Wieskamp, Fredrick, Hawkeyes Working to Free Themselves Up from Physical D

Iowa preparing counter attack for tactics being used to slow it down:

LINK

Well written. To me, it is a great disservice to the teams in the B1G to allow this kind of play because it does none of them any favors in the national tournament when games are officiated, usually, quite a bit tighter by not allowing the hand checking, grabbing and holding on to a player that happens regularly in the B1G.

The league has been like this for the last 25 years or so. You have to fight through it the league ain’t changing anytime soon.

I wish the Big Ten would finally just catch up and make sure their officials are consistent with the rest of the NCAA. It seems like every season at the beginning of the conference schedule, the officials are calling games tighter. At the end of the season the games have devolved into street ball.

Iowa staff should have the players watch video on the Bad Boy Pistons from the late 80s, early 90's and the Knicks teams from the 90's to see what to expect and how to counteract it. It's about come to that.

Feel like I've been saying it for years but Iowa guards need to learn a shot fake. Get the defender in the air. Especially a guy like Wieskamp who has a ton of length to him. Either shoot over the defender or ball fake, get him in the air, draw the foul or drive around him.

Seems like none of Iowa's guards except Joe T can take it to the hole so teams aren't afraid of being beaten off the dribble...at all.

Unfortunately, I think it is very difficult for a team to adjust back to the free flowing type of offense that Iowa has had under Fran after having to get accustomed to the thug ball that is played during the second half of the big ten season. If you really think about it, we played at Illinois on Sunday evening. You would have think they didnt practice any or very little on Monday, then to practice on Tuesday, maybe, then off to Indy for the tournament to do a walk through on Wednesday. Then, if they win a game or two and play into the weekend, the cycle starts over before a Thursday or Friday NCAA game. So before our first round game in the NCAA tournament, we will maybe have 2 practices to be able to correct a whole bunch of things in a backcourt that is all out of sorts.

For those that stand by the stance that all the teams get officiated the same and that you have to get used to it dont understand the nuances of schemes and how a roster is built. A reference to that is that in the 1990's teams like the Knicks and the Pistons thrived under the rules that allowed hand checking and games were played in the 60's to 80's. When those rules tightened up, it allowed offenses to be much more efficient, spacing to be a key and teams like the Warriors to thrive because of their ball movement and shooting, all while games were being played regularly over 100. When it comes to rules enforcement in basketball, even what appears to be a minor aspect of hand checking has profound and dramatic results.

Seems like none of Iowa's guards except Joe T can take it to the hole so teams aren't afraid of being beaten off the dribble...at all.
Joe and CJ have taken it to the hole enough to keep teams honest. Joe’s 2FGA 2FG% has been consistent all season. His shot attempts are about -.6 from first half to second half of the season.

It seems like at the rack is where he misses a lot.

His 3FG% has nose-dived from 44% to 22% from first 10 to last 10 and his attempts are down -2.2.

Hey there’s Patrick again fully suited up for practice.
It's crazy to think that quite possibly, Patrick getting cancer killed the '13 season and then hurt the '20 season too. Think if Patrick was built like Connor with his length and athleticism. He probably would have been our 6th man or possibly even starting. That difference could have been worth turning 3 losses into wins and winning a share of the Big 10. Obviously there are bigger reasons why it sucked he got i . But as a fan, it's very unfortunate too.

It's crazy to think that quite possibly, Patrick getting cancer killed the '13 season and then hurt the '20 season too. Think if Patrick was built like Connor with his length and athleticism. He probably would have been our 6th man or possibly even starting. That difference could have been worth turning 3 losses into wins and winning a share of the Big 10. Obviously there are bigger reasons why it sucked he got i . But as a fan, it's very unfortunate too.

People have thrown out the Nicholas Baer comparisons. No clue if that is accurate or not. A jack of all trades type to come off the bench and occasionally start is exactly what this team needs.