Why is the B10 waiting?

HawkeyesWin

The B10 was in the best position it could ever hope for. They waited to act, and now another conference appears to have scooped them. The longer the B10 waits the more time it gives other conferences to act preemptively. Let's get on with it!!!!!

Get MO, NE, RUT, SYR and ND or Pitt. Please, please, please don't wait around for ND. Act!!!!

The B10s steady, slow process looks like indecisiveness now.

It is a game of brinksmanship,with the Pac Ten trying to force the Big Ten's hand a bit here. It could work,with Neb. and Mo. out dangling right now. No one wants to be left without a good option when the music stops. But, on the bright side, I also think that this Big 12 chaos could force ND's hand a bit here also. If Pac Ten goes large,with 16, that almost forces the Big Ten and in turn the SEC and ACC to go large. That leaves the Big East out in the cold along with the old Big 12(ISU..boo hoo). An actual 4-5 superconference setup potentially could hurt ND in terms of non-football sports,and possibly in scheduling,and in a playoff scenario. ACC,SEC,Big Ten and PAc Ten champs as the four auto semi-finalists in their own tourny? Leaves ND out in the cold. Pressure mounting all over the college world,including on the Big Ten.

I dont believe the Big Ten has to do anything in a hurry. They know they can get Nebraska and Mizzou, and Rutgers. Probably Pitt and Cuse too. They already have their own network and dont have to do anything actually

The Big 10 wants Texas but the Texas legislature is trying to force a conference to take Texas, A&M, and Tech and the big 10 will not take Tech because Tech is an inferior school.

It is hard for me to believe that Stanford and Cal would vote in Tech and Okie St when they wouldn't vote in Texas years ago.

Keep this in mind, the Big Ten schools have the most to potentially lose. They need to be completely sure that any expansion teams will bring more money than they take. The Pac Ten is in a new situation they only have to gain.

Also, with respect to Cal and Stanford's resistence, the Pac Ten has three schos that ate not AAU members already and the economic crisis California has changed the climate. While I didn't think they would even let in OU, they just need the money right now.

And, oh yeah I am a Cal Alum. Believe me the boosters are in board and the academics now see it as away to keep athletics out of the general fund.

Another conference has scooped them? Even if the reports are true, the 6 teams going to the Pac 10 arent even teams the Big Ten wanted

Relax, the Big Ten is still holding the majority of the cards

Another conference has scooped them? Even if the reports are true, the 6 teams going to the Pac 10 arent even teams the Big Ten wanted

+1.

We are witnessing a big-time game of Texas Hold Em, where the main players largely have not shown their hands and are now trying to get the other players to call their bluff.

Should be an interesting weekend.

Even if the Big Ten added one school, it's fine. It's already raking. And while population demographic changes are happening in the nation, Illinois is still going to have Chicago. Ohio and Pennsylvania are still going to be among the most populous states, and the passion that Big Ten fans have for their teams is not going to wane. I'd be fine if they did nothing...more importantly, they'd be just fine too

No school (except Texas or ND) with a shot to get into the Big Ten is going to join another conference until they know the Big Ten isn't an option. The money is too good to ignore.

This is interesting. This is like a big game of RISK, college f-ball style. The battle for TV markets.

The Big 10 still holds the upper hand in that there is so much $$ at stake compared to what the other conferences can currently generate. The other conference is currently in scrambling mode because they realize the Big12 is going to implode. I don't blame them, they have to be proactive on this.

Except... Texas which is mentioned in one of those six and just happens to be the ultimate prize financially.

Except... Texas which is mentioned in one of those six and just happens to be the ultimate prize financially.

Thats true but if the Big Ten wants Texas (and if Texas wants the Big Ten) it will happen. The idea that they are going to lose out on Texas because they arent acting fast enough is laughable. There is lots of stuff going on behind the scenes.

This is interesting. This is like a big game of RISK, college f-ball style. The battle for TV markets.

The Big 10 still holds the upper hand in that there is so much $$ at stake compared to what the other conferences can currently generate. The other conference is currently in scrambling mode because they realize the Big12 is going to implode. I don't blame them, they have to be proactive on this.

When did Big Ten fans turn into SEC fans? The BTN was a good idea, it has made a lot of money. The league talked about expanding within a reasonable footprint to make more money.

The SEC only has one top 30 TV market outside of Florida. They cannot start a lucrative TV network, but they have their own in a sense in ESPN, which is going to stick with the SEC and pay them lots of money as the other conferences start their own networks. The ACC actually has a reasonable population base and that base is growing. Remember that Sun Belt reference made by the Big Ten? Well, that is where a good number of ACC schools currently reside.

That leaves the Big Twelve and the Pac Ten. They are not great by themselves, but are tremendous if you put the best pieces of the Big 12 with the Pac Ten. Their potential TV markets by far will dominate the other leagues and will only get bigger as the population shifts to the south and the west.

What is really ridiculous is that people keep talking about the Big Ten's current money. We are not talking about today's money, we are talking about tomorrow's money. The Pac Ten and Big Teams from Big Ten merger will easily be able to keep pace with the Big Ten's money.

Get over yourselves. The Big Ten will be fine if they stick to expanding their region reasonably. They will get into the population centers of the North East and that will be it.

Also, as someone else said, The Big Ten really only wanted Texas. And as I said when the story of the Big Ten wanting Texas first came out, Texas was not going to join a northern only league. That just makes no sense from a travel, competition, and recruiting standpoint. Texas likes to play as many games close to home as they can. I dismissed that rumor the second I heard it and gave all the reasons why on this board.

Last edited:
When did Big Ten fans turn into SEC fans? The BTN was a good idea, it has made a lot of money. The league talked about expanding within a reasonable footprint to make more money.

The SEC only has one top 30 TV market outside of Florida. They cannot start a lucrative TV network, but they have their own in a sense in ESPN, which is going to stick with the SEC and pay them lots of money as the other conferences start their own networks. The ACC actually has a reasonable population base and that base is growing. Remember that Sun Belt reference made by the Big Ten? Well, that is where a good number of ACC schools currently reside.

That leaves the Big Twelve and the Pac Ten. They are not great by themselves, but are tremendous if you put the best pieces of the Big 12 with the Pac Ten. Their potential TV markets by far will dominate the other leagues and will only get bigger as the population shifts to the south and the west.

What is really ridiculous is that people keep talking about the Big Ten's current money. We are not talking about today's money, we are talking about tomorrow's money. The Pac Ten and Big Teams from Big Ten merger will easily be able to keep pace with the Big Ten's money.

Get over yourselves. The Big Ten will be fine if they stick to expanding their region reasonably. They will get into the population centers of the North East and that will be it.

Also, as someone else said, The Big Ten really only wanted Texas. And as I said when the story of the Big Ten wanting Texas first came out, Texas was not going to join a northern only league. That just makes no sense from a travel, competition, and recruiting standpoint. Texas likes to play as many games close to home as they can. I dismissed that rumor the second I heard it and gave all the reasons why on this board.

I don't understand what got your panties in a bind. :confused:

Latest posts