Why This Might Be the Most Important Year of Iowa Football Ever

BSpringsteen

I do not believe that the importance of this year can possible be overstated. I believe it is critical to the long term success of Iowa Football as a strong national program.

First off, we have huge expectations this year. KF can not be an elite coach if every time we have huge expectations, we have a nice 8-4 year. Elite coaches and elite programs embrace those expectations and thrive off of them. Iowa proving that they can handle the expectations and be BCS bound solidifies the program.

Secondly, another BCS win... how many schools have won two BCS games in a row? Look at our recruiting now, it is going beautifully. Now imagine the momentum with two straight BCS wins. Going into a potential rebuilding year in 2011, the next two recruiting classes can ensure that we become a program that reloads rather than rebuilds.

I believe KF has another 60 something wins to eclipse Hayden Fry as the winningest coach in Iowa history and I firmly believe that is his goal. To want to be a head coach, you have to have a tremendous ego, regardless of whether you celebrate it publicly or not.

Conversely, if we go 8-4 or even 9-3 in the regular season, and end up in Tampa, I think you have to look at that as a wasted opportunity for the future of this program. Yes, injuries happen, yes an oblong ball takes funny bounces, and yes, 9-3 is usually nothing to sneeze at. But by and large the hardest working most talented teams win each week. If we make sure we are the hardest working team in every game, we have enough talent to not make it close.

A 8 or 9 win season means that Iowa isn't a top program because when the klieg lights are shining, we run for cover rather than embrace it.

This is the year to prove we are a national power. To separate ourselves by reputation as being at the same level as the Michigan State and Purdue, and maybe even Wisconsin.

Win 11 or 12 games again this year, and we are going to have some really enjoyable autumns at Kinnick Stadium for the foreseeable future.

Couldn't have said it better. Great post. I'll be a fan of Ferentz regardless. He's been loyal to the Hawkeye program and helped us enjoy a level of success that we should never take for granted. Let's face it... we live in Iowa. A great place to raise a family but a difficult place to maintain a Top 25 program. Only a great coach can do it and Ferentz has. He's even vaulted us into the Top 10 at times. I think he deserves the chance to be at Iowa as long as he wants to. Going 8-4 or 9-3 this year will not change my opinion on that even tho the kool-aid we're all drinking is making us expect 10-2 or better (and we have many reasons to believe that's possible). More important than his success is the fact that he's a great person and so are almost all of the players that go through his program.

With that said, I completely agree with you. If we ever want to enjoy a period of football where we can simply reload instead of rebuild every couple of years this season is critical. The Hawks need to prove to the nation that they can live up to and/or exceed expectations when they are set this high. I believe these last couple of months are a great example of how success can help recruiting a player to Iowa. If we can have back to back BCS wins I think that would set us up for some pretty special recruiting classes.

Good post and overall message. As much as this year is the most important year, I think next year will be the best measuring stick of how far the program has come. Next year will likely be a down year but we may have to change our definition of what a down year is. We are getting very close to being a program that reloads instead of rebuilding. If we can reach this level, our down seasons are going to be 7-9 wins and a lower tier bowl, as opposed to 5 or 6 wins and no post season.

Of course, much like any successful program, we are only 1 bad hire away from college football irrelevance. Just as the (not so) mighty Michigan Wolverines. Our hire after Ferentz has retired (hopefully 10-12 more years) will also weigh highly into determining our staying power.

All of these post are completely SPOT ON! hell, we could fumble phuck this season and suck fatties and i'd still wear my black N gold all day log---but this season is truly a major turning point for years to come--- just look at the last decade-- this program is back to top 15/25 status for sure-- Now we're just knocking on the door for being in the national status/real deal, however you want to coin it--- and i don't care how "rural" this state is.... we can make it happen....

I think Ferentz has another 10 years left in him. And in his most private moments, I would believe these are his thoughts...

He retires at age 65 as the winningest coach in Iowa history, and likely with so many wins that he won't be topped.

He stayed at the school for 21 years and the next coach can look at a place that has had two coaches in 40+ years.

