Why so much hate on Barta?

eccpanther

Everyones number one pick is Bruce Pearl. Barta has to know how much he would hurt himself if he does not get a "NO" from Bruce Pearl before offering the job to anyone else. That isn't going to happen until they lose. Until that happens he is obviously going to find out what other interest there is in the job, which doesn't sound like much. Interviews are also going to take place during this time as well. that way Barta has all his ducks in a row once Pearl says "NO," and he will say no. I still say if we offer the money its going to attract a quality coach, I hope....... There easily could be other coaches that have been talked to that just haven't leaked out yet. I just think we should be giving the guy some time to do his job. Just because he interviewed the Utah coach doesn't mean thats how low we are going, I hope....

Maybe he still hasn't talked to any of the what would be considered "home run" coaches. What would he say to them...???.. Hey are you interested in our coaching job? If so, hang on until we get a "NO" from Bruce Pearl and I will come back and talk to you becuase your not our first choice.

I am assuming "the your not our first choice" is obvious for the Utah coach, but would not make sense to our "home run" list...... I sure hope there is a "home run" list....

And... It could be that I am way off on this. Regardless, I think we need to wait and see what Barta does before we say how bad of a job he is doing. In all reality we have no idea what he is doing.

Many people are just afraid Barta will blow this hire the same way he did last time and you can't blame them. The Lickliter hire has left a bad taste in people's mouths and they don't want to see another bad choice from Barta.

Everyones number one pick is Bruce Pearl. Barta has to know how much he would hurt himself if he does not get a "NO" from Bruce Pearl before offering the job to anyone else. That isn't going to happen until they lose. Until that happens he is obviously going to find out what other interest there is in the job, which doesn't sound like much. Interviews are also going to take place during this time as well. that way Barta has all his ducks in a row once Pearl says "NO," and he will say no. I still say if we offer the money its going to attract a quality coach, I hope....... There easily could be other coaches that have been talked to that just haven't leaked out yet. I just think we should be giving the guy some time to do his job. Just because he interviewed the Utah coach doesn't mean thats how low we are going, I hope....

Maybe he still hasn't talked to any of the what would be considered "home run" coaches. What would he say to them...???.. Hey are you interested in our coaching job? If so, hang on until we get a "NO" from Bruce Pearl and I will come back and talk to you becuase your not our first choice.

I am assuming "the your not our first choice" is obvious for the Utah coach, but would not make sense to our "home run" list...... I sure hope there is a "home run" list....

And... It could be that I am way off on this. Regardless, I think we need to wait and see what Barta does before we say how bad of a job he is doing. In all reality we have no idea what he is doing.

Fans are passionate about Iowa athletics. They want the best for the program and they don't want another Lickliter hire. Barta, afterall, is the one who hired Lickliter and that, as we know, was a disaster.

I think fans are valid in feeling skeptical about what options Barta might be exploring. You are correct, everything thus far is filled with lots of unknowns. But this is Iowa basketball and Iowa basketball has been down for about 10 years. Fans want Barta to get it right this time.

I withhold judgement to see who actually becomes the next coach and not just speculation. Then I will see if I am going to hate on Barta.

I think folks just get antsy that there is no known momentum on the hire. I'm hopeful that Barta is making good progress, I'm just amazed at how quiet things have been and the media has very little to go on, he's done a masterful job at keeping things so quiet. I'm not sure if that translates into a good hire, but very impressive in this day and age.

I love Barta, but I think we're all a little skeptical on his next hire. We should all be firmly in his camp since he axed Lickliter before it got worse. That took a lot of guts, which makes me think he has the best interest of the program at heart

It is part of the AD's job description....''whipping boy/scapegoat''...it is why they get the big bucks...LOL.

All we can do is yell a the passing clouds right now...we know nothing.
We are saving our real rancor for when the new coach is announced...joking.

It's not entirey Barta's fault for hiring Lickliter resulting in the further decline of the Iowa basketball program. Look at what Lickliter has done at Butler and where the Butler program is today? They are in the Elite Eight in the NCAA tournament.

I think there are a combination of factors that led to the further decline of the Iowa basketball program. I do not know what all of the factors are. But us Iowa fans need to bear some of the responsibility for not filling the arena and speading negative comments about Barta and Lickliter over the past several months as one of the factors.

