Why so injury prone?

roetbombaaa

It seems like it's a pre-requisite at Iowa. Every year we have multiple injuries, especially at the RB position. To top it off, they always seem to be long term or season ending injuries. Even the Iowa guys playing in the NFL seem to always be plagued with injury. Im sure I'm just overreacting, but it gets a little sickening. Why can't our players just stay healthy!!! I understand every team, every year has to deal with this, but it really angerers me when kids like Hampton have to go their entire career injured.

Injuries happen to almost every team every year. Look at Houston, they lost their first and second string QB. Purdue, top RB and WR. Wisconsin, LB and two top WR's have been out.

I will agree though that it seems like there are so many more ACL injuries now than it seems like there used to be. I dont know if its due to more media and access to information but I also think its attributable to alot of the new playing surfaces.

I dont know, maybe there was.. I can see the playing surfaces being a good culprit for the ACL injuries and such, but I will NEVER question Doyle's work...

Doyle is one scary man in the weightroom. I wouldn't question his claim to be Jesus if he made it. :) I'm glad he's on our side..

It's totally random. The training methods for every team are pretty much the same...one split second of losing focus in a game or practice can get yourself injured. Being somewhere where youre not supposed to be can get you injured. Trying to do more than you are capable of can get you injured. Or having a defect in a physiology can get ppl injured. Everyone thinks their team is injury prone, it just so happens that our injuries happen to our higher profile players.

I remember Frentz discussing this very issue some years ago. He said that they had serious concerns about this and had taken a very long hard look at several issues to see if they could pin point something (those included SC with Doyle, field conditions, and several others whcih I don't recall) or if it was just bad luck. I don't recall if there was ever a conclusion but I always had the suspicion that Coach thought that field conditions might have played a roll (this is a WAG). Anybody have any info about the frequency of ACL injuries on natural grass vs artificial?

Before anyone says it, yes I know the surface Hampton was on when he tore his ACL (this year).

I think that was why they switched to natural grass a few years ago. I think they felt the artificial turf at that time was more apt to cause knee injuries. I don't know what the research shows on these new playing surfaces.

Last edited:
Happens to every team. We just realize it more when it happens to our own team. Iowa's RB luck has been poor though. ISU has had trouble keeping AROB healthy but (knock on wood) he hasn't had any serious injuries

I think that was why they switched to natural grass a few years ago. I think they felt the artificial turf at that time was more apt to cause knee injuries. I don't know what the research shows on these new playing surfaces.

Iowa doesn't play on natural grass, they switched from natural grass to field turf last year. They had natural grass since the middle 90's before the switch last year.

Iowa doesn't play on natural grass, they switched from natural grass to field turf last year. They had natural grass since the middle 90's before the switch last year.

Well aware of that. The switch in the 90s or whenever it occurred was because of studies that had shown that old field turf had a higher incidence of injuries compared to natural grass.

Well aware of that. The switch in the 90s or whenever it occurred was because of studies that had shown that old field turf had a higher incidence of injuries compared to natural grass.

Got it, I just read it wrong, I thought you meant Iowa switched to natural grass a couple of years ago.

I might have something to do with the offense that Iowa employs. The zone blocking scheme/zone stretch play tends to bring DL and LBs crashing down laterally. Its just a guess, for lack of a better idea.
We do seem to have more injuries to our RBs than most.

Saw something the other day that claimed that the Pistol (devised and employed by Nevada's head coach) is supposed to be easier on RBs due to their slightly deeper placement in the backfield. Apparently it gives the back one or two more steps in which they can make a cut vs immediate lateral movements which are hell on ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL, etc. Alabama has adopted it and had some measureable success with it in terms of yardage and lack of injuries (so far). As we all know, Indiana uses it too but they haven't really had much of a team until lately. Maybe something to think about.

Latest posts