Why one more year?

ColumbusHawk

I do not get it. Why do many people think Lick deserves another year because of the incoming recruits?

Let's face it, they may be Lick's best recruits but it is not the sudden infusion of talent Iowa needs to be competitive in the Big Ten. Iowa will be picked to finish no better than ninth in the Big Ten next year. In fact, many prognosticators will have them last. Iowa still will be a bottom tier team next year.

How bad is Iowa under Lick? Well, he will have to go 11-7 in the league next year to have a better winning percentage than Dick Schultz. The worst four years of Iowa basketball in my lifetime.

Lick has dug a very big hole to fill. He will have to go 12-6 in each of the next four years to have a five hundred-conference record at the end of his seven-year contract.

Fire the man now!

I do not get it. Why do many people think Lick deserves another year because of the incoming recruits?

Let's face it, they may be Lick's best recruits but it is not the sudden infusion of talent Iowa needs to be competitive in the Big Ten. Iowa will be picked to finish no better than ninth in the Big Ten next year. In fact, many prognosticators will have them last. Iowa still will be a bottom tier team next year.

How bad is Iowa under Lick? Well, he will have to go 11-7 in the league next year to have a better winning percentage than Dick Schultz. The worst four years of Iowa basketball in my lifetime.

Lick has dug a very big hole to fill. He will have to go 12-6 in each of the next four years to have a five hundred-conference record at the end of his seven-year contract.

Fire the man now!

No argument here.
+1

Very simple- If any player transfers between now and next season then he doesn't. I will give him the Tucker transfer for various reasons. Any more than that and I'm pithed.

For me, he gets one more year. Have Barta lay down the 'this is the deal', agreeing to a certain goal for next season.

You want some STABILITY in this thing.

Churning thru another coach after only 3 seasons is bogus.

Very simple- If any player transfers between now and next season then he doesn't. I will give him the Tucker transfer for various reasons. Any more than that and I'm pithed.

I don't really get this either...what does losing one of our mediocre players really do to swing you one way or another? Is it just due to the terrible levels of player retention overall and you see it as a precursor of the future? Just like with Tucker the worst thing that would happen at this point is it would open up a scholarship to give someone else a shot...with the depths that the team has sunk to this year it is pretty much time for open tryouts anyway...

For me, he gets one more year. Have Barta lay down the 'this is the deal', agreeing to a certain goal for next season.

You are right.

the $4.2 million he has made since at Iowa is a small price to pay for the record breaking performances his leadership has brought to the Iowa basketball program.

To keep him for a fourth season would be bogus

STABILITY? Iowa basketball under Lick has been anything other than stable. I'd suggest if you're looking for stability, then Lick needs to go.

I do not think it is an easy call, as we Iowans pride ourselves on fairness...but on the other hand, we also pride ourselves on our bb program...and that has been demolished in 3 short years.
If we lose another key player,it will be a reminder of the revolving door we have had since he arrived. Ironically,if he is gone,then we might lose a guy or two also..but if we had the right guy, I think he could figure out who we need to stick and get it out the first season...then move forward with stability. I want to see Matt Gatens with a net on his head while he is at Iowa....after cutting it down.

I've finally come around - fire this guy. Did you see the actual attendance figures for the Big Ten games? It looked like we averaged about 6000 in an arena seating 15000. Ridiculous.

Also, I don't think any of the current players will transfer if a new coach is hired; why should they? Can we get worse than 10 wins and 22 losses (Michigan will spank us tomorrow).

The reason why a team fires a coach and hires a new one is to be better, not for fun.

If Barta lays down a goal it better well be NCAA or bust. Brought Lick in to be better than Alford, not worse. Improving slightly won't cut it for a 4th year coach. That's the best Lick would be able to do.

Cut ties. No hard feelings on anyones part. If he sticks around one more year, there will be an absolute OUTRAGE causing a heated part.

What does it say about Iowa to accept losing???? What new hire and recruit would want to come into a circumstance like that?

Until Lick is gone, Iowa accepts not making the NCAA Tourney. Simple decision if I'm an AD.

What does it say about Iowa to accept losing???? What new hire and recruit would want to come into a circumstance like that?

Until Lick is gone, Iowa accepts not making the NCAA Tourney. Simple decision if I'm an AD.

You're seeing the recruits that want to come into these circunstances, they are the ones that are happy with just being on the court and losing. The ones that want more stay for a year or two and move on. Bye bye Fuller.

Stability?

One of John Wooden's coaching axioms is "flexibility is the key to stability." It follows that since Lickliter is inflexible the program is unstable.

I think Deace said it best. You need to make a move this year so you can get a jump start on ISU. We have some amazing talent in Iowa right now(Jok, ect) who aren't going to consider Iowa with the state our program is in. If you make the move now, you can have a better chance at selling the program to these kids and get a head start on ISU(who will be making the move next season).

I think Deace said it best. You need to make a move this year so you can get a jump start on ISU. We have some amazing talent in Iowa right now(Jok, ect) who aren't going to consider Iowa with the state our program is in. If you make the move now, you can have a better chance at selling the program to these kids and get a head start on ISU(who will be making the move next season).

This is a good point, and how many top-notch recruits are going to want to come to Iowa thinking that Lickliter will most likely be gone in a year's time? They're going to want to know who they're playing for.

The rumor out of CR is that Paige is a Hawk fan but is not excited about playing slo-ball. That could change if we have the right guy at the helm,if we do not wait too long. Paige and Jok could be program changers..two possible top 25 Iowa natives who actually stay at home...what a concept. Nothing is guaranteed,but the Hawks need to be in the mix for these kinds of local players. Barnes is explainable,but it is not acceptable to not even make his final dozen schools. Staten could also be worth some effort as he evidently has decommitted from ISU...Randle is 70 miles away and another program-changing potential recruit....a coach does not need to be houdini...get Randle,Paige,Staten and Jok into Hawks unis and fill in the blanks with solid players from instate and the midwest ..you have a shot to dance in a few years again.

You are correct...

The rumor out of CR is that Paige is a Hawk fan but is not excited about playing slo-ball. That could change if we have the right guy at the helm,if we do not wait too long. Paige and Jok could be program changers..two possible top 25 Iowa natives who actually stay at home...what a concept. Nothing is guaranteed,but the Hawks need to be in the mix for these kinds of local players. Barnes is explainable,but it is not acceptable to not even make his final dozen schools. Staten could also be worth some effort as he evidently has decommitted from ISU...Randle is 70 miles away and another program-changing potential recruit....a coach does not need to be houdini...get Randle,Paige,Staten and Jok into Hawks unis and fill in the blanks with solid players from instate and the midwest ..you have a shot to dance in a few years again.

that Paige, Jok and Randle are the types of talents that could position Iowa well for a stretch of success. They are similar (if not better) in terms of rankings to the Horner-Brunner-Haluska triumvirate that Alford was able to parlay into two straight NCAA appearances. If you have the top-flight talents, then you can fill in with role/complementary players (think Hansen, Thomas, Henderson on that 2005-06 Iowa team).