He was paid what he deserved for putting Iowa football into such a grand national position.

The next Iowa coach will be a current or future assistant coach or coordinator creating his own coaching tree and continuing his legacy.

Most importantly, I think KF is a really smart dude. I think he realizes now how close it was to slipping away from him in 2006. To rebuild a program once is hard enough, to do it twice is nearly impossible, yet that is what he did. If he wants to go out on top, and we all know he does, he can't let his team play like fat cats again.

It is the combination of all of these thoughts that make me really really excited for this year of football.

2010 is important, no doubt.

However, 1979 was the most important year ever in Iowa FB history.

I do not believe that the importance of this year can possible be overstated. I believe it is critical to the long term success of Iowa Football as a strong national program.

First off, we have huge expectations this year. KF can not be an elite coach if every time we have huge expectations, we have a nice 8-4 year. Elite coaches and elite programs embrace those expectations and thrive off of them. Iowa proving that they can handle the expectations and be BCS bound solidifies the program.

Secondly, another BCS win... how many schools have won two BCS games in a row? Look at our recruiting now, it is going beautifully. Now imagine the momentum with two straight BCS wins. Going into a potential rebuilding year in 2011, the next two recruiting classes can ensure that we become a program that reloads rather than rebuilds.

I believe KF has another 60 something wins to eclipse Hayden Fry as the winningest coach in Iowa history and I firmly believe that is his goal. To want to be a head coach, you have to have a tremendous ego, regardless of whether you celebrate it publicly or not.

Conversely, if we go 8-4 or even 9-3 in the regular season, and end up in Tampa, I think you have to look at that as a wasted opportunity for the future of this program. Yes, injuries happen, yes an oblong ball takes funny bounces, and yes, 9-3 is usually nothing to sneeze at. But by and large the hardest working most talented teams win each week. If we make sure we are the hardest working team in every game, we have enough talent to not make it close.

A 8 or 9 win season means that Iowa isn't a top program because when the klieg lights are shining, we run for cover rather than embrace it.

This is the year to prove we are a national power. To separate ourselves by reputation as being at the same level as the Michigan State and Purdue, and maybe even Wisconsin.

Win 11 or 12 games again this year, and we are going to have some really enjoyable autumns at Kinnick Stadium for the foreseeable future.

intensely competitive ≠ egomaniacal

I rarely agree with anything Bruce has to say, and although I might quibble with "most important ever," I think this is a pretty solid take.

Its tough to be considered a national threat if Iowa finishes second or lower in the Big 10 conference again. A 10-1 season is a great year but it means Iowa lost to OSU again. Iowa won all of their close games last year except the OSU game. Iowa needs to get past OSU to be taken seriously.

The Iowa defense was strong last year, but suffered when they were left on the field too long. Mostly due to Ricky's irratic play. His INT's have drop dramatically. With no pick 6s.

This can be a pivital year for Iowa. A 9-3 year means a good year, but recruiting will be the same. An occasional 5 star, mostly 3 and 4 star players.

Last edited:
intensely competitive ≠ egomaniacal

This. Most coaches are just competitive. Even Saban I don't think is really egomaniacal. He's just more competitive than everyone else. He micromanages, but he is just a really hands-on kind of guy. And given his results, I can't fault him for that. Now if he were hands-on and it was hurting his team, THEN you could call him egomanaical. But when it produces national championships, it's just ultra-competitiveness.

+1000000000000000000000000000000

relax fellas

just another year and the pgm is heading in the right direction

Kirk is doing a great job

IMO, this is the year we MUST beat Ohio St and own Kinnick stadium. Teams must dread coming to Kinnick, simply dread playing in Kinnick. Iowa and Iowa fans must make Kinnick an absolute snake pit...fans spit on players, throw things at them, yell vile things at them, rape their girl friends, sell their children (just kidding with the last five).

Relax fellas???

Doesn't sound to me like anyone needs to relax. We're simply pumped about the upcoming year and the possibilities of the future. I don't think anyone needs to relax we're well aware Kirk is doing a fantastic job.

Latest posts