Why is there no championship game in the Big Four Classic?

HaydenHawk56

For example, why does not the winner of he Iowa/UNI game play the winner of the ISU/Drake game? Just curious....I don't remember reading about why there is not a championship game.

It would be nice (assuming we would beat UNI) to get another shot at ISU.

IIRC The Big 4 classic was developed because Iowa and ISU wasnt getting the gate money playing every other year at Drake and UNI, plus I believe Barta and Fran got pizzed by the homer UNI refs.

Anyway, this is a way to play in des moines for all fans and it becomes what once was Iowa or Iowa St playing UNI or Drake.

Because the Big Boys wouldn't want to see a Drake-UNI championship matchup ever happen. Which, while rare but remember 2008?, would embarrass both major programs.

You want another shot at ISU? When they have their 2nd highest scorer back in the rotation? No thanks, one debacle was enough for me...

Of course I would take another shot at them. That is what competition is all about. Of course, our guys would have to bring it though. If I was them.....I would want to redeem myself.

Of course I would take another shot at them. That is what competition is all about. Of course, our guys would have to bring it though. If I was them.....I would want to redeem myself.
The Hawkeyes showed me nothing Friday night that would lead me to believe they are eager to seek redemption. They got bent over in a huge way at home. Niang even provided the kiss. Embarrassing.

Adding a championship game that would pit Iowa and ISU against each other for the second time in 8 days more often than not is a waste of time and there's no way we're ever going to have one. The only reason we have this set up in the first place is so that we get a cut of the gate every year and it puts all four teams in a central location so fans who might otherwise be unable to make it to Ames, Cedar Falls or Iowa City can get out and see them.

It's perfectly fine just how it is, and I certainly don't want to watch us get bent over a barrel by ISU again. We got embarrassed on our own floor by a team that was without its second leading scorer and another guy who could make them substantially better than they were on Friday. Meanwhile, Iowa still can't hit the broad side of a barn from the outside (and that ain't gonna change).

I'm sure the players would like another shot; they're competitors, I'm sure they would like another shot at any team that beats them. That's irrelevant.

The Hawkeyes showed me nothing Friday night that would lead me to believe they are eager to seek redemption. They got bent over in a huge way at home. Niang even provided the kiss. Embarrassing.

Agreed, my point is if I were them (which I am not) I would want another shot. I would still be for seeing this Big Four Classic be more tournament style in the future.

Because Iowa and ISU are scheduled to play every year. There's no reason to have them play again a week later and there's no way they will take a chance of eliminating the head to head and taking the chance/assumption that they would play each other in the big 4 classic.

Iowa vs Iowa St aint happening twice in a week. But to say Iowa couldnt beat ISU in a rematch is stupid if you know anything about bball. ISU shoots 7% worse and Iowa shoots 10% better and it could easily be an Iowa win.

You shoot better there are less defensive rebounds for ISU and less fouls by Iowa on the offensive glass. It is all a bunch of metrics which is why the hawks just need to shoot better to make the equation work out.

Because Iowa and ISU are scheduled to play every year. There's no reason to have them play again a week later and there's no way they will take a chance of eliminating the head to head and taking the chance/assumption that they would play each other in the big 4 classic.

I think this has to be one of the main reasons, don't want ISU/Iowa playing twice in a week (a split would really take away from the fun of the rivalry IMO), but don't want to risk them not meeting in the championship game. I did like it better last year when the Big 4 was the weekend before CyHawk, would be nice if they could do it that way every year. Make the Big 4 like the semifinals, and assuming ISU and Iowa won most years, the next weekend's CyHawk would be the de-facto state championship. Also the Big 4 seemed to have a little more "buzz" knowing the CyHawk was still coming up the next weekend... this weekend feels like a consolation game for both teams.

Also, I could be wrong on this, but isn't there some kind of limit to preseason tournaments? So if the Big 4 was actually a tournament, would it prevent Iowa and ISU from playing in other preseason tourneys?

Adding a championship game that would pit Iowa and ISU against each other for the second time in 8 days more often than not is a waste of time and there's no way we're ever going to have one. The only reason we have this set up in the first place is so that we get a cut of the gate every year and it puts all four teams in a central location so fans who might otherwise be unable to make it to Ames, Cedar Falls or Iowa City can get out and see them.

It's perfectly fine just how it is, and I certainly don't want to watch us get bent over a barrel by ISU again. We got embarrassed on our own floor by a team that was without its second leading scorer and another guy who could make them substantially better than they were on Friday. Meanwhile, Iowa still can't hit the broad side of a barn from the outside (and that ain't gonna change).

I'm sure the players would like another shot; they're competitors, I'm sure they would like another shot at any team that beats them. That's irrelevant.

I seem to remember Iowa playing Missouri a few years back with the Alford. Although maybe not 8 days spaced between, I don't seem to think people minded those two teams playing each other twice in the non-conference.

It seems to me, you could bring even greater attraction to this event making it into a tournament style event. You have all of the teams there....spice it up. I don't think it is ever a waste of time playing a legit top 15 opponent no matter how shooting challenged our team may be.

I think this has to be one of the main reasons, don't want ISU/Iowa playing twice in a week (a split would really take away from the fun of the rivalry IMO), but don't want to risk them not meeting in the championship game. I did like it better last year when the Big 4 was the weekend before CyHawk, would be nice if they could do it that way every year. Make the Big 4 like the semifinals, and assuming ISU and Iowa won most years, the next weekend's CyHawk would be the de-facto state championship. Also the Big 4 seemed to have a little more "buzz" knowing the CyHawk was still coming up the next weekend... this weekend feels like a consolation game for both teams.

Also, I could be wrong on this, but isn't there some kind of limit to preseason tournaments? So if the Big 4 was actually a tournament, would it prevent Iowa and ISU from playing in other preseason tourneys?

That would stink if there was a limit to how many tournaments you could be in. In that case, it would make this a difficult situation.

However, if that was not the case and people do not like seeing Iowa play ISU twice early in the schedule, Iowa and ISU could always play a non-conference game sometime in the middle of the Big Ten schedule. Both teams could be more battle tested by then and make for a better game. Then again, that could also lead to scheduling problems and might not work.

In any event, I guess we will have to settle for 4 teams, 2 games, one night.

For example, why does not the winner of he Iowa/UNI game play the winner of the ISU/Drake game? Just curious....I don't remember reading about why there is not a championship game.

It would be nice (assuming we would beat UNI) to get another shot at ISU.

There was one? You guys hosted it remember? Unfortunately it was a massacre.. Honestly proposing there be a second matchup is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Should we also start scheduling the Iowa vs Iowa state football game twice a year too? That way if someone gets their feelings hurt they can have a shot at redemption. Lol

There was one? You guys hosted it remember? Unfortunately it was a massacre.. Honestly proposing there be a second matchup is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Should we also start scheduling the Iowa vs Iowa state football game twice a year too? That way if someone gets their feelings hurt they can have a shot at redemption. Lol

Don't you have your own board to go to clown? We are talking about the Big Four Classic, not the game that just happened at Carver. What....are you afraid Iowa might rain on your parade if they played again?

Basketball is apples to oranges as teams can and do play each other more than twice in a season. Can happen in football....but rarely. And we are not talking football are we.....

Latest posts