Why I think we are on the verge of superconferences

shaver363

Just a couple of thoughts - No inside info whatsoever:

1. The Big 10 does not want to expand to 16 unless Notre Dame is part of the equation.

2. Problem is that the Big 10 does not want to let the SEC or other superconferences into it's territory. I think that this means that the B10 will attempt to block any moves by Mizzou or Pitt by giving the perception of potential invitations. This is not because they covet either school but because they don't want someone else to have them.

3. The BIG 10 and SEC are in a position of power and are comfortable with the status quo. The PAC 12 wants to be part of this party and is moving hard to become third. Oklahoma in a 16 team conference would bring them up in their minds.

4. Oklahoma probably doesn't want to be in a conference with BYU, SMU, Houston, Boise or Air Force and they can't do better because any other big time schools will not forgo a chance at the BIG 10, SEC or a stronger ACC/Big East configuration.

This will force Oklahoma's hand and they will either stay with Texas until the other shoe drops or move on. I think OK is more fed up with Texas than we think. Is this the final domino?

I dont think the Big 6+2+4-2-1 will survive if Missery leaves either. OU for sure collapses the conference but Missery is a key kog as well.

Just a couple of thoughts - No inside info whatsoever:

1. The Big 10 does not want to expand to 16 unless Notre Dame is part of the equation.

Why does the BT need to go to 16, even with Notre Dame? The notion of the inevitability of 16-team superconferences is weird to me.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the Big 10 should grab Missery and someone for the ACC to expand their footprint. I don't like superconferences, but they are coming sooner or later. I don't want the Big 10 to get the leftovers after the SEC, Pac 12, and whatever mix of the Big 12, ACC, and Big East is left standing. I would rather have them act now so they can get schools that may actually increase revenue. Now I expect someone to comment and say that ND and Texas are the only way the Big 10 can make more money. I don't know if that's true or not.

The logic is circular.

Conferences need to go to 16.
Why?
Because conferences are going to 16.

The logic is circular.

Conferences need to go to 16.
Why?
Because conferences are going to 16.

turgidson.jpg

Yeah. I think it would be extremely naive of us, Mr. President, to imagine that these new developments are going to cause any change in Soviet expansionist policy. I mean, we must be... increasingly on the alert to prevent them from taking over other mineshaft space, in order to breed more prodigiously than we do, thus, knocking us out in superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow... a mine shaft gap!

I think the B1G should talk to Oklahoma and see if there is any interest with them joining the B1G. I understand they don't add a lot of TV eyes but they sure do bring a hell of a lot of clout with them that the B1G would love to have. Grab them and Missouri, ND, and Pitt if we must go to 16.

I am fine with sitting this round of expansion out,as a Big Ten fan,but I fear their hand may be forced by the other leagues.
Reading Stoops today in the Tulsa Times...he sounded pretty excited about the
Pac 16. Texas,Ok,OKSt.and Texas Tech to round out their southern divsion?
Stoops made it clear that OK St had to be part of it,and he wants texas schools coming along. BYU is out.

ND will never join a league,I am now convinced. They can always get dates even if there is a 4 superconference setup. They can create their own network. Now, they might get shut out of a playoff between the 4 conference winners,but they can live with that.

My latest favorite sons for the Big Ten would be Maryland and Virginia as a pairing...solid academics and good east coast exposure.
That leaves me with less than happy with Pitt/Rutgers and Missouri,but someone has to be the red-headed stepchild.

I am fine with sitting this round of expansion out,as a Big Ten fan,but I fear their hand may be forced by the other leagues.
Reading Stoops today in the Tulsa Times...he sounded pretty excited about the
Pac 16. Texas,Ok,OKSt.and Texas Tech to round out their southern divsion?
Stoops made it clear that OK St had to be part of it,and he wants texas schools coming along. BYU is out.

ND will never join a league,I am now convinced. They can always get dates even if there is a 4 superconference setup. They can create their own network. Now, they might get shut out of a playoff between the 4 conference winners,but they can live with that.

My latest favorite sons for the Big Ten would be Maryland and Virginia as a pairing...solid academics and good east coast exposure.
That leaves me with less than happy with Pitt/Rutgers and Missouri,but someone has to be the red-headed stepchild.

I'm gonna disagree here. ND will join a league if forced. The B1G can force the situation if they want. But to do it the Jim Delaney needs to de-stabilize the Big East and the B12. By taking Missery from the B12 I think that would be enough to cause the collapse of the B12 then there must be a couple of heavy weights (Pitt, and somone else) taken from the Big East to cause an impending collapse after the ACC and SEC raid them. If the B12 and Big East collapse this leaves ND with no where to put their olympic sports which will force them to join a conference. Being the B12 and Big East are done their only option would be the B1G, they arent going to throw their hats in with the SEC.

Also, there is no way domer fans would go along with being shut out of the new playoff system and inability to win a legitimate NC. They have been irrelevant for so long that they are beginning to lose their luster and i highly doubt concessions are going to be made for them. Jim Delaney should twist their nuts when they are finally forced to join the B1G just for previously shunning them.

I think the B1G should talk to Oklahoma and see if there is any interest with them joining the B1G. I understand they don't add a lot of TV eyes but they sure do bring a hell of a lot of clout with them that the B1G would love to have. Grab them and Missouri, ND, and Pitt if we must go to 16.

OU is a glorified JUCO. Nebraska academically looks like Harvard compared to Oklahoma. No chance of them moving to the Big 10.

OU is a glorified JUCO. Nebraska academically looks like Harvard compared to Oklahoma. No chance of them moving to the Big 10.

Yeah since the B10 proved that the conference is all about academics when they let Nebby in :rolleyes:. Please, it's all about money and OU would bring it.

I agree superconferences will be here sooner like it or not. I had posted awhile ago in another thread, I just think its going to be necessary for alot of schools to survive for many reasons, but mostly economically, they will need the revenue sharing from those conference affiliations, football is the main ticket winner and with all the state budget shortfalls and many expense cutting measures schools are having to take, in order for their other sports programs to survive I believe its inevitable we'll see a major super conference affiliation within the next few years.

Latest posts