Wieskamp needs a Bohannon blood transfusion

homes

I was listening to Fran’s post game press conference and he was saying that Joe is looking for the perfect situation to get his shot off. That ain’t going to happen. The more the opponents understand that, the more they are going to bump him and force him off stride. And he will fade away more and more. He needs to take his cue from Jordan and shoot the ball. So what if it doesn’t go in, it will eventually. It’s not ever going in if you don’t shoot it. Iowa can’t win without him bring a threat on offense. Sunday will be a good time to start.

Basically we need to get the ball to JowW much sooner in the possession, most games, other than tonight., he is open on the wings where he can catch and shoot before thinking about it.....

He is just waiting there for the ball before the D is set.....

Lads need to put this one behind them and carry on to Illinois

Odds of us winning both games were not in our favor

If we beat the Illini, then this game will be forgotten

Much better than the other way around

:cool:

He is who he is. He's a very talented shooter, an above average IQ, very average athleticism, below average strength and little to no leadership / moxy.

Signs were there in his widely recognized "silence" and lack of emotion, going back to last year but we all just accepted it as JoeW being JoeW - as long as he kept shooting 42% from 3 ;) Problem is, he's off his game and just doesn't have the demeanor or personality to pull himself back out of it. He'll keep working hard, no doubt, but a guy who has the potential to contribute and develop as much as he does shouldn't have to be reminded of it so much to get him motivated to achieve it.

JoeW would "reject" a JoeBo transfusion. It just wouldn't take. However, the Hawkeyes - especially Luka Garza and CJ - would gladly accept (and desperately need) JoeBo's life-"blood".

Next year, God (and Luka and Frank) willing.

I was listening to Fran’s post game press conference and he was saying that Joe is looking for the perfect situation to get his shot off. That ain’t going to happen. The more the opponents understand that, the more they are going to bump him and force him off stride. And he will fade away more and more. He needs to take his cue from Jordan and shoot the ball. So what if it doesn’t go in, it will eventually. It’s not ever going in if you don’t shoot it. Iowa can’t win without him bring a threat on offense. Sunday will be a good time to start.
Joe W needs to develop a fade away jump shop . He isn’t quick enough to go around people

Joe W needs to develop a fade away jump shop . He isn’t quick enough to go around people
I dont think he has a quickness problem. He has a ball handling problem. You can't be quick with the ball without turning it over if you cant handle the ball. Just ask Joe T.

There is absolutely zero killer instinct there. When’s the last time Joe W dove on the ground for a loose ball. I’m tired of the excuses. He needs to wake the F up. His team needs him

There is absolutely zero killer instinct there. When’s the last time Joe W dove on the ground for a loose ball. I’m tired of the excuses. He needs to wake the F up. His team needs him

That part is especially weird considering how good he is at being on the floor.

He needs a sports doc in his ear. Mentally he's damaged goods out there I think. It's like after a handful of possesions if he doesn't get a good shot he feels like he has to force it. He dribbles into double teams and just doesn't see the floor well. One thing he's not is a pro. He shouldn't even consider leaving to go pro be it overseas or anywhere. It's affecting his rebounding in that he's not boxing out his guy or hustling. I'm just not a fan of how he's looked these last few weeks

Lets face it JW and the rest of the Iowa team MINUS GARZA are HOT TRASH...just a BAD team without the best player in college BB this yearl....

He needs a sports doc in his ear. Mentally he's damaged goods out there I think. It's like after a handful of possesions if he doesn't get a good shot he feels like he has to force it. He dribbles into double teams and just doesn't see the floor well. One thing he's not is a pro. He shouldn't even consider leaving to go pro be it overseas or anywhere. It's affecting his rebounding in that he's not boxing out his guy or hustling. I'm just not a fan of how he's looked these last few weeks

Based on what I saw last night I'm not sure he's the only one with a rebounding problem. On second thought I think Purdue just grabbed another offensive board.

This isn't meant to denigrate Joe because he's seems like a nice kid and, at the end of the day, it's basketball, not life and death....

With that being said, I've paid particular attention to him while he's on the court and have noticed the following:
1. More often than not he jogs back on defense
2. When the ball is on the floor he rarely, if ever, dives on the deck to get it
3. When he shoots, he never follows it for a chance at an offensive rebound.
4. When he misses, he sulks, and the opposition flies by for a fast break layup which makes his missed shots, essentially, a live ball turnover.
5. He can rarely drive to the hoop without either falling down or getting the ball stripped. On the rare times he does get to the hoop, he tries to avoid contact rather than going straight into contact to try and draw the foul.

Most of the above aren't skill issues. I can understand getting into a shooting funk....it happens. But the above aren't skill issues, they're effort issues, which is a BIG problem.

