Why Spring Football will not work.

thawks

First- 3rd year players and Seniors will be in draft mode. Many will not risk injury. Secondly after the season ends they have less than 3 months until the next season begins. Many players will require surgery. I feel in the end it is way too much wear and tear on the bodies.

First- 3rd year players and Seniors will be in draft mode. Many will not risk injury. Secondly after the season ends they have less than 3 months until the next season begins. Many players will require surgery. I feel in the end it is way too much wear and tear on the bodies.

People who say it won't work are just basically saying it to say it. Of course it will work. Why won't it? The schools have to have to have it. The players have to have it. So, you'll make it work. The NFL guys will opt out. They were ALREADY doing that before the season was cancelled. Plenty will opt for spring. I doubt we see Alaric play another snap of Iowa football. Themz the breaks in a pandemic. If they start the season in January, play 8 games and it's over by March, that leaves almost 6 months before the next season. More then likely, ya push the start of that and maybe lose some more non-cons, but ya finish the same time as everyone else. They play 20 games a season at the next level every year, college football can and will have to find a way to do it.

So we shut down the fall season for player safety concerns and then the players shut down for spring seasons due to concerns they don't want to risk it for the future whether it be NFL or fall season. In the end everyone wins.

Not to mention this...

B1G football in January/Feb makes zero sense. Here are the average HIGH temps for some B1G cities in Jan/Feb. Lincoln 33/39 Iowa City 31/35 Minneapolis 22/26 Madison 27/31 Chicago 32/36 Ann Arbor 31/35 East Lansing 30/33 State College 33/37. Bloomington is the hot spot with 36/41. Sounds like great football weather. Oh yeah, there's that whole snow and ice thing too. Genius...just genius.

Want to play only in domed stadiums? So much for the college football vibe and competitive balance. A few teams get little or no travel, the rest travel for every game.

So we shut down the fall season for player safety concerns and then the players shut down for spring seasons due to concerns they don't want to risk it for the future whether it be NFL or fall season. In the end everyone wins.

Correction. In the end nobody wins.

I've really been given no real reason it won't work. Again, the NFL plays 20 games a season. You can make the practices less contact to help ease the wear on the bodies, drop some pre-season games from next season - play 8 in the spring, 10 the next fall. Seasons over before the draft. Look, they play NFL games in in Green Bay in January and February. Also, put it in domes, there are work around's for almost everyone who says "It won't work"... I've yet to REALLY hear a real reason why it won't. If I did I might change my mind. Most of the reasons people state to me are like "so what?" The B1G is gonna get it's games in, it's important to the schools, the players and the fans.

I've really been given no real reason it won't work. Again, the NFL plays 20 games a season. You can make the practices less contact to help ease the wear on the bodies, drop some pre-season games from next season - play 8 in the spring, 10 the next fall. Seasons over before the draft. Look, they play NFL games in in Green Bay in January and February. Also, put it in domes, there are work around's for almost everyone who says "It won't work"... I've yet to REALLY hear a real reason why it won't. If I did I might change my mind. Most of the reasons people state to me are like "so what?" The B1G is gonna get it's games in, it's important to the schools, the players and the fans.

Anywhere from 18-22 games during a 9 mos. stretch.....If they do it I do not want the B1G to EVER cry about the health and welfare of their athletes again.

Riddle me this. Why are some worried about the health risk for players with a spring season followed by fall football in 2021 as well, but they support the players’ wishes to play this fall and are fine with them risking damage to their health from Covid 19? Pretty confusing.

Riddle me this. Why are some worried about the health risk for players with a spring season followed by fall football in 2021 as well, but they support the players’ wishes to play this fall and are fine with them risking damage to their health from Covid 19? Pretty confusing.

Let me clear up the confusion for you. There is years of data available on the health effects of football. That would include the amount of time the body needs to recover after a long physical football season before ramping up to do it again. There is less data available on the risks to healthy young athletes regarding covid. The data we do have suggests the short-term and long-term health risks to college athletes is almost nil. There are anecdotal and speculative theories out there that fear the worst. Some people believe those unknown risks are too great. Other folks, like myself, believe that it is reasonable for an athlete and their family to believe those risks are remote, manageable and worth taking.

