Why were we so Conservative in that 2nd half?

I0WA

I understand we were up 17-3. But really? It seemed to me like every play was a -1 yard rush or a run for no gain. It was kind nice to see us throw the ball a little bit in the 4th. Im just glad we got a good W tonite against a "decent" Penn St. team. We were the dominant offensive team in the 1st half and it seemed to me like we held back a bit and we could have impressed the Polls by putting up more points but we aren't Oregon lol. Also I loved all the praise the commentators were giving us like comparing to Alabama. LETS GO HAWKS AND COULDN'T ASK FOR A BETTER BYE WEEK GETTING PREPARED FOR B*TCHIGAN!

Its all on The Captain's back, he should've just got some more reps for the "O". Why keep running to the right is what blew my mind. Obviously, that didn't work after the 3rd time running it. Why not switch it up and run to the right side? Blows my mind!

Penn State put together one good drive for the entire game, and it ended in zero points for them. Iowa could afford to play conservative because they had a 14 point lead, and the PSU offense was never really a threat.

It's been this way for 12 years now, why act surprised?

a 2 score lead with PSU showing no signs of forming a threat....I CANT BELIEVE we were conservative!

As Cris Carter would say....CMON MAN!!!

Because there was no way Penn State was going to be able to string drives together to get points, so as long as the Hawks avoided shooting themselves in the foot, this game was in the bag. Penn State really on had one good drive all game and that was to start the 2nd half. Sure, they almost scored at end of half but that was on Iowa mistakes -- personal foul, and whatever Prater was doing when he got beat.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but with the flow of the game I think the coaching staff felt as long as we made them start drives on their side of the 50 we'd be fine. It looked like at one point in the 2nd half that field position was going to swing into our favor, but then their punter launched a 70 yd punt.

Hawks win!!!

Shada has a Cyclone complex...it makes him jump on reasonable clones like yourself for really no reason

This is true. I get a charge out of SR, but...he's over the line nutty when it comes to the clowns.:confused:

Kirk Ferentz has a little more class. Hes not like that idiot across the river whose running the show for the Big Red Delusion. Ferentz does not care about style points I do not agree with that but you will never see the starters still in the game with a 26 pts lead with 3 minutes remaning. Like I saw a couple of weeks ago with the Nebraska Washington game, I would like to see a at least a 30 pts cushion before we start sittin on leads.

Penn State put together one good drive for the entire game, and it ended in zero points for them. Iowa could afford to play conservative because they had a 14 point lead, and the PSU offense was never really a threat.

It's been this way for 12 years now, why act surprised?

But it doesn't necessarily take "one good drive" as evidence by Prater's mishap Hyde's near mishap. Our secondary is far from what it was last year, and they've proven that they're susceptible to the deep ball. That's all it takes to make it a close game. Instead of putting distance between us and them, we were just crossing our fingers hoping Hyde didn't get toasted again by a guy who clocked a 4.23 40.

I'm not at all surprised with how conservative, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. I'm not wanting us to run up the score or anything. But I don't want to see us lay off the gas until we're up by three TD's. It's true that Penn State hadn't put up any kind of threat outside of the one drive. But, being up two TD's always makes me nervous if we're just trying to sit on it for two quarters. If I remember correctly, our offense hadn't really threatened much at Penn State last year, then we make a break for ourselves, and the rest is history. I don't want to let teams hang around so that one break gets them back into the game. If PSU gets a pick 6, or a kickoff return TD, etc., who knows how they might react? It might end up being a fluke, but it could also spark them. If you're up three TD's, that one break still leaves you up by 14.

The game is 4 quarters. We could at least make an effort to play 3, rather than just 2.

But apparently that is just too damn much to ask for.

Latest posts