Why shutdown the offense in 2nd half??

I dont think we had to score 42 points in the 2nd half but I also thought the playcalling was way too conservative.

One nice drive early in the 3rd Qtr where the hawks were still using the whole playbook, get a TD to extend the lead and then work on another score.

I think it was in the 3rd Qtr when Jake missed KMM in the gap between cornerback and safety and that could have been a huge play. It could have been housed or at least a needed first down. But that play was about the only decent pass play that seemed to be called in the 3rd qtr.

I just never feel safe with KF's teams unless they have a 3-4 score lead. The nature of this coaching staff is to go conservative. Heck even with a 24 point lead IU showed how quick it can be shaved to a 16 point lead a things get queasy.

Mich St shut it down last week and almost blew it. Mich st almost blew it yesterday.

What kind of offensive play calling can be safe for KF but still grind out first downs like we needed in the 3rd qt?

The answer to your question is quite simple really. KF does not like to hurt another coaches feelings by appearing to run the score up.

What he needs to understand is this. It's not about running the score up. It's about your own team working on things during a live game.

Maybe you stop throwing the ball deep midway through the 4th quarter when your up big. But you don't take your foot off the gas until the final few minutes. If the other coach and fans don't understand this, then go coach youth football where they give participation trophies.

Yesterdays 2nd half was as boring as the first half was exciting as far as Iowa's offense is concerned.

But after 16 years this is who KF is and nothing is going to change, so we either accept it or move on to another team.

It seems like Kirk knows that if we stay aggressive and make a few mistakes, there is a pretty good chance we end up in a dog fight.

When has this ever actually happened - when has an Iowa team ever stayed aggressive and thrown away a ballgame through turnovers when ahead by over 14 points? 2002 Iowa State is the only game I can remember. Sitting on the ball has lost more games than not. Stick with the play that got you there.

It is that exact philosophy that is the reason why Iowa consistently loses to inferior opponents. Letting everyone hang around until the end leaves more room for error than throwing a few passes does.

This is what I don't get about conservative Kurt. You are way more likely to lose a game that is within a score or 2 than you are if you are up big.

We lose to inferior opponents because we haven't been able to run the ball effectively. We lost like 11 games since 2006? as 10+ pt favorites. Wisconsin lost 1 game as 10 pt favorites in the same time period while running the ball 70%+ of the plays. Running the ball isn't conservative if you do it well.

Last edited:
When has this ever actually happened - when has an Iowa team ever stayed aggressive and thrown away a ballgame through turnovers when ahead by over 14 points? 2002 Iowa State is the only game I can remember. Sitting on the ball has lost more games than not. Stick with the play that got you there.

Large font above isn't even close to being true.

Latest posts