Why I think we are on the verge of superconferences

super conferences will ruin college football.

AMEN!

I don't think people promoting this are thinking about the negative consequences. Why not just one super conference? How about a conference of:

Oklahoma, Texas, Southern California, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Florida, Florida State, Alabama, Louisiana State, and Notre Dame. Isn't this a super conference of the elites? The only bond between these 12 is $$$$$$$$.

Now onto the reality of it.....The coaches don't want it, the AD's don't want it, the conference commissioners don't want it....Only the fans do....so we all know what that means, no playoff in this current system.

But it's not because of the system that there isn't a playoff. If they wanted one, there would be one. There COULD be one with the superior, more-traditional setup we have currently. They could just as easily go to 16-team stupidconferences and NOT have a playoff. As I mentioned earlier, Deace suggests that 16-team conferences could be a way of *preventing* a playoff.

But it's not because of the system that there isn't a playoff. If they wanted one, there would be one. There COULD be one with the superior, more-traditional setup we have currently. They could just as easily go to 16-team stupidconferences and NOT have a playoff. As I mentioned earlier, Deace suggests that 16-team conferences could be a way of *preventing* a playoff.

But, but, but, what about tradition.....Seriously you argue about keeping the traditions of college football, but then argue for STARTING something college football has never done.....playoffs....

I would actually be fine keeping things as they are, or getting rid of the f*cking BSC, and going back to the Rose bowl is always BIG vs PAC-12, etc....I seem to realize what you don't.....college football is AWESOME, even it if is in a Big 10 with 12 teams, or if it goes to super conferences, or if it goes to playoffs, or if it went back to the old traditions of big 10 vs pac-12, or if it stays with the current BCS.....:cool:

What the anti-super conference folks have to understand is standing pat @ 12 when other conferences are going to 16 could destablize our own conference. The B1G is continually stable because it is a leader on the college landscape.

The B1G has a vested interest to stay in a position of leadership. If the college football landscape goes to super-conferences we have to be one of them.

It's hard to maintain clout when the conference is suddenly viewed as inferior. That's what is happening to the Big12 at the moment -> losing quality teams means losing credibility even if they add BYU and stay at 10. How long will it be until pundits downgrade an undefeated or 1 loss Texas or Oklahoma team because their conference strength is perceived as inferior [only a two team conference]?

But, but, but, what about tradition.....Seriously you argue about keeping the traditions of college football, but then argue for STARTING something college football has never done.....playoffs....

No. I don't want playoffs. I'm not arguing for STARTING them. I'm saying that there's no reason they can't have them (which would suck because playoffs would suck -- I don't want them) under the current setup. Swing and a miss. But, but, but!

What the anti-super conference folks have to understand is standing pat @ 12 when other conferences are going to 16 could destablize our own conference.

How? As long as you're just making crap up, you could also say that saying at 12 while other teams go to 16 could make the Big Ten stronger.

What the anti-super conference folks have to understand is standing pat @ 12 when other conferences are going to 16 could destablize our own conference. The B1G is continually stable because it is a leader on the college landscape.

The B1G has a vested interest to stay in a position of leadership. If the college football landscape goes to super-conferences we have to be one of them.

It's hard to maintain clout when the conference is suddenly viewed as inferior. That's what is happening to the Big12 at the moment -> losing quality teams means losing credibility even if they add BYU and stay at 10. How long will it be until pundits downgrade an undefeated or 1 loss Texas or Oklahoma team because their conference strength is perceived as inferior [only a two team conference]?

Eff this, two times til Tuesday. The Big Ten does not need to bulk up with the Jones's to maintain our clout. We don't have to bloat ourself with Missouris and Marylands to be watched by millions of people. We are watched by millions right now.

Noone views the Big 12 as inferior, the problem for the Big 12 is that their members view the Big 12 as either unfair or unstable.

