Why I think the offense struggles (It aint all Greg Davis)

QuadCityHawkeye

Davis wasn't loved in Texas, but he had a lot of speed WR's who excelled there and ended up in the pros. They did their fair share of horizontal passing, and had a God named Vince Young that made everything look better, but they also threw the ball downfield even when Young wasn't there. I think the clear #1 problem here is that Rudock isn't a fit for the Davis offense. CJ makes the offense look better because he will throw downfield, gets the ball out quicker, and has a higher ceiling talent-wise. Davis does call some dumb plays but Rudock is too conservative and doesn't have a strong arm. The issue is that Ferentz is too loyal and likes the game manager QB, and that won't fly in this offense. Just my 2 cents but the QB is the #1 issue with this team. Things just seem to click more with CJ out there.

Davis wasn't loved in Texas, but he had a lot of speed WR's who excelled there and ended up in the pros. They did their fair share of horizontal passing, and had a God named Vince Young that made everything look better, but they also threw the ball downfield even when Young wasn't there. I think the clear #1 problem here is that Rudock isn't a fit for the Davis offense. CJ makes the offense look better because he will throw downfield, gets the ball out quicker, and has a higher ceiling talent-wise. Davis does call some dumb plays but Rudock is too conservative and doesn't have a strong arm. The issue is that Ferentz is too loyal and likes the game manager QB, and that won't fly in this offense. Just my 2 cents but the QB is the #1 issue with this team. Things just seem to click more with CJ out there.

I think Davis would like to run the QB more, or at the least have a QB that manipulates the pocket and makes second reaction plays. Young and Colt McCoy were both mobile guys. I also think he'd like more spread concepts and more explosiveness at RB.

Davis clearly believes in the zone-read and no-huddle tempo. But we don't do either.

Well put. About 95% of the fans agree with you. Get the QB on the field who brings some excitement and can win games as well. I just don't get how Ferentz can have such a major flaw (stubbornness) and still be the head coach at Iowa. I understand he thinks that game management has won a lot of games down through the years. Well, it has also lost a lot of games, and it's similar to the basketball program a few years ago. Even if we lost more basketball games under Fran than we did with Lickliter I would rather watch Fran's teams. And, likewise, it's time to move on in the football program. If Ferentz is not going to change to an offensive philosophy that scores points and keeps it exciting for the fans then it's time for him to move on.

I think Davis would like to run the QB more, or at the least have a QB that manipulates the pocket and makes second reaction plays. Young and Colt McCoy were both mobile guys. I also think he'd like more spread concepts and more explosiveness at RB.

Davis clearly believes in the zone-read and no-huddle tempo. But we don't do either.

You're not alone on that opinion. I listened to Chuck Long on the "Miller Without Brinson Show" and he basically said the same thing that Rudock isn't actually a good fit for this system and that Beathard needs and deserves more playing time.

No one is a good fit for a Greg Davis offense.

Chris Simms, Vince Young, Major Applewhite, and Colt McCoy all did OK under it. I'd say CJ is closer to those guys in terms of QB style then Rudock is. I don't like Davis much but I do think CJ is the better fit as well as the better QB.

You're not alone on that opinion. I listened to Chuck Long on the "Miller Without Brinson Show" and he basically said the same thing that Rudock isn't actually a good fit for this system and that Beathard needs and deserves more playing time.
When Chuck Long says something, it's meaningful to me. He knows what he is talking about.

When Chuck Long says something, it's meaningful to me. He knows what he is talking about.

I'll also add that the guy The Shadow was talking about at the Outback Bowl last year who said off air that Iowa needed a new QB was none other than Jon Gruden.

I'll also add that the guy The Shadow was talking about at the Outback Bowl last year who said off air that Iowa needed a new QB was none other than Jon Gruden.

Hey, Hey, unless you can identify this "Shadow" and provide wire tap and video evidence of him speaking directly to Jon Gruden, with I.S.I.S. militia holding knives to their throats, then this is nothing more than speculation and your feeble attempt at internet fame to feed your insatiable ego.

#ScootyDog

And Podolak was saying LAST year that CJB was too good to keep on the sidelines. I think those 2 know what they're talking about. But not everyone is listening, at least not those who count.

Its Jake.

You need to throw over 15 yards at least 5 times a game. 56 passes against Maryland and zero down field balls? Same offensive game plan CJB throws it down field 7 times that day and we win.

P.S. Stop going to Weisman when it was 21-24 was insane.

From Twitter:

The Iowa Offense under Greg Davis: 2014: 70th ranked, 2013: 52nd, 2012: 85th.

Under KOK: 2011: 45th, 2010: 19th, 2009: 46th.

Worse all 3 years under GD. I rest my case.

How can you say Iowa doesn't do it when Davis wants to do it? He's our OC. What gives?

Candy is awesome for Halloween but totes not awesome for QB arms.

Candy corn? YES

Candy arm? NO.

NO NO NO NO NO.

The way I see Iowa's offensive struggles this year:

Offensive Line - has not played up to its potential in either phase, but especially in pass blocking. They simply aren't giving Rudock enough time - particularly given the observation I'll make below...

Quarterback - While I think it's generally good to have a little competition at the QB spot, I think the coaches needed to put an end to the QB controversy before the 1st game. Rudock clearly throws a better, more catchable ball, and can make all the throws this scheme requires of him; however, he is playing tight like he's afraid to lose his role. He won't typically make deep throws until it's clear that no mistake can be made, and the OL isn't giving him enough time to "evaluate" his deep throws - so he doesn't throw them. They put Beathard in there and he's the polar opposite - he plays like he has nothing to lose (and he doesn't). He'll chuck a deep floater out there as soon as he makes his drop and hope the receiver will get under the ball and make a play on it. The kid has moxy - I'll give him that, but he generally throws some pretty sloppy balls and that's why he's not starting for a "ball-control" type of offense.

Running Back - Again an area where there has been no cohesiveness (which is a FIRM REQUIREMENT) for a successