Why not Marble at pg

BuiltLikeWilt

I remember having another long #2 guard getting pressed into point guard duty and doing pretty well!!(to bad he left) with a whole off season of training,knowing that he may have to help there from the get go. It shouldn't be that much of a drop off. The experience factor may come into play, but Cully was on trial-by -fire last year and did ok. And anybody we get wont have any big-ten time under his belt. we'll be about as good as we would be with anybody we pick up this time of year.(and with what is out there).

Last edited:
Jake always had pg skills. We do not know that about Marble. I hope he does,but no way of knowing that til we see him vs college competition.
I trust that Fran knows what to look for in a pg,and will make the best decision possible.

From the videos I've watched Marble doesn't have PG skills. If your talking about someone to bring the ball up the court after a made basket then pretty much anyone can do that. Being a PG is more than that, you have to be the organizer on O and D and know the strengths and weaknesses of your teammates in order to get them in positions to succeed. JK was a very smart player, maybe in time Marble could do this idk...but in the B10 he would get hammered. the TO's would flow out of hime like the gulf oil spill.

From the videos I've watched Marble doesn't have PG skills. If your talking about someone to bring the ball up the court after a made basket then pretty much anyone can do that. Being a PG is more than that, you have to be the organizer on O and D and know the strengths and weaknesses of your teammates in order to get them in positions to succeed. JK was a very smart player, maybe in time Marble could do this idk...but in the B10 he would get hammered. the TO's would flow out of hime like the gulf oil spill.

I do not think just 'anyone' can do this in the Big Ten or any D1 school. I also do not know what videos you have watched of Marble, but IMO he could fill in at the PG position at the minimum. Beyond filling in...time will tell.

Besides, if FM is going to use fast breaks, the point position does not come into play as much during a fast break. It is the rebounder, and maybe one or two players (Could be a PG, but might not be as well) that are flying to the basket.

I do not think just 'anyone' can do this in the Big Ten or any D1 school. I also do not know what videos you have watched of Marble, but IMO he could fill in at the PG position at the minimum. Beyond filling in...time will tell.

Besides, if FM is going to use fast breaks, the point position does not come into play as much during a fast break. It is the rebounder, and maybe one or two players (Could be a PG, but might not be as well) that are flying to the basket.

If Cully Payne and John Lickliter can bring the ball up the court then anyone can. I don't think I'd be wrong to say that Marble probably has better handles than both of those two combined.

I will predict that Marble will be a better player than Kelly.quicker ,just as good handles,(kellys wern't all that good) and more consistent , before his career is over .
Just my guess, kelly was really inconsistant his first year, and only showed flashes late in his second year.(I understand the Bulter system may have held him back) My point is we saw flashes of a good Kelly late but before pretty neutral player, the sorry thing is that he was one of the better from that era.

Alford thought Pierce was a point guard. He wasn't.

Alford thought he should have been drafted ahead of Reggie Miller by Indiana...He wasn't

GAME%2001-10-07%20ALFORD.jpg

Wasn't FM at one time quoted to say that Basabe (sp?) had the skills to play about any position he wanted? Pretty sure he had mentioned that...

McCaffrey said Basabe could play the point and the back on his press. He did not say he could play any position offensively.

McCaffrey said Basabe could play the point and the back on his press. He did not say he could play any position offensively.

Thanks for the clarification... I couldn't remember exactly the context of the comments.

I wasn't cutting on Jake, he was probably my favorite players but i think a lot of us were excited about what he might be able to do instead of what he did (a couple of great games) and he didn't set the world on fire before his injury last year. Marble will be fine! The one we don't talk about is McCabe hopefully hell be a pleasant surprise, like May who wasn't getting talked about to much this time last year either

Last edited:
marble just released a highlight tape onto facebook and youtube. i think he can distribute well on the break.

He has great speed from what I've seen, and a great shot. His handles seem to be pretty good too. It says that he's 6-5, in that case, he could play just about any spot but down low. I think he will end up better than Kelly when it's all said and done.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huANrCwpBdM]YouTube - Roy Marble Jr. (09-10)-SENIOR HS BbALL-Mix.[/ame] here it is!

I understand this is simply a highlight video, but good first step, ability to create his own shots, willingness to put his back to the basket and fade or away or turn to the hoop, decent outside shot....see him more of a 2 than PG, but could be quite servicable as a back-up PG

Nice link Hawkifan 74.

Definitely a 2 guard ,more in the mode of using him to spell Cully here and there.Mixed in with walk-ons,or if we get another body at the point,he'll add nice depth(something we haven't had in three or four years) I think it hurts less if we dont get another point guard knowing that he can fill in

Latest posts