It's easy to be critical of past decsions (20-20 hindsight). But hiring a former national coach of the year seemed like a very good hire at the time.

As long as Barta is our AD we need to be supportive of him and respect the amount of responsibility and accountability he has in his job function.

Barta claimed Lick coached "an exciting brand of basketball"---that should tell you something; he needs to go yard with this hire, but he is going to go with the safe hire here; he has to be confused; he last hired the COY, fired him and now he is seeing the 'Butler way' work in the tourney.
I don't think he has a high basketball IQ, nor has he caught the Iowa fan's vision and disposition regarding Hawk Basketball. If he had, he wouldn't need the consulting firm. He is of the ilk of the rest of the committee except Bobby.
I don't thinkg there is much Barta 'hate' out there, as there is suspicion, which has been proven to be warranted---not only by the Lick hire, but by the myriad of contradictions uttered by Barta when he fired Lick. At that PC he was like a fox in a forrest fire.
No body really knows whats going on and that probably includes Barta. He, like Bowlsby, hired the flavor of the day; Bowlsby took enough crap, got mad enough and got out and went to Stanford. If this hire is not the right hire, Barta may find himself on the other end of the interview process, and it won't be with a budget the size of Stanford's.

I love Barta, but I think we're all a little skeptical on his next hire. We should all be firmly in his camp since he axed Lickliter before it got worse. That took a lot of guts, which makes me think he has the best interest of the program at heart

I agree. Hindsight is easy. Very few people thought hiring the NCOY was a bad move at the time. I do recall a few people, and I give them credit, saying he'd need to engage an experienced BCS-level recruiter on his staff to succeed. A lot more expressed concern after his staff was announced. Clearly Barta let Todd pick his staff and trusted him to see what was required there. Not an unreasonable position - in hindsight a mistake. The rest is history.

Smart people make mistakes too, and Barta is smart enough to see what went wrong (and has plenty of people in his ear). I have zero doubt - zero - that Barta will be querying prospects closely now about their plans for assistants.

What fun is the internet if you don't get to hate on someone?

Going online and not spewing hate is like driving to the beach and not stepping in the sand.

It's not entirey Barta's fault for hiring Lickliter resulting in the further decline of the Iowa basketball program. Look at what Lickliter has done at Butler and where the Butler program is today? They are in the Elite Eight in the NCAA tournament.

I think there are a combination of factors that led to the further decline of the Iowa basketball program. I do not know what all of the factors are. But us Iowa fans need to bear some of the responsibility for not filling the arena and speading negative comments about Barta and Lickliter over the past several months as one of the factors.

It's easy to be critical of past decsions (20-20 hindsight). But hiring a former national coach of the year seemed like a very good hire at the time.

As long as Barta is our AD we need to be supportive of him and respect the amount of responsibility and accountability he has in his job function.

Thanks Mrs. Barta

Its not hate, it's the very passion that caused Lick to go. It's concern and lack of information.

Lets see, Gary said, money was not an issue, ticket and merchandise sales declining, enthusiasm dropping, and he saw next year no better than this one. So what names have been popping up, mid major guys that seem to have no personal tie in to Iowa, or real success to get energized about. Forbes is someone people seem to want, and all we hear about is Gregory, and even less, or in the case of Barbee, already hired.

Its not hate, it's the very passion that caused Lick to go. It's concern and lack of information.

Lets see, Gary said, money was not an issue, ticket and merchandise sales declining, enthusiasm dropping, and he saw next year no better than this one. So what names have been popping up, mid major guys that seem to have no personal tie in to Iowa, or real success to get energized about. Forbes is someone people seem to want, and all we hear about is Gregory, and even less, or in the case of Barbee, already hired.

So you either don't get my point on why big names have not been talked to, or you thinks it makes no sense. But if your response is to me then I would tell you to go back and read what I wrote about the big names....

No, my response is not to the reasonableness of your post, but to title of the topic. I gave my opinion on why there is concern. Your comments make sense and may prove to be accurate. However, if you want to know why there is concern, I gave you my thought. Did not mean to post direct to your comment or mean anything by it.

Loesshills: you missed my point; or rather you made it; I understand Steven's system is different than Lick's---my point was, I don't think Barta does.

Latest posts