Why is everyone dismissing Erb for OC?

I'll bet anything those who prefer Campbell do so because of his year round tan.

I prefer Campbell because...

1). He was an associate head coach at Michigan at a relatively young age

2). He made the second most on the staff after O'Keefe last year, which likely reflects what both Kirk and others outside the program think of him

3). DJK and McNutt

Most people are dismissing it because, right, wrong or indifferent, every position Lester has coached has seen the greatest number of defections. Not saying they're all on him, but when you have as many years of "data" as he has, the numbers tend not to lie.

i don't think lester has coached the dl or lb crew....but i'm open to being wrong...

I prefer Campbell because...

1). He was an associate head coach at Michigan at a relatively young age

2). He made the second most on the staff after O'Keefe last year, which likely reflects what both Kirk and others outside the program think of him

3). DJK and McNutt

associate head coach is meaningless. mccarney was associate head coach of the gators under Meyer. how much associate head coachin' do you think mac did? it's just a way to increase a position coach's pay.

i don't think lester has coached the dl or lb crew....but i'm open to being wrong...

You're obviously not wrong about the positions he's coached and I don't have every year in front of me, but I think pretty much every year he's been here, his position has lost more players than any other position on the team. There could be an odd year here or there, but certainly more years than not, his position has seen the most attrition.

associate head coach is meaningless. mccarney was associate head coach of the gators under Meyer. how much associate head coachin' do you think mac did? it's just a way to increase a position coach's pay.

Right, but why do you increase a position coach's pay? Because you think he's good and you want to keep him on your staff.

Don't you think Mac was a pretty high profile position coach who was highly valued by Meyer?

There are a lot of highlights among the positions he has coached.

WR Coach:
- The Catch
- Andy Brodell's monster game against Aaron Ross in the Alamo Bowl
- The list of Receivers includes Hinkel, Solomon, Mo Brown, Ochoa, CJ Jones, Kasper, pre-arrest DJK, Dougie Fresh (pre-departure), Townsend (pre-departure), Cleveland (pre-departure), Kahlil Hill, Sandeman for awhile.

Special Teams Coach:
- Special teams standouts included Kaeding and Donahue - two great ones
- The DJK KO return in C-bus and the CJ Jones return in the Orange Bowl

RB Coach:
- Doak Walker winner Shonn Greene
- Coker had an Insight Bowl rushing record
- Has gotten hit with a slew of injuries and defections yet always has had a decent RB in the mix

Recruiting:
- Top 25 recruiter per Rivals; has landed a lot of big names out of Illinois

I know he isn't the "splash" hire you guys want, but given his loyalty to Kurt over the years and the proven performers he has put on the field for over a decade, I would like to see him get the promotion to OC.
I had a twitter convo about this with Morehouse. He believes it's either going to be Campbel or Erb, and I must say, I agree. Erb has been almost nonexistent in the convo for getting the position. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Whoever Kirt picks deserves our full support. The decision won't be rushed and every candidate thoroughly weighed. I hope it's Erb, if not, I hope it's Soop.

Now please compile the player attrition under every position group Erb has coached and if you extrapolate said attrition to the offense as a whole based on Erb being the OC you might not have a team left.

Among senior wide receivers who are in the top 5 of at least 1 material receiving category in the Iowa record books, 50% of them have been arrested for cocaine possession under Soup's leadership. That's a horrible statistic. Horrible.

Stop blaming Erb for crap like City Boyz, Inc. and the horrific luck at tailback (that predates Erb).

Right, but why do you increase a position coach's pay? Because you think he's good and you want to keep him on your staff.

Don't you think Mac was a pretty high profile position coach who was highly valued by Meyer?

doesn't say anything about his ability to coach another position.

maybe they wanted to retain him for recruiting, etc, etc.

I just don't appreciate anyone attacking our program. Kirt knows what he's doing. He's brought this program from the bottom of college football to numerous Outback Championships, 2 Big ten championships, Insight bowl champs, top ten rankings, and on and on. You can't get the talent here like the Ohio St's and the other super programs. We're in the middle of a huge cornfield. It can't be done like that here. We take guys that no one else wants and churn out NFL talent and 7 and 8 win seasons. That's success. If you don't like it, then get out! USA!

And participation trophies for everyone....this ain't intramurals brother. Deal with it. If you can't take the criticism don't read the board.

and BTW you can churn out all the NFL talent you want but if doesn't translate into wins does it matter?

And participation trophies for everyone....this ain't intramurals brother. Deal with it. If you can't take the criticism don't read the board.

and BTW you can churn out all the NFL talent you want but if doesn't translate into wins does it matter?

it has translated into wins. name a team that wins without nfl talent...

Probably. That's how Barry Obama got his job.

"Hey everybody! See how racist I'm not being? I voted for the black guy!"

implied-facepalm-implied-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1259858393.jpg

Using the logic of some posters here, if Erb were named OC we would see half of the players on the offensive depth chart transfer.

Most people are dismissing it because, right, wrong or indifferent, every position Lester has coached has seen the greatest number of defections. Not saying they're all on him, but when you have as many years of "data" as he has, the numbers tend not to lie.

Now please compile the player attrition under every position group Erb has coached and if you extrapolate said attrition to the offense as a whole based on Erb being the OC you might not have a team left.

Boy, that sure didnt take long.

Erb is easily one of the top assistants on the staff. His ability to continue to dominate recruiting in Chicago will be key to the teams future success.

OMG... this would be an epic fail. Great recruiter but as a coach I am not sold. Our ST play has been horrendous since he took on the duties. Might as well hire Ron Zook for OC.

I'll bet anything those who prefer Campbell do so because of his year round tan.
I prefer Campbell because...1). He was an associate head coach at Michigan at a relatively young age2). He made the second most on the staff after O'Keefe last year, which likely reflects what both Kirk and others outside the program think of him3). DJK and McNutt
I think #3 is all you had to say.