Will Iowa Be ILL-annoy's Orange Crush Game?

MelroseHawkins

Does anybody know if they still do them? Back in the day before they tanked the last several years, they used to pick a road game to crash and get as many students there as they could. They'd gobble up a bunch of tickets, often in the same section, and sneak in special T shirts they'd change to once inside. They pretty much want to get a raucous student section on the road to take over an arena.

If they still do this, I have a sneaking suspicion that they might pin Sunday's Iowa game as their Orange Crush game and try to take over Carver. They are having a good year as well as Iowa, so it would be no surprise to pick this game, especially the proximity of Champaign to Iowa City.

We must protect our turf!!

Does anybody know if they still do them? Back in the day before they tanked the last several years, they used to pick a road game to crash and get as many students there as they could. They'd gobble up a bunch of tickets, often in the same section, and sneak in special T shirts they'd change to once inside. They pretty much want to get a raucous student section on the road to take over an arena.

If they still do this, I have a sneaking suspicion that they might pin Sunday's Iowa game as their Orange Crush game and try to take over Carver. They are having a good year as well as Iowa, so it would be no surprise to pick this game, especially the proximity of Champaign to Iowa City.

We must protect our turf!!

Thought they did that only during the Lick years, when CHA was often half-empty due to lack of performance and boring style of basketball?

Don't worry, Gary Barta has hired Mike Krzyzewski to make sure they don't get too rowdy.

coach-k-cameron-crazies.jpg

Meh... that was old school. Nowadays they just sit and stare at their phones with their eyes glazed over. Perhaps too much screen time, perhaps legalization of weed in IL. Who knows?

Actually I was planning for a week to go to this game just finalizing how many friends could make it. Checked the ticket office website every day for last week and almost no change in seats available (estimate about 1-2k tickets available yesterday). Went on today to buy 7 tickets and they ALL SOLD overnight. Complete sellout. Thought the website maybe glitched so called ticket office to confirm. The sections that were available were behind each basket about half way up to the top. It’s unbelievable they all sold in hours. I think OP might be correct

Actually I was planning for a week to go to this game just finalizing how many friends could make it. Checked the ticket office website every day for last week and almost no change in seats available (estimate about 1-2k tickets available yesterday). Went on today to buy 7 tickets and they ALL SOLD overnight. Complete sellout. Thought the website maybe glitched so called ticket office to confirm. The sections that were available were behind each basket about half way up to the top. It’s unbelievable they all sold in hours. I think OP might be correct

Boy, this sure smells like it. That is usually where they sit or get tickets.

I'm coming down with my two boys. If we can blister the nets from the three point line like we did against them last year...

Thought they did that only during the Lick years, when CHA was often half-empty due to lack of performance and boring style of basketball?

2004/2005 season it was orange. This was Alford. Remember walking in and looking around the bowl. Behind the baskets was 90% orange from top to bottom on both ends. Probably 40% of the sides orange. Definitely more Illinois fans in Carver that day. Tanya Alford was shouting from the peanut gallery in the postgame PC how embarrassing it was.

2004/2005 season it was orange. This was Alford. Remember walking in and looking around the bowl. Behind the baskets was 90% orange from top to bottom on both ends. Probably 40% of the sides orange. Definitely more Illinois fans in Carver that day. Tanya Alford was shouting from the peanut gallery in the postgame PC how embarrassing it was.
No Tanya, what was embarrassing was how your holier than thou husband handled the Pierre Pierce situatioan. And you, Tanya were no slouch either. When your boys were playing club ball around Iowa City I heard you weren't very quiet there either.

Those Illinois fans weren't very quiet that day either, nor should they have been. They would eventually go to the final four that year. When it was obvious they were going to win that day they started mocking Iowa by chanting NIT.

We actually played them better that year in Champaign when they were ranked #1. Took them into overtime, had a good chance.

Last edited:
If they do come IOWA fans have no one to blame except ourselves. Go to the game if you can.

Oh, and I would block any large block ticket sales, too. You need a plan B.

A good smattering of Illinois fans on hand but no Orange Krush. Was a near sellout. The number of empty seats was in the low three digits.