Will a Star be born?

Talking about sims, I always had alot of hope for him. He was explosive and I would have to go back to see if those home runs he hit were off the zone scheme. Did he end up getting hurt, was it his ankle

Sims was a solid contributer, he was just stuck behind a better back (Albert Young). And yes, most of his big runs were behind our zone scheme. A number of them were due to the OL opening a gaping hole up in the middle, while the defenders were all moving in the direction of the blocks. You simply don't give a guy like Sims that much room or he'll be in the secondary in a heartbeat. The problem with Sims is that he went down on first contact way too easily.

Also, BOTH Sims and Young were put in a tough spot in 2007 because they were stuck running behind a pretty crappy OL ... and our passing game was horribly inconsistent too. Consequently, it was pretty tough sledding for both guys throughout the entire season. I would have hoped for a nicer send-off for them as SRs.

How do we know that he has an extra gear at the D1 level or can block?

Don't know if he has an extra gear at the D1 level, but he had it in high-level prep football last year, and if's not quite the same as evaluating ability to get away from tacklers or make cutbacks, just an evaluation on his top end speed in open space. Not sure if it translates perfectly to D1 ball, but at least we know it's worked for him in the past. Same goes for his blocking. There's footage of him at camps working against LBs and he more than holds his own. Not a shocker for a guy his size.

IMO, we'd be better off getting him a LOT of touches rather than using him to spell Robinson for 5-10 times. He'll be the #2 back for the rest of the year more than likely, and if he has to make a start (God forbid) in the Big Ten, it'll be best to give him as much experience as possible beforehand. If I had my druthers, we'd sit ARob all of the second half and let both Coker and Johnson duke it out on the field for the remainder. Not only would it give us a better view at what they can do when they get into a rhythm, it would also give us more film to teach them from and save Robinson's legs for Big Ten play.

What I want to see most out of Coker, other than the ability to stay healthy, is the ability to pass block. As KF said about our final offensive drive last Saturday...we had a 15 yard completion wide open if only Stanzi could have stayed vertical for a second or so. If Coker or Robinson can be better pass protectors, it'll give time for our experienced WRs and TEs to find the open gaps and hopefully for Stanzi to connect.

A strong pass game will open up a run game, which will in turn open up our bread and butter play-action pass.

Stars aren't born in games that you are favored by 28 in. Just my hubble opinion.

THIS!!!

People, we will learn nothing from Ball State! NOTHING, NADA, ZERO, ZILCH!!!

A star may be born tomorrow and only tomorrow. Now, if it continues against PSU, OSU, MSU then we will know more.

also--- Arob had 0 chance on most of those carry's--when your getting hit the moment you get the ball--we should be grateful really that robinson's ball carrying skills showed--- let's face it-- AZ completely shut out the running game....

Ok, I was at the game and I haven't seen the replay of Arizona (can't get myself to watch again this soon), but I have to tell you...there was such a noticable difference between Jewel and ARob in quickness and burst that it was striking. ARob looked like he was running in cement. I knew Jewel had some serious quicks, but he got to the hole quicker and made decisions quicker.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but against the speed we saw against Arizona and the attacking style...you need that burst to get to the line quickly. I didn't see with ARob.

Trucking a team that only won 2 games last year wont mean a star is born. Ball State is not a good team and you guys should be able to pull a beer swilling frat boy from the stands and with your line he should be able to crack a 100.

Latest posts