Why is JO Starting Over May?!

Josh O stats 42-147 from the floor 33-127 for three. Josh also has the 4th most shots on the team. When you have a guy that is shooting .268 and .260 and taking that many shoots you are not going to win games period. So the people out there that think he is not hurting us are wrong the stats dont lie.
If you shoot 33% from 3 it's the equivalent of shooting 50% from 2...if he makes 20 in a row, we're not having this argument...

:D

If you start Clemmons and Marble then 8 minutes into the game and they both need breathers who do you have play the point? I think people make to much out of who starts this isn't football backups play almost as much the starters. May's played 27 and 30 minutes since Gessel injury those are starter minutes. I like May coming in with the 2's and not having to defer to Marble and White. With Ogelsby playing with them the defense will focus on those two and should create some 3 point looks for O.

This is why. It's to stagger their time out there. Oglesby hasn't been bad at the D end at all. May is really good coming off the bench obviously and Sapp is flashing alittle more here and there. If Sapp could play heavy heavy mins (he hasn't shown he can do that just yet) It would make sense to start him now. I just wish he was more of a threat at the O end. This team lacks scorers. If White and or Marble are off this team struggles.

Jake Christensen "killed it in practice."

Yunno, in warm-ups to the Northern Illinois game, I was watching JC and he was by far the worst in all of the drills. It was radically evident. He was off target on his quick throws and was stiff and covered no ground in his drop-back drills. So, I really don't think there is any way he killed it in practice.

Just think the other options were McNutt, Nelson, and a not yet ready Stanzi. The first two were never going to be B10 QBs, so...

This year, I expect things to be different as Sokol, and Beathard are much better options than either McNutt or Nelson were.

Now back to basketball. As I said in another thread, Iowa just doesn't have a B10 worthy two beyond Marble. It sucks, but it's true. Now, they could go Tony Allen and just send May out there to take the other team's shooter out of the game, but the problem is then you bring Josh in with the two's and that leaves Clemmons and Josh as the backcourt. Nobody wants to see that for long.

Basically, May and Marble is the best backcourt right now. You want them playing together as much as possible. However, you would sacrifice that not to end up with Josh and Clemmons out there together for too long.

Some of your memories are so short. Remember the last few years when May was starting, and he sucked epicly bad? He thrives coming off the bench. He's more comfortable with it.

I now feel a lot better about the football program and coaching. Because the fact that Fran can do no right either shows that no matter what, you just can't win in the eyes of some Hawkeye fans.

Some of your memories are so short. Remember the last few years when May was starting, and he sucked epicly bad? He thrives coming off the bench. He's more comfortable with it.

I now feel a lot better about the football program and coaching. Because the fact that Fran can do no right either shows that no matter what, you just can't win in the eyes of some Hawkeye fans.

May was fighting injuries the last two years. You owe Eric May an apology for calling him 'epicly bad'.

This topic was disccused throughly in the game thread last night. JO shoots 80% from behind the arc in practice its documented folks stats don't lie. Therefore Fran must start JO even though he is shooting 24% from the field in Big 10 play, doesn't rebound, and is a liabilty on D. Fran knows at some point this year he will pop off and drop 40 on some punk BIG 10 team. Its not matter of if but when. This is why he starts over May simple logic.

That's got nothing to do with his ability to start. He was hurt and feeling serious pressure to score because we had no weapons. He knows that's not the case anymore, and now he just plays. I don't think that will change if he starts the last few games.

That's got nothing to do with his ability to start. He was hurt and feeling serious pressure to score because we had no weapons. He knows that's not the case anymore, and now he just plays. I don't think that will change if he starts the last few games.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. That isn't meant as a slight to May. He's one of my favorite Hawkeyes because of how hard he plays, and his effort on the court all the time. I realize he was hurt, and maybe I should have used another term than sucked.

With that being said, he obviously doesn't care if he starts. And what does starting gain the team? One less spark off the bench? He playing big minutes now. It's obvious that starting isn't held in the same regard to the team as it is to the fans.

One of life's greatest mysteries right now. No clue why Fran continues to be infatuated with JO. May is a senior and the way he has played he deserves to start. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Because he went back to Hawkeye Nation and read your posts from last year, he is listening to you, albeit a year later.

This topic was disccused throughly in the game thread last night. JO shoots 80% from behind the arc in practice its documented folks stats don't lie. Therefore Fran must start JO even though he is shooting 24% from the field in Big 10 play, doesn't rebound, and is a liabilty on D. Fran knows at some point this year he will pop off and drop 40 on some punk BIG 10 team. Its not matter of if but when. This is why he starts over May simple logic.
If he shoots 80% during practice that is great. But his form (mainly his stance) being horrible for moving and shooting makes me think he only practices set shots. Unless you are moving left to right when you have your shooting foot 6-9" in front will hurt your % considerably. Until he can actually shoot a squared up to the rim I don't think his % on the move will ever improve.

If he shoots 80% during practice that is great. But his form (mainly his stance) being horrible for moving and shooting makes me think he only practices set shots. Unless you are moving left to right when you have your shooting foot 6-9" in front will hurt your % considerably. Until he can actually shoot a squared up to the rim I don't think his % on the move will ever improve.

His stance? Lol he's a D1 basketball player. He can stand however the hell he wants. Obviously "his stance" has worked his whole like if he plays D1 basketball. The coaches should have never tried to change his shot. It was just fine the way it was last year.

His stance? Lol he's a D1 basketball player. He can stand however the hell he wants. Obviously "his stance" has worked his whole like if he plays D1 basketball. The coaches should have never tried to change his shot. It was just fine the way it was last year.
Wow Theehawkeye that only likes josh oglesby. His stace and everything about his shoot has not worked for him this year and only a few games last year. Your boyfriend is not good. Get over him!