Will Iowa get back to the Rose Bowl?

Doesnt matter anymore. If Iowa happens to get there, it will either be a semi final game or the years the Rose isnt involved in the playoff, it will be viewed as a consolation prize. If a team is good enough to get to the Rose, theyre going to want to be in that playoff.

Under the pre-BCS rules, that Rose Bowl would have been OSU-USC.

We'll get back. When, I don't know. But by God, we will get there. Really, the one sporting event I want to see live more than any other is a Rose Bowl with Iowa in victory formation running out the clock. Just once in my lifetime. I will pay any price for tickets, even bad seats. It ain't much that I ask for, just that. I don't need a final four or football national championship or playoff appearance, just one stinking Rose Bowl.

Actually it would have been Iowa vs. Washington State in the Rose Bowl with the pre BCS rules.

Under the pre-BCS rules, that Rose Bowl would have been OSU-USC.

We'll get back. When, I don't know. But by God, we will get there. Really, the one sporting event I want to see live more than any other is a Rose Bowl with Iowa in victory formation running out the clock. Just once in my lifetime. I will pay any price for tickets, even bad seats. It ain't much that I ask for, just that. I don't need a final four or football national championship or playoff appearance, just one stinking Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl is great, I'll grant you, but you'll have to explain that logic to me. You'd rather see the Hawks go to the Rose Bowl and NOT win the national championship, than see them win the national championship? Interesting.

Times have changed. You could go 12-0 and be in the national championship game, and NOT be in the Rose Bowl. In that case, I would say the NCG would be better than the Rose Bowl.

Actually it would have been Iowa vs. Washington State in the Rose Bowl with the pre BCS rules.

Oh yeah, Wash State would have been the Pac 10 rep, but Iowa had a loss while OSU was undefeated.

1) Conference record
2) Head to head
3) Overall record
4) Longest Rose Bowl drought

Iowa only would have been in the Rose Bowl if they had managed to beat Iowa State and gotten down to the 4th tie breaker.

The Rose Bowl is great, I'll grant you, but you'll have to explain that logic to me. You'd rather see the Hawks go to the Rose Bowl and NOT win the national championship, than see them win the national championship? Interesting.

National championship is asking too much. It is far more than anyone Hawk fan with any understanding of our history and the sport can reasonably ask for. And to me, that Rose Bowl, held on January 1 is the pinnacle for the Big Ten. The rest is just made for TV drama with no tradition. It reminds me of the homogenization of America, where I could drop you off in West Neck Moines or Wichita or Oklahoma City or Peoria and you'd see pretty much all the same crap. The Rose Bowl is different. It's like the neighborhood coffee shop or family owned hardware store you want to see succeed rather than the Starbucks or the Home Depot that moves into town.

National championship is asking too much. It is far more than anyone Hawk fan with any understanding of our history and the sport can reasonably ask for. And to me, that Rose Bowl, held on January 1 is the pinnacle for the Big Ten. The rest is just made for TV drama with no tradition. It reminds me of the homogenization of America, where I could drop you off in West Neck Moines or Wichita or Oklahoma City or Peoria and you'd see pretty much all the same crap. The Rose Bowl is different. It's like the neighborhood coffee shop or family owned hardware store you want to see succeed rather than the Starbucks or the Home Depot that moves into town.

Ok, if you're talking about what's realistic (barring alignment of stars & planets) and not what you would rather have, then yeah, the Rose Bowl would be the goal for Iowa fans. Can't really disagree on that point.

Sad to see hardcore fans of a Big Ten school talking dismissively of the Rose Bowl. As far as I'm concerned (and I believe I'm the minority), if the CFP diminishes the Rose Bowl, I don't want it.

Sad to see hardcore fans of a Big Ten school talking dismissively of the Rose Bowl. As far as I'm concerned (and I believe I'm the minority), if the CFP diminishes the Rose Bowl, I don't want it.
LOL, it's already been diminished, and you have absolutely no say in the matter.

LOL, it's already been diminished, and you have absolutely no say in the matter.

Really? You mean to say a random kid from Iowa has no say in the College football Playoff! Gosh, I've never considered that before! I always thought Jim Delaney was a HN user!

Just because a playoff game will be played in the Rose Bowl arena, doesn't mean there won't be a Rose Bowl bowl game.

It will just be watered down in prestige since it'll most likely entertain the loser of the B1G champ game, versus the winner.

The winner of course is more likely to be in the playoff.

Latest posts