Wieskamp needs a Bohannon blood transfusion

Whatever it is be it coaching or the player matchups combination of it all they have our number. Pretty safe to say that much. I mean if you cut their O rebounds in half and say Iowa gets 4 more of their own at the other end how would that alone have impacted the game? It's not often we get blitzed on the boards to that degree. That's the most disappointing part. We've overcame poor shooting here and there. But you can't overcome what becomes such a lopsided shot attempts thing.

Is there a worse feeling then being left alone out there unguarded like what they did to CM? It's too bad CM will be swinging a bat all summer. He could sure use a summer of getting 500 shots a day up. I love everything else he brings to the table. But man not much bogs down an O more then a guard that can't shoot well and then starts hesitating because they are thinking about it. Once it was in his head he needed to stop shooting it.

The worst shot in basketball (other than the one with a toe on the line) is one where you've hesitated for a second or two and then launch. It never goes in because it's not in rhythm. Either take it in rhythm or keep the ball moving, but don't sit there for 2 seconds with the ball in your hands and then decide to shoot.

He is who he is. He's a very talented shooter, an above average IQ, very average athleticism, below average strength and little to no leadership / moxy.

Signs were there in his widely recognized "silence" and lack of emotion, going back to last year but we all just accepted it as JoeW being JoeW - as long as he kept shooting 42% from 3 ;) Problem is, he's off his game and just doesn't have the demeanor or personality to pull himself back out of it. He'll keep working hard, no doubt, but a guy who has the potential to contribute and develop as much as he does shouldn't have to be reminded of it so much to get him motivated to achieve it.

JoeW would "reject" a JoeBo transfusion. It just wouldn't take. However, the Hawkeyes - especially Luka Garza and CJ - would gladly accept (and desperately need) JoeBo's life-"blood".

Next year, God (and Luka and Frank) willing.

Dementia? Or did you miss last year?

The worst shot in basketball (other than the one with a toe on the line) is one where you've hesitated for a second or two and then launch. It never goes in because it's not in rhythm. Either take it in rhythm or keep the ball moving, but don't sit there for 2 seconds with the ball in your hands and then decide to shoot.
Yeah it's so hard to not do it too. In the moment you're open and you know why they are leaving you open so you want to show them up for doing that... Only way to combat that is to get better and start hitting em.

Joe's struggles are partly in his own head and partly due to the scouting report being out on him. If Garza or a big are screening for him and the big defender hedges hard JW is picking up his dribble every time, and he's not a skilled enough passer to hit the open man.
JW really needs to work on his ball handling more than anything this off-season and develop a a mid range or floater game. He really can't create shots for himself so he's limited to shooting 3's and penetrating left and finishing with his right if the defender is smaller or overplays.

I think this drive to the basket thing that Fran has been encouraging him with has affected some of his play. Seems like he immediately is looking to drive the ball into the lane these days when I think he would be better taking or looking for his outside shot. I haven't seen that quick release from the outside like I used to see. He's definitely drawing more attention these days as well but his game is that outside shot.

Certainly rebounding was an issue last night but so was Purdue's D pressure. They were taking open shots and ours more often than not were contested..........there's that athleticism thing arising again.

I think this drive to the basket thing that Fran has been encouraging him with has affected some of his play. Seems like he immediately is looking to drive the ball into the lane these days when I think he would be better taking or looking for his outside shot. I haven't seen that quick release from the outside like I used to see. He's definitely drawing more attention these days as well but his game is that outside shot.

Certainly rebounding was an issue last night but so was Purdue's D pressure. They were taking open shots and ours more often than not were contested..........there's that athleticism thing arising again.
I don’t think it’s Fran encouraging him to be a driver. I think it Wieskamp trying time prove something to NBA scouts. Sadly he’s pretty much proven he can’t put the ball on the floor and create for himself.

In an absolute perfect world for Joe if he were ever to make the league he would be a 3 and D guy where he would space the floor and shoot 3s and be a quality defender with his length. Right now though he is an unwilling shooter and quite frankly I don’t even think he’s a good defender. Quite frankly he seems lazy at times and gets pushed around.

