Will Iowa Lose Pierschbacher?

I don't think he's going anywhere yet. If the Hawks lay an egg this year then I think he goes but until then he is a hawk. I think the factors are he can get to the nfl as a hawk, he has friends on the team, he is a fan, it's close to home, and a chance to play early.

Spots at Alabama and Stanford might not be open that late.

Spots at Alabama and Stanford might not be open that late.

Alabama ALWAYS has spots available or they make room. They sign 25-30 every year and 32 one year.

Remember Justins Taylor, the RB recruit from 2012 class who committed to 'Bama then Saban told him 11 months later he would instead have to wait a year to have a shot a scholarship:
Justin Taylor: Safely signed with Kentucky, speaks candidly on Alabama | AJC College Sports Recruiting

“If you look back on it, you see that it was a numbers game [with scholarships], that Alabama really wanted to sit out because of the numbers,” Pritchett said. “It kind of makes you mad, but you also feel good that he didn’t go there. Because if he had gone to Alabama, he would’ve probably just have been another number.”

There was also a DE recruit in same class that Saban allegedly pulled same grayshirt stunt with; reneging on offer and asking him to delay:

Two teammates, Marlon Moore and Paul Kyles, said that Philon had been asked by Alabama to grayshirt -- or defer his enrollment until next January. Kyles said he believed Philon got the call last week.

Last edited:
Oversigning Index: On another front, it's still Alabama and everyone else
CBS Sports February 19, 2013

Oversigning Index: On another front, it's still Alabama and everyone else - CBSSports.com

The Crimson Tide only lost a dozen scholarship players from last year's unusually young BCS championship team, including three early departuresfor the NFL leaving them with at least 70 scholarship players scheduled to return in 2013 and a maximum of 14 available openings. Still, on signing day, Bama added almost twice that number - 26.

One of the 26 signees in the new class, three-star offensive lineman Bradley Bozeman, has already agreed to "grayshirt,"or delay his enrollment until 2014 so as not to count against this year's scholarship cap; a few of his more touted classmates will probably be forced to follow suit. One or two others may fall short academically. Some veteran backups will read the writing on the wall and decide to transfer some place with a more accommodating depth chart.

If all else fails, it comes down to making cuts, preferably in a fashion that doesn't involve actually having to say, "you're cut," which Saban adamantly denies he has ever done. The first to go are usually fifth-year seniors who are unlikely to contribute....

Injured players may be asked to accept a medical hardship, which allows them to remain on scholarship without counting against the cap but effectively ends their career, even if the injury is not necessarily career-ending. (Saban has been criticized in the past for using the hardship more than any other coach, and by players who said they felt pressured to accept a hardship. At least one player who was released for medical reasons has gone on to play at another school.
------------
But whatever it takes, there is no way around the fact that somewhere in the vicinity of a dozen players currently slated to wear the Crimson Tide uniform this fall will be culled from the roster over the next six months.
No other team is facing that level of inevitable, automatic attrition. The closest to Alabama, numbers-wise, is Washington who lost 12 but signed 22.

Hopefully he's been in/will be in contact with Matt Roth, the only player I am aware of who has played for BOTH Ferentz and Saban. Can't remember now where I read it, but Roth several years ago was quoted comparing the two...something to the effect of Saban not being half the man Ferentz is. Sound familiar to anyone? I don't know where I'd begin to look for that quote.

Hopefully he's been in/will be in contact with Matt Roth, the only player I am aware of who has played for BOTH Ferentz and Saban. Can't remember now where I read it, but Roth several years ago was quoted comparing the two...something to the effect of Saban not being half the man Ferentz is. Sound familiar to anyone? I don't know where I'd begin to look for that quote.

Matt Roth on Nick Saban (lol) [Archive] - FVSports Forums

WHAT THE....??? YOU SAID YOU WERE LEAVING AND NEVER COMING BACK? WE HAD THIS EPIC GOING AWAY THREAD AND EVERYTHING?
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/off-topic/52025-farewell-hawkeyenation.html#post953008 I guess you got out sooner than you expected?

I know! I know! Football season got me excited...I ended the "retirement"...it was more a hiatus I guess! I don't think I'll ever be posting as much as I once was....real life and everything...I hate it when that happens.

I know! I know! Football season got me excited...I ended the "retirement"...it was more a hiatus I guess! I don't think I'll ever be posting as much as I once was....real life and everything...I hate it when that happens.

You're saying the parole officers are only giving you 30 minutes a day on a computer?

I think he's confusing Palo Alto and Berkeley. Stanford = tree mascot Berkeley = tree-hugging hippies.

Perhaps.

But the point is it seems like RP has a solid head on his shoulders, and doesn't likely view a career in the NFL as a given. I'm sure he understands the work needed to get there.

With all that said, lets hope he keeps the right mentality as he goes thru the recruiting process and begins his collegiate career.

You're saying the parole officers are only giving you 30 minutes a day on a computer?

I fail to see why you continue to associate my absence with jail time...It's a total fabrication on your part, and is pretty insulting actually. I now remember partially why I left this site in the first place.

More like my demands with work and school changed to take up more of my time.

Now back to the actual topic, frankly if Ross is unsure...Iowa might not be the best place for him anyways...it says a lot about a person's commitment and personal confidence.

I fail to see why you continue to associate my absence with jail time...It's a total fabrication on your part, and is pretty insulting actually. I now remember partially why I left this site in the first place.

More like my demands with work and school changed to take up more of my time.

Now back to the actual topic, frankly if Ross is unsure...Iowa might not be the best place for him anyways...it says a lot about a person's commitment and personal confidence.

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't.
I thought you left because your stone cold prediction wasn't becoming a reality?

BTW, were you Basketballman?

those dishes don't wash themselves. ammirriiittteee?

I have "retired" like five times, but I always get back early for good behavior.

Boat, call me crazy, but this post bears a striking resemblance to things the old Vin/Scorp typed, except each word is spelled correctly. Even the post count (sorta) rivals our dearly departed friend. Are you Vintage?

Nice try Vintage, we ain't buying your slow 4 year troll. Woman on the sports interwebs? yeah right.