Will Chiefs pursue Ferentz?

SalukiJD

I know I am opening up a can of worms here, but just curious if Pioli will pursue Ferentz this time around. Seems the timing would be excellent for both, and they could certainly offer him enough to walk away from his Iowa contract.

I know I am opening up a can of worms here, but just curious if Pioli will pursue Ferentz this time around. Seems the timing would be excellent for both, and they could certainly offer him enough to walk away from his Iowa contract.

timing is a year off actually. James is a Junior. Next year would have been perfect timing.

Yes.

Rumors are that he was already contacted a few weeks back and that the retirement of Norm without the announcement of his replacement is no coincidence.

Yeah great timing for Ferentz. His son is going to be a senior starter for the Hawks next year and Im sure there is no place KF would rather be than in Oakland or San Diego getting ready for a Chiefs game next year than on the field when James runs out for Senior Day.

I guess Ferentz saying last week that he will be at Iowa for as long as the University will have him was just a line he spouted off and meant nothing.

Yeah great timing for Ferentz. His son is going to be a senior starter for the Hawks next year and Im sure there is no place KF would rather be than in Oakland or San Diego getting ready for a Chiefs game next year than on the field when James runs out for Senior Day.

I guess Ferentz saying last week that he will be at Iowa for as long as the University will have him was just a line he spouted off and meant nothing.

So, I guess his son can't play without him being the coach? This seems strange. And last time I checked, NFL teams play on Sunday, meaning it probably wouldn't take the planets realigning for him to return for his son's senior day. Besides, it's not like KC is Miami or San Diego, distance wise.

And as far as him saying he would be at Iowa forever, well, yes, that very well could have been him just spouting off.

Look, I am not saying he would GO. The question is whether the Chiefs would contact him. We all know that coaches can change their minds if the right opportunity presents itself. And he probably won't be on anyone's NFL radar as much as Pioli's in KC...so it is not an inane thought to think that KC might call and Ferentz might listen.

So, I guess his son can't play without him being the coach? This seems strange. And last time I checked, NFL teams play on Sunday, meaning it probably wouldn't take the planets realigning for him to return for his son's senior day. Besides, it's not like KC is Miami or San Diego, distance wise.

And as far as him saying he would be at Iowa forever, well, yes, that very well could have been him just spouting off.

Look, I am not saying he would GO. The question is whether the Chiefs would contact him. We all know that coaches can change their minds if the right opportunity presents itself. And he probably won't be on anyone's NFL radar as much as Pioli's in KC...so it is not an inane thought to think that KC might call and Ferentz might listen.

Youre missing the point. Where did I say James cant play football if KF isnt the coach here? I didnt. Ferentz would not give up the chance to coach James in his senior year for a job with the Chiefs.

The Chiefs very well may contact him and Ferentz will listen to what Pioli has to say and tell him "thanks, but no thanks" without even having to think twice about it.

Make 3 millions dollars a year at Iowa or make slightly more in KC and be canned in 4 years if he cant get them turned around? Pretty easy choice.

DEEEERRRRRRRPPP

Ok4p must be slow today. I am shocked there is not a KOK to Interview for KC Job thread is not posted yet.

Could the Chiefs possibly be this stupid?!? You could create an hours-long Youtube video on KFs end-of-half coaching blunders alone! lol

Jon, why are you stirring it up?

An Illini fan (who was first to tell me O'Keefe was not a finalist for the Illinois job so he knows what he is talking about) sent me this which I think is from the Twitter but I don't know:

@coachingsearch Pete Roussel
Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli has reportedly told people that Iowa's Kirk Ferentz is the leading candidate to replace Todd Haley.

An Illini fan (who was first to tell me O'Keefe was not a finalist for the Illinois job so he knows what he is talking about) sent me this which I think is from the Twitter but I don't know:

@coachingsearch Pete Roussel
Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli has reportedly told people that Iowa's Kirk Ferentz is the leading candidate to replace Todd Haley.

This is a huge blow to Iowa. Any chance that Ken Stays?

I can only hope he takes the job. Tough spot with James as a SR. What will really **** me off is if this drags for a month and kills our recruiting. KF seems to like to do that about this time of year. He gives the coy answers instead of just flat out closing the door.

I can only hope he takes the job. Tough spot with James as a SR. What will really **** me off is if this drags for a month and kills our recruiting. KF seems to like to do that about this time of year. He gives the coy answers instead of just flat out closing the door.

LOL

This is definitely a valid topic for conversation. Having coached James for 4 years would be enough for KF. It would be nice to see things through, but I think KF can see what is there for this team next year and it doesn't have the looks of a magical season by any means.

He has coached James on teams that have won Outback, Orange, and Insight Bowls and will be playing in another Insight Bowl. Will really one more third tier bowl make that much of a difference? Also, if KF took the position at KC, he could hire Brian as an assistant, and have the opportunity to bring James in as rookie the following year.

Of course it makes sense for Pioli to call as he and KF are BFFs.

Finally, it makes sense to have this conversation, because if KF doesn't move to KC, it makes no sense for him to move anywhere else over his entire career. That would, in effect, render this talk in the future just plain ridiculous.

I know some of you would say it is ridiculous right now. Well, not quite so. But it would make no sense to take another pro job if he didn't take this one. And at the next logical go around for this job KF would just be too old for a guy taking his first pro HC job.

If there was ever a time and place for a high chance at success in the NFL it would be now for Ferentz. And the team is Kansas City Chiefs. They have a lot of young talent on both sides of the ball, and they play in a division where the two of of other so-call Franchise quarterbacks are probably in the last third of their productive careers (Palmer and Rivers). Kansas City media would be more Ferentz' pace too. Probably one of the easiest media in all NFL cities.

The only real long-term scare in that division is the Denver Broncos. If Ferentz brings his same bend but don't break defensive philosophies into the NFL I think they match up will with Denver's run, Tebow run, long ball type offense.

This combined with the Legends division heading for some extreme competitiveness might be enough.

Latest posts