As far as I'm concerned, if this is the JW we're going to get, I'd rather he just declared after this year.

Based on what I saw last night I'm not sure he's the only one with a rebounding problem. On second thought I think Purdue just grabbed another offensive board.
For sure he wasn't the problem by any means. Give Purdue credit for hustling. The ball bounces your way when you go after it. Our guys just weren't boxing out or hustling after it much. Kreiner was beat a ton too. Just a frustrating night all the way around for everyone

Lets face it JW and the rest of the Iowa team MINUS GARZA are HOT TRASH...just a BAD team without the best player in college BB this yearl....

This could be very close to true but I wouldnt call my team hot trash. But without Garza I dont know if this team could win 10 games.

For sure he wasn't the problem by any means. Give Purdue credit for hustling. The ball bounces your way when you go after it. Our guys just weren't boxing out or hustling after it much. Kreiner was beat a ton too. Just a frustrating night all the way around for everyone

No argument there at all and I wasn't necessarily defending JW but rather calling out the rest of the players. The fact is, they were playing at home on senior night against a team that absolutely humiliated them earlier in the year. Iowa knew they needed to play at an entirely different level and simply couldn't match their intensity.

While a lot thought Purdue just had a great shooting night at home earlier in the year. Purdue came into this game like sharks smelling blood in the water and proved they were the better team.

This isn't meant to denigrate Joe because he's seems like a nice kid and, at the end of the day, it's basketball, not life and death....

With that being said, I've paid particular attention to him while he's on the court and have noticed the following:
1. More often than not he jogs back on defense
2. When the ball is on the floor he rarely, if ever, dives on the deck to get it
3. When he shoots, he never follows it for a chance at an offensive rebound.
4. When he misses, he sulks, and the opposition flies by for a fast break layup which makes his missed shots, essentially, a live ball turnover.
5. He can rarely drive to the hoop without either falling down or getting the ball stripped. On the rare times he does get to the hoop, he tries to avoid contact rather than going straight into contact to try and draw the foul.

Most of the above aren't skill issues. I can understand getting into a shooting funk....it happens. But the above aren't skill issues, they're effort issues, which is a BIG problem.

As far as I'm concerned, if this is the JW we're going to get, I'd rather he just declared after this year.

Good points. It was a lack of hustle loss last nite and you could see it in the hawks play early on. PU just kept feeding on their hustle and easy baskets, open looks and just pummeling the hawks on the boards.

I havent studied JoeW like your points above but when you arent shooting well you better be following your shot like you mentioned, you better be playing tough defense and hustling, and diving on the floor, etc.

JoeW seemed to get to the rim, drive the ball, etc much better last year. He seems to go to the right hand dribble mostly which can be overplayed, he rarely uses a head fake which might help him, and as others have said he seems to drive into a crowd and get bumped to make a turnover a lot.

I hope he can get his mojo back and hitting 3's at a higher rate will make it easier for him to drive the ball.

I was going to start my own thread but I’ll just join this one. If Joe W is going to give up on his outside shot this team is done. Last night he had several opportunities to shoot the 3 and passed them up. He’s lost all confidence.

This team is incredibly limited if he’s not going to make himself a threat from the outside. If I’m Fran I’m telling him is he doesn’t shoot open shots he’s coming out of the game, it’s just that simple. I can’t think of any other options at this point. Watching him pound the ball on the dribble and kill possessions these last couple weeks has been brutal. Either shoot the outside shot or sit and watch.

No argument there at all and I wasn't necessarily defending JW but rather calling out the rest of the players. The fact is, they were playing at home on senior night against a team that absolutely humiliated them earlier in the year. Iowa knew they needed to play at an entirely different level and simply couldn't match their intensity.

While a lot thought Purdue just had a great shooting night at home earlier in the year. Purdue came into this game like sharks smelling blood in the water and proved they were the better team.
Whatever it is be it coaching or the player matchups combination of it all they have our number. Pretty safe to say that much. I mean if you cut their O rebounds in half and say Iowa gets 4 more of their own at the other end how would that alone have impacted the game? It's not often we get blitzed on the boards to that degree. That's the most disappointing part. We've overcame poor shooting here and there. But you can't overcome what becomes such a lopsided shot attempts thing.

Is there a worse feeling then being left alone out there unguarded like what they did to CM? It's too bad CM will be swinging a bat all summer. He could sure use a summer of getting 500 shots a day up. I love everything else he brings to the table. But man not much bogs down an O more then a guard that can't shoot well and then starts hesitating because they are thinking about it. Once it was in his head he needed to stop shooting it.

Latest posts