If the shot clock is winding down and you get the ball 15 ft from the hoop everyone of us shoots it.....Joe W will feed Pemsl at the 3 pt line.....WTH is his deal???

I don’t think it’s Fran encouraging him to be a driver. I think it Wieskamp trying time prove something to NBA scouts. Sadly he’s pretty much proven he can’t put the ball on the floor and create for himself.

In an absolute perfect world for Joe if he were ever to make the league he would be a 3 and D guy where he would space the floor and shoot 3s and be a quality defender with his length. Right now though he is an unwilling shooter and quite frankly I don’t even think he’s a good defender. Quite frankly he seems lazy at times and gets pushed around.

This. It's obvious as all get out that JW is bound and determined to show scouts his dribble drive game because that's the feedback he got. Unfortunately, he's such a terrible ball handler on top of being physically weak inside that he just get's his ass kicked every time he tries to drive. And on the times when it's stripped from him, those live ball turnovers are being converted into points by the opposition probably 90% of the time.

And if JW was tougher physically, he'd be a huge mistmatch in the post and could get so many easy baskets by either backing his guy down there with the dribble or when he cuts, setting up shop in the post and taking the pass from the top of the key (ala Wisky's swing offense). Alas, he's a one trick pony right now (outside shot) and that trick is currently in the barn unfortunately.

Whatever it is be it coaching or the player matchups combination of it all they have our number. Pretty safe to say that much. I mean if you cut their O rebounds in half and say Iowa gets 4 more of their own at the other end how would that alone have impacted the game? It's not often we get blitzed on the boards to that degree. That's the most disappointing part. We've overcame poor shooting here and there. But you can't overcome what becomes such a lopsided shot attempts thing.

Is there a worse feeling then being left alone out there unguarded like what they did to CM? It's too bad CM will be swinging a bat all summer. He could sure use a summer of getting 500 shots a day up. I love everything else he brings to the table. But man not much bogs down an O more then a guard that can't shoot well and then starts hesitating because they are thinking about it. Once it was in his head he needed to stop shooting it.

Connor is a better shooter than last year and if he improves the same rate by next year that he did from last year to this year, we'll be OK.

Just my opinion, but I don't think JW's recent struggles are related to him attempting to prove things to NBA scouts.

I think he's feeling pressure to help this team and is pressing. He's not handling physical defense well and is lacking confidence right now. He's in his own head a bit.

He'll snap out of it, IMO.

Just my opinion, but I don't think JW's recent struggles are related to him attempting to prove things to NBA scouts.

I think he's feeling pressure to help this team and is pressing. He's not handling physical defense well and is lacking confidence right now. He's in his own head a bit.

He'll snap out of it, IMO.
I don’t disagree. I was responding to a poster who said Fran is telling him to drive and I’m not sure that’s the case. Joe has been trying to drive more overall this year though.

His current struggles I think are mostly between the ears. He’s given up on his 3pt shot and that has damaged the rest of his game.

I would agree. I don't think Fran is encouraging him to drive. I think he's doing it because they are up in his space and running him off the line. And if I'm the opponent, that's exactly what you would rather him do. The lane is generally clogged because Luka is in there with defenders surrounding him.

There is absolutely zero killer instinct there. When’s the last time Joe W dove on the ground for a loose ball. I’m tired of the excuses. He needs to wake the F up. His team needs him

Or followed his f’n shot?!?!? When you haven’t shot worth a shit for a month now don’t you think you’d start following your shot??? Nope not Joe. Hold the release and fade backwards.

Last edited:
Or followed his f’n shot?!?!? When you haven’t shit worth a shit for a month now don’t you think you’d start following your shot??? Nope not Joe. Hold the release and fade backwards.
Watching Fran coached teams over the years this is pretty common. Crashing the offensive glass doesn't seem like it's in the game plan.

Or followed his f’n shot?!?!? When you haven’t shit worth a shit for a month now don’t you think you’d start following your shot??? Nope not Joe. Hold the release and fade backwards.

This would have been so much better had you started and finished it with "shit" instead of "shot"! :)

Latest posts