 05, and 08), we had very strong running games, with Ladell Betts, Russell/Lewis, AY/Sims, and Greene leading the charge. When you have backs like that, and you play conservatively (meaning running the ball when you get up big), you're going to keep scoring.

Tomorrow, we are going to be pretty thin at RB. No Hampton, no Wegher, DeAndre Johnson is planning to redshirt, Coker is hurt. Robinson won't be kept in the game late if/when we get up big, because we can't afford to lose him at this point. We won't keep scoring late by running the ball with Paki, but he's exactly who will be toting the rock in the 4th quarter.

That's not to say that we WON'T score 50, though I doubt we do. But if we don't, I don't think it says that we aren't as good as we were hoping, because there are a lot of obstacles that could hold us back in Week 1 (suspension/injuries) that won't exist come Week 2.

I'm hoping for the 50+ rout (sorry EIU) so the 2nd and 3rd stringers get vital experience. Hope Jason White gets a few carries at RB. They've had this kid on both sides of the line and he's very much being a team player. Go Jason!

I say, "No." But it depends on how many long rushes or YACs.

Of course, if the Hawks are thinking national championship contenders already, then lighting up a half-century on the scoreboard will be what national championship contenders should do against a team like EIU. At least that's what talking heads will say. If it's 28-10 then expect the dismissive remarks from the national talking heads to commence.

I think Iowa needs to come out and do all the things tomorrow that they would do against ISU and if that means putting up 50 or 60 so be it.

I don't think we should ever underestimate any opponent. To think we will run up 50 on any team is a little arrogant. I wonder if this question was brought up last year before the UNI game, or even the Arkansas State game.

Of course I enjoy seeing an in-your-face style of game, but to call it out as a 50-pointer is a little premature. I’d be happy to see a solid 28-7 game with no injuries. EIU is not a bad school, if you look at their alumni. Tony Romo, Sean Payton (HC for the Saints), Brad Childress (HC for the Vikings), and Mike Shanahan (How many Super Bowls has he been an HC for?).

I’m not saying that because of their history we should be scared of them. But realistically speaking, I think we should look at every game as we are playing in the Horsehoe late in November going for a B10 Championship. We proved last year that it doesn’t take even 1 blow-out game to be successful.

Long statement for a yay or nay answer…

Nay, but would love to be proved wrong.

It seems like Iowa tries really hard to establish the run in these opening game. They seem to try it even if it isn't working too well. I'm ok with them doing this but it isn't going give you too many points. I just don't see Iowa coming close to 50.

We rarely hang 50+ points on teams and Kirk is never one to demolish a small school like this unless they just let us score, we get out ahead by 30 and Kirk calls off the dogs.

Yes. The starters will go up 30 to nothing in the first half. They will not punt. They will score three touchdowns and kick 2 field goals. They will have long time consuming drives, converting on several third downs.

They will then bring in the second string in the second half and JV and company will take off right where the starters left off. However, Paki will not be able to move the ball quite as well as ARob did on the ground, so it will put the team in more 3rd and long situations. JV will convert enough of these to score another 2 touchdowns. He will get pulled in the 4th and Wienke will get his shot. He will take advantage and put together a late scoring drive.

We absolutely need this to happen! KOK has called it too conservatively in the preseason games lately. Enough of that. Bring down the hammer and demoralize them immediately.
Then let JV tear them up in the 2nd quarter. Have Stanzi storm down the field to begin the 3rd quarter, then JV. With Wienke riding out the 4th quarter.
JW needs to see the field. They guy needs to be thrown into a game situation. EIU won't(shouldn't) be much experience, but he needs to see the field...

Latest posts