Wide Receivers

KatoZenti

We can see why this group is at the bottom of the entire B1G conference. I mean dead last.

Matt VandeBerg and Nick Easley are possession receivers who lack speed. They drop balls and can't separate.

Brandon Smith and Ihmir Smith-Marsette are very green and having a crash course this year. Potential is there, but maybe a year away.

Davonte Young and Adrian Falconer are either not getting it or an afterthought since being in the program for awhile. Are they a big whiff in the recruiting process?

Kelton Copeland has got a big task ahead of him to make big gains with this group to even be competitive in any games moving forward.

Any thoughts with this group.

That’s false, Iowa is 6th in the big 10 in passing. These guys have made a number of great plays this season.

MVB has had his chances, and he's never going to be better than average on his best day, and substantially worse on other days. NE, BS, and ISM are young and can improve. DY and AF have shown no ability to be B1G-level WRs. The majority of plays in practice and games should be given to the kids.

We can see why this group is at the bottom of the entire B1G conference. I mean dead last.

Matt VandeBerg and Nick Easley are possession receivers who lack speed. They drop balls and can't separate.

Brandon Smith and Ihmir Smith-Marsette are very green and having a crash course this year. Potential is there, but maybe a year away.

Davonte Young and Adrian Falconer are either not getting it or an afterthought since being in the program for awhile. Are they a big whiff in the recruiting process?

Kelton Copeland has got a big task ahead of him to make big gains with this group to even be competitive in any games moving forward.

Any thoughts with this group.

Yes. At this point both guys have been passed by 3 true freshman and a JC transfer. Big whiff. I like the top 4 guys. But 3 of them have been in the program a matter of months and the other is coming off 2 foot injuries.

MAC level talent at best at the receiver position. Recruiting matters, and what talented receiver would want to come play in this dumpster fire of an offense?

Where the heck is Matt Quarells and why is he not in the rotation!?
The dude was the last person to arrive on campus for the team. He was always going to be climbing uphill to get in the game. He hardly had any reps preseason to even show what he could do. To me it's how they use them. Your throwing deep to JVB and he's not a deep threat guy. You run Brandon Smith on short hitches and crossing routes when he should be going downfield to try and win jump balls against smaller DBs. I think they are using Easley about how he should be but outside him they leave my head scratching.. There were a few snaps during the game where they had JVB Easley and Max Cooper out there. 3 slower then average at best white WRs that are all under 6-1. How many D1 programs would have a set like that out there? I hate to say this but you compare us to ISUs group and it's not even close. Talent has to get better it just does.

What you said is true but there’s a nuance there that makes it even worse. Stanley throws a lot of his short passes at 100 mph and in bad spots. He hits receivers in the hands but at awkward angles and makes them reach and stretch out, which adds to the drops. If Easley and VB were solid P5 receivers they’d catch more of those, so in my opinion the drops are on the WRs and Stanley equally.

Our WR's always seem to be blamed for not being able to create separation and there's this false narrative they lack speed when it's more of the scheme that is to blame. Riley McCarron was accused of this last year and then posted a 4.36 40-yard dash and a 40 inch vertical. We have/had athletes on the team, our coaches just don't know how to utilize them.

Comeback patterns almost always create separation. Receiver with decent speed drives back the defender and when they turn they can comeback inline with the qb. Pretty common. then run other stop and go routes etc off of the comeback.

High chance for completion for good yardage. Our receivers should be able to do this and Nate has the strong arm to get it to him.

Our WR's always seem to be blamed for not being able to create separation and there's this false narrative they lack speed when it's more of the scheme that is to blame. Riley McCarron was accused of this last year and then posted a 4.36 40-yard dash and a 40 inch vertical. We have/had athletes on the team, our coaches just don't know how to utilize them.

Bingo. It's the routes, not the receivers.