Well that is a stupid time to start a spring season unless they mean practice starts in mid January.

The season shouldnt start until late Feb/early March at the earliest and you can still get it done by mid May.

Still haven't heard a real legit reason why it won't work in the spring. Shorten the seasons, and if your answer is to protect next seasons entirety over playing this Spring, you don't understand how fiscal budgets work. They need that revenue now, they are going to play football at some point in the B1G this year.

IMO it's not the amount of games in a calendar year that is the issue. I think the bigger issue is the off season, or lack there of, between fall and spring to allow players time for their bodies to recover. While your right that the the NFL plays a 20 game season they actually have approximately 7 months from the Super Bowl to Week 1, not including camps and preseason. That's 7 months between start and end dates. And the NCAA is talking about playing 2 seasons in just a little over that same amount of time. I see that as a major problem. I also see the availability of domed stadiums being an issue as I'm concerned about additional injuries resulting from fields not being game ready, be it frozen fields or fields that are absolutely demolished and rugged due to grass not having ample time to grow prior to the start.

I totally agree that the BIG wants to get these games in and players and coaches want to as well, but the fact is the players and coaches want to compete. The conference wants a revenue stream and it's unfair to those putting their bodies at risk for the NCAA and conferences to say the safety of their players is their number one concern.

Still haven't heard a real legit reason why it won't work in the spring. Shorten the seasons, and if your answer is to protect next seasons entirety over playing this Spring, you don't understand how fiscal budgets work. They need that revenue now, they are going to play football at some point in the B1G this year.

I'm not arguing and totally see the logic behind that line of thinking, but at the same time if they truly cancelled the fall season for the "safety of the players" then devil's advocate would say that the need for revenue is not a legit reason either if it compromises the safety of those playing.

Why not just send the student bodies home (like they'll end up doing eventually) have them all take classes remotely and keep the football players in dorms forming their own NBA style 'Bubble' of sorts. Coaches would be able to have them under their thumbs. Kids still get to have a season. Win win. Would the players actually not want that compared to being on campus going to classes (till they can't) and not playing?

It will depend on where the proverbial "goal posts" are by spring. There won't be a widely distributed vaccine yet, but if Orange Man loses the election and the media is able to turn the fear dial down from 12 to 3, maybe they can change public perception enough to make it seem okay to play football. But if we're being honest, The Germ will prolly flare way the hell up when normal cold and flu season hits and spread would be far more likely in the balls cold of February than now because respiratory viruses really take off in the cold due to better conditions for growth in the lungs and throat and a slight seasonal weakening of the immune system. If they were gonna do a season and were actually concerned with The Germ, the best time would have been September and October. 8 games in 8 weeks before it gets cold as shit in the north.

Why not just send the student bodies home (like they'll end up doing eventually) have them all take classes remotely and keep the football players in dorms forming their own NBA style 'Bubble' of sorts. Coaches would be able to have them under their thumbs. Kids still get to have a season. Win win. Would the players actually not want that compared to being on campus going to classes (till they can't) and not playing?

Plenty of the kids wouldn't go home, there will still be parties, and it only takes one dipshit to not respect the bubble to infect a quarter of the damned team. You can't watch 100 kids at all times.

Plenty of the kids wouldn't go home, there will still be parties, and it only takes one dipshit to not respect the bubble to infect a quarter of the damned team. You can't watch 100 kids at all times.
It wouldn't be perfect but at least it'd be close enough to try giving it a go. Hell the NBAs wasn't perfect with players doing right by it and they are pros. One would hope with how this has unfolded that it might have scared the seriousness of the situation into them some more. But yeah no you're right. Out of 100 football players or so they'll be 5 to 10 maybe more knuckle heads and that's more then it takes to mess it up for everyone. It's not fool proof unless you really quarantine them off. I just wish they'd try. This sucks balls.

Latest posts