Why is there no championship game in the Big Four Classic?

A better question is, "why play this tournament in the first place?"

As stated above, it's not a tournament... It's simply two neutral court games being plated at the same venue. I like it the way it is as it works out better for both Iowa and ISU as they get more gate revenue than if it was at UNI or Drake every other year. Plus we still get our home and home for iowa / iowa state. The only thing that would be better is if later in the year, they went back to wells fargo and played the opposite (i.e. iowa would play UNI now and then go back and play Drake later -> both games being neutral court games at wells fargo). Since we already get iowa vs isu, this would solve the whole "State championship" (although I doubt we need it most years as the winner of the iowa / iowa state game should be that champion)

There was one? You guys hosted it remember? Unfortunately it was a massacre.. Honestly proposing there be a second matchup is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Should we also start scheduling the Iowa vs Iowa state football game twice a year too? That way if someone gets their feelings hurt they can have a shot at redemption. Lol

I disagree with the idea of a championship game, but it's one of the dumbest things you've ever heard? Come on. I read both posts and yours was a lot dumber. But I'm sure you think it's stupid that you play everyone in your conference twice, since you don't play them twice in football.

Gate revenue is an excuse. It's not a reason. A loss of one home game isn't going to make-or-break iowa or isu.

The reason is the lean years when iowa and isu were getting beat by uni and drake and not getting paid for doing it

.Playing only one of the little brothers on a nuetral floor reduces upset possibilities, still helps RPI, and gets some of the pay.

Gate revenue is an excuse. It's not a reason. A loss of one home game isn't going to make-or-break iowa or isu.

The reason is the lean years when iowa and isu were getting beat by uni and drake and not getting paid for doing it

.Playing only one of the little brothers on a nuetral floor reduces upset possibilities, still helps RPI, and gets some of the pay.

Bingo!

Can you guys imagine playing ISU twice in a weeks time and getting smoked in both of them? It's going to be bad enough if UNI destroys Iowa, which could happen unless they show some major improvement from last Friday. Hopefully Iowa doesn't go down by 29.

Last edited:
I disagree with the idea of a championship game, but it's one of the dumbest things you've ever heard? Come on. I read both posts and yours was a lot dumber. But I'm sure you think it's stupid that you play everyone in your conference twice, since you don't play them twice in football.

Lol find me a team that plays a non conference opponent twice in the same season

Anyone who thinks Iowa under Fran McCaffery would ever make it to the championship of anything is delusional.