Why the Ferentz Era is at an end

A great read. It is well beyond time, but the administration will keep this thing tied up so long as there are butts in the seats at Kinnick. Iowa fans need to be proactive from this point on. If not, then all you have is hope he will step down on his own.

This is the real sign of change: how many state media people are willing to risk their credentials by writing the truth.

Corollary: If you have to write "of course no changes will be made" in the first two sentences of your story, you're part of the problem. I'm looking at you, Hlas.

Well-thought and well-written article. Easily his best.

He put a lot of thoughts into this , Thanks for sharing this. I'm sure a lot of us are thinking the same way.

Why can't an article like this be published in the mainstream local media so fellow alums like Aunt Betty and Uncle Joe, who have a voice &/or money and are content with whatever is shown in front of them, can have the dots connected for them before they throw more $ at the problem and not the solution?

It was an awesome piece from Dave. Succinct in every phase and lays out everything that bothers me about this program. Well done Dave. Now like the other poster says if we can just get a Rick Brown on board to write something a bit more scathing then "Iowa is at a crossroads". Dig your heels in a little boys, your the ones who can help change unfortunately more so that Jon or Dave. I wish this piece would hit the front section of the sports page of the dmr, that would turn heads. At any rate great work and keep it up.

Unfortunately, Ferentz is like a king who has no clue what is going on outside the castle. If you listen to him, he is oblivious. He has a kiss butt athletic director telling him that the program is going in the right direction, a fat paycheck, and is treated like a God. He is not going anywhere, as he feels he can do no wrong. Hell, he can donate .0001% of his salary to charity and the folks on this board think he's the most generous man alive.

Unfortunately, Ferentz is like a king who has no clue what is going on outside the castle. If you listen to him, he is oblivious. He has a kiss butt athletic director telling him that the program is going in the right direction, a fat paycheck, and is treated like a God. He is not going anywhere, as he feels he can do no wrong. Hell, he can donate .0001% of his salary to charity and the folks on this board think he's the most generous man alive.

If there is one thing Ferentz isn't, it's oblivious. He knows the mood surrounding the program right now; hell, he's been trolling it for several weeks now.

The one thing about history is that we are often destined to repeat it. This feels so much like the end of the Fry era, where the program Fry left Ferentz was in disarray and struggling. I don't think it's as bad as that, but it's headed in that direction.

It's time for the AD to make a decision that will become controversial to some, unpopular to some, and disloyal to some. For others it will end 4 years of misery and frustration.

Gary...your time to grab the limelight is now. Choose the successor wisely.

Why can't an article like this be published in the mainstream local media so fellow alums like Aunt Betty and Uncle Joe, who have a voice &/or money and are content with whatever is shown in front of them, can have the dots connected for them before they throw more $ at the problem and not the solution?

My favorite part of the article was "I kept saying next year will be the year". That was the clarion call of the Alford years.

I feel like I know the answer to Colorado's query. It's the same reason Kakert and Howe have banned thousands of handles this year and probably 50,000 in the last 4. Once Iowans get attached to someone or something, they won't let go, and fear rules their decision-making process. Main reason Lick got fired was because of a player revolt. It should never have come to that. Willies was a player revolt in microcosm. But Barta is oblivious. And Oblivion is the next stop on this train to Clowntown. Barta will go down in Hawkeye-lore as the AD who derailed what could have been.

While this is a great article, the end of the Ferentz era could be a long time from now. That end will be determined solely by the fans.

Iowa football is like any other business, its life-blood is its customers and its overall relationship with them. As long as Iowa football "customers" continue to buy this product, insightful articles like this will fall on deaf ears when it comes to the actual decision makers.

While this is a great article, the end of the Ferentz era could be a long time from now. That end will be determined solely by the fans.

Iowa football is like any other business, its life-blood is its customers and its overall relationship with them. As long as Iowa football "customers" continue to buy this product, insightful articles like this will fall on deaf ears when it comes to the actual decision makers.

True. But there's an "official" end. And an "emotional" end. This article is focused on the emotional end. Kirk may well be here till 2020. At that point Delaney may be openly chastising the University of Iowa and its fans.

Ferentz is a very very personable and charitable person. I really don't see how trying to tear him down with hyperbole in regards to his charitable works strengthens your argument at all. I can separate the two just fine. Him being a really great person and charitable with both his time and money; and his impact as a coach for the program.

That said I feel him staying will only dig a bigger hole for the next coach to start digging out of. I think it'd be best if he were to step away or be fired for all the same reasons the author of that listed.

Can Iowa get Stoops now? I think he may take a long hard look at a change of scenery if one such as ours was open to him... Who says one can't go home again. He would be a God to this state if he could come and turn it around quick. I can think of a somewhat similar deal happening real recently (Harbaugh) Think about the situation Stoops is in. He's in a similar spot Ferentz is just not quite as bad but in the world of the OU fans they aren't awhole lot happier then we are... I think rebuilding Iowa would be very doable considering the BIG west being what it is and a coach like Stoops with his recruiting ties could instantly energize the program.

The problem is it's on Bartas shoulders... Ferentz isn't stepping down. Most wouldn't. I don't think Barta has the hair on his balls to pull that trigger and do what needs to be done. Only way he would is if the fan base and boosters all but demand it. So I think the ball is in our court. Not the medias or Bartas. We have to leave him no choice by our voices being heard and money kept in our pockets...

Do you know what's sad about this?

1. The fan base is expecting a a change, but Kirk will just laugh at us and nothing will happen.
2. Our AD has no power over his subordinate, and feeds BS to the fan base.
3. We have to watch this mess at least one more year.
4. The rest of the nation is laughing at our problem, because it's benefiting them.

It's a sad, sad, sad time. Hold on tight everyone.

Article was spot on. There are no more excuses. No more "wait until next year," no more "lack of execution," and no more "that's football."

Its time for a change at the University of Iowa. And that change is NOW. Not next year. The football program will only continue to digress and it will continue to get worse before it gets better.

In 35 years of being a Hawk fan the only other time I was this apathetic was the end of the Fry regime. Right now reminds me very much of that period in time. Where the talent gap between us and them became so apparent.

Kirk as done great things for Iowa football. As did Hayden. But we can't live on past successes. The time to make a change is here. Do the right thing Gary. The University of Iowa and its fans deserve more.

The guy just said what people have been saying for months/years. He's a total hack. Let him strap on a jock or pace the sidelines and then I'll believe he knows what the he11 he's talking about. Some people remind me of my daughter at Christmas, if it has Frozen on it, it's good, or in this case, if it says Ferentz is bad, it's good.

My favorite part of the article was "I kept saying next year will be the year". That was the clarion call of the Alford years.

I feel like I know the answer to Colorado's query. It's the same reason Kakert and Howe have banned thousands of handles this year and probably 50,000 in the last 4. Once Iowans get attached to someone or something, they won't let go, and fear rules their decision-making process. Main reason Lick got fired was because of a player revolt. It should never have come to that. Willies was a player revolt in microcosm. But Barta is oblivious. And Oblivion is the next stop on this train to Clowntown. Barta will go down in Hawkeye-lore as the AD who derailed what could have been.

actually this was the feeling I got from the bowl game. I think the players are revolting! Feels like they have been all year.

Latest posts