Will Connor McCaffrey's decision to play two sports influence Oliver Martin decision?

Golden

Now that Connor has decided to play two sports (baseball and basketball) does that influence Oliver Martin to do the same with football and baseball?

I doubt it. He's his own man. Doubt Kirk would encourage him to play both, if he chooses Iowa.
I doubt KF encourages that either. But I doubt he would flat out discourage it. He’s had players do track and football both before. And I think KF would have been on the staff back when Danan Hughes played both. Maybe he wasn’t I can’t remember what years that was now. As far as baseball and football over lapping I don’t think there really is much of one. Just with the training I suppose. The games never would so their wouldn’t be any prioritizing there to be made. Connor will have the tougher back and forth with that then Martin if he chooses to do both.

It does make one wonder though if he wasn’t Frans kid how would coach be towards that with someone else. He’s a pretty good player/prospect so of course that’s a huge factor but most coaches at D1 hoops wouldn’t be crazy about sharing a player with baseball.

If anything it makes it less likely that Oliver chooses Iowa. Its one less spot on the baseball team.

I doubt KF encourages that either. But I doubt he would flat out discourage it. He’s had players do track and football both before. And I think KF would have been on the staff back when Danan Hughes played both. Maybe he wasn’t I can’t remember what years that was now. As far as baseball and football over lapping I don’t think there really is much of one. Just with the training I suppose. The games never would so their wouldn’t be any prioritizing there to be made. Connor will have the tougher back and forth with that then Martin if he chooses to do both.

It does make one wonder though if he wasn’t Frans kid how would coach be towards that with someone else. He’s a pretty good player/prospect so of course that’s a huge factor but most coaches at D1 hoops wouldn’t be crazy about sharing a player with baseball.

Football spring practices would conflict with baseball season, but it can be done (play both sports)

It would depend on how much training Martin would miss getting ready for baseball. As a WR, I think it could be doable. It'd be easier to do football/baseball than basketball/baseball, simply because hoops and baseball seasons overlap.

Recent examples:

Football/baseball --> Jameis Winston (Florida State) -
Basketball/baseball --> Patrick Connaughton (Notre Dame) - drafted in both sports (played for Portland last year)

It would depend on how much training Martin would miss getting ready for baseball. As a WR, I think it could be doable. It'd be easier to do football/baseball than basketball/baseball, simply because hoops and baseball seasons overlap.

Another IA WR & BB player that was very successful at both:

Hughes spent his collegiate football career playing wide receiver for the University of Iowa from 1989 to 1992.
Danan Hughes also played outfield for the Hawkeyebaseball team and was one of the best two-sport athletes in Iowa history. Hughes was drafted in the 3rd round of the 1992 amateur baseball draft by theMilwaukee Brewers.[1] Only two Hawkeye baseball players have been drafted higher since 1992.

If I'm not mistaking, I do believe Tim Dwight and Bashir Yamini ran track along with playing football.

If anything it makes it less likely that Oliver chooses Iowa. Its one less spot on the baseball team.

Actually, if he's got college-level game on the diamond, it would make it a better situation for the baseball roster. The baseball team doesn't have to use any of its 11.7 scholarship allotment money as football would cover his ride.

So how good is Oliver Martin as a baseball player? I am too lazy to do the homework. Is he D-1 schollie worthy? MLB potential? Is he playing baseball because he is just one of those guys that loves to compete at everything?

Bo Porter played football and baseball at the U of I, both pretty successfully. I always thought his future was in football but he went on to be a major league manager in baseball.

So how good is Oliver Martin as a baseball player? I am too lazy to do the homework. Is he D-1 schollie worthy? MLB potential? Is he playing baseball because he is just one of those guys that loves to compete at everything?

I know Illinois and Iowa have both offered him a baseball scholarship for over a year now. He is also a great swimmer. His 16 year old sister was at the US Olympic swim trials and placed 4th. One spot higher and she'd be in Rio.

I know Illinois and Iowa have both offered him a baseball scholarship for over a year now. He is also a great swimmer. His 16 year old sister was at the US Olympic swim trials and placed 4th. One spot higher and she'd be in Rio.

Yes, but did Iowa offer him the baseball scholarship first before Illinois?

Latest posts