Why not go after some JUCO's?

WindyCityHawkI

Kirk said that JUCO's don't really work as well here as in other places. Why not? I know they recruited and missed a few JUCO defenders last yr, but with all the attrition the program has faced, aren't some JUCO's, especially on the D Line exactly what this program needs to bridge the gap to the talented freshman and RSF we have on campus? K State, in exotic Manhattan, KS under Snyder has built their program around JUCO's. I don't necessarily think that is always the way to do it, but it makes a lot of sense with what is going on around Iowa City. It is going to be very frustrating if we see Derby running around as the next Klein at K state, too, especially when apparently we have the worst backup QB's in America if they aren't able to get ONE SNAP in blowouts. If Rudock doesn't come in when Michigan and Nebraska are destroying us the next 2 weeks it is a shame.

It's always been that way. Toosdee nigh is always been spagetti night. Me 'n my wife been coming up here to the lodge for 20 years on toosdee for spagetti night - it's always been that way - It sjust the way it's always been.

old-timer.gif

Just a guess here, but I imagine going after a juco thats been blowing it up in the juco ranks would be tough. For one thing how many juco programs run the pro set? 2nd thing is if they are blowing it up against lesser talent, that does not take away from their head and they are going to want to start right away. 3rd thing, my uncle always said it will cost you twice as much if he has to fix your mistakes. Sometimes it is easier to do it yourself. Now that is just with mechanical things, I cant imagine trying to unteach and then reteach. Look no futher then Tmart, yes he is better, but how long has he been working with college level qb coaches just to get the shot put SOMEWHAT corrected?

We don't need JUCO's. That is not Iowa football. Just ask:
CJ Jones
Brad Banks
Nathan Chandler
Marshall Yanda
Shonn Greene (sort of)

Just a guess here, but I imagine going after a juco thats been blowing it up in the juco ranks would be tough. For one thing how many juco programs run the pro set? 2nd thing is if they are blowing it up against lesser talent, that does not take away from their head and they are going to want to start right away. 3rd thing, my uncle always said it will cost you twice as much if he has to fix your mistakes. Sometimes it is easier to do it yourself. Now that is just with mechanical things, I cant imagine trying to unteach and then reteach. Look no futher then Tmart, yes he is better, but how long has he been working with college level qb coaches just to get the shot put SOMEWHAT corrected?
Monkeyboy Martinez went to a total of ONE qb camp, last summer. His motion is still ugly, but at least he's a playmaker. Sees the open man and gets it to him, even if it doesn't look the greatest. Yeah, he's thrown some interceptions too; but he's bailed his team out many times this year.

Last edited:
If you hven't paid attention Iowa is a school that develops talent,meaning we get a recruit, red shirt him, use him on the practice field amd maybe special teams until he is a junior and then they start for two years no matter what. If you have the idea that a JUCO kid could come in, compete and win a starting job at Iowa your F'n crazy. I mean other big schools go the JUCO route but not KF, weird ****. Unless your a kid that plays a position like QB or maybe DB then you basicly sit for up to 3 years. Look at Ruddock, recruited, red dhirted, hasn't seen the field, if he happes to be the QB next year it will have been years since he has taken a meaningful snap.

I really wanted kurts to fill some holes on the dline coming ino this year. I know that's not our thing, but we really needed some talent now, not talent we could grow in three years. Big mistake this year IMO. I really dont know how the juco process works in relation to scholarships, but if possible i would have gone for 2-3 dlineman that could step in this year. I think this change alone could have accounted for some wins

I really wanted kurts to fill some holes on the dline coming ino this year. I know that's not our thing, but we really needed some talent now, not talent we could grow in three years. Big mistake this year IMO. I really dont know how the juco process works in relation to scholarships, but if possible i would have gone for 2-3 dlineman that could step in this year. I think this change alone could have accounted for some wins

Besides Dlinemen how about two fast, shifty receivers who could have come in last spring after 2 juco years and caught the ball and got yards after the catch. K DAvis is good, KMM is good, but we need some speed.

If we want to go 5 wideouts we need some speed at WR to run the slants, bubbles, and especially the double moves deep to get the other teams dbacks off the short stuff.

Kcom Kirk go get some jucos

knowing this dumb offense we have implemented i would agree with that, but i'd start with dline first. a couple dlineman could have made a big difference for this team, would not have fixed everything, but a good start

and i dont like jucos as a regular practice, and i didnt want to go away from a lot of the things we do in our program, but i want to look at things like this on a yearly basis and on a game by game basis to make changes we need to make. this is where I think KF can be a better coach

Sokol and Dawson were JUCO's last year, both at position that are needed. both are RS'ing this fall.
there is a 4* WR by the Name of Smith at a JUCO in Miss that Iowa is recruiting
there was a JUCO DE that Iowa offered that just committed to Neb. last year there was a JUCO DT in Arizona Iowa offered that went to ASU, these statements about Iowa not going after JUCO's is so far off it stinks,
just because they don't land 10-12 Like KSU does.. does not mean they don't recruit JUCO's.
offering and getting them are too vastly different things
and looking at the DL 2 deeps these are the players playing
DE FR Ott
DE RSFR Spears
DT RSFR Cooper/ RSSO Davis
DT RSSO LTP
that is a lot of young players to expect to being playing like a 5th year senior

if that's the case, fine, i can live with that. if they tried to get and offered, if we can't get them we can't get them. KF did make some comments relative to that so maybe he did try to fill the holes

Latest posts