The best thing that the Big Ten could do during "super"conference mania is to abstain. You want more Iowa-Purdue crossovers? Well, cheer on the history and geography-spiting superconferences then, and we can look forward to spine-tingling matchups between Iowa and Maryland, Rutgers and Duke - oh my!

The Big Ten, as presently constituted, is a badass mfin league. Let's keep it that way, by doing nothing. When we are cackling from the sidelines in 15 years as the other mismatched "super"conferences implode I will refrain from saying I told you so... maybe.

Without Nebraska and A&M, the B12 is inferior to the SEC, B10, and the PAC12. If Oklahoma leaves then the B12 is effectively the Texas league. Then you can predict the conference championship in August.

As for the B10 adding Missouri brings in two large TV markets, KC and St. Louis. Iowa versus Notre Dame or Boston College would be good games. The choices other than Notre Dame or Missouri are of less interest to most B10 fans.

Eff this, two times til Tuesday. The Big Ten does not need to bulk up with the Jones's to maintain our clout. We don't have to bloat ourself with Missouris and Marylands to be watched by millions of people. We are watched by millions right now.

Noone views the Big 12 as inferior, the problem for the Big 12 is that their members view the Big 12 as either unfair or unstable.

The best thing that the Big Ten could do during "super"conference mania is to abstain. You want more Iowa-Purdue crossovers? Well, cheer on the history and geography-spiting superconferences then, and we can look forward to spine-tingling matchups between Iowa and Maryland, Rutgers and Duke - oh my!

The Big Ten, as presently constituted, is a badass mfin league. Let's keep it that way, by doing nothing. When we are cackling from the sidelines in 15 years as the other mismatched "super"conferences implode I will refrain from saying I told you so... maybe.

+1

You don't fix what ain't broke.

LOL. I'm still wondering how you think I'm arguing FOR playoffs.

Because the whole thread you have been telling me there COULD be playoffs in the current system. I apologize that I assumed that you were then for them. I understand there COULD be playoffs (anything is possible), just like ISU COULD win the NC this year......Lets talk about the about the actual probability of either of these things happening......0.00% chance. :cool:

No. I don't want playoffs. I'm not arguing for STARTING them. I'm saying that there's no reason they can't have them (which would suck because playoffs would suck -- I don't want them) under the current setup. Swing and a miss. But, but, but!

I'm not saying I WANT super conferences. I'm just trying to point out that going to a super conference will NOT ruin college football, just as going to the BCS didn't ruin it, going to a 12 team BIG didn't ruin it, the BIG 12 falling apart won't ruin it. College football is just continues to grow and grow and grow.....super conferences won't change this.

If the Big 10 raids a conference and if it wants ND to join, should the conference not take two of the better teams from the Big East? The ACC wanting to stay in the hunt also then takes two to four of the better teams and the Big East is no more. Notre Dame then has no conference for its olympic sports.

The Pac 12 then convinces Ok, Okie state to join the Pac 12 and maybe even Texas Tech. The Big 12 is toast and Texas either goes independent or joins the Pac 12.

Certainly the rest of the have nots in the Big 12 and Big East could join together but what kind of a conference would it be. Logistics would be a nightmare and who on the east coast would want to see the matchups of the clowns, ksu, or Kansas (except in bb). Notre dame could either stay independent and continue its olympic sports in the much lesser Big east or could join the conference.

Because the whole thread you have been telling me there COULD be playoffs in the current system. I apologize that I assumed that you were then for them. I understand there COULD be playoffs (anything is possible), just like ISU COULD win the NC this year......Lets talk about the about the actual probability of either of these things happening......0.00% chance. :cool:

I was saying that there COULD be playoffs in the current system because for some reason you have it in your head that there's no way they could happen the way things are because the important people don't want them. You're saying that things need to go to superconferences in order for it to happen. That the same people who don't want playoffs are going to change to superconferences in order to have a playoff. I'm saying that if they don't want playoffs, playoffs won't happen, "super"conferences or not.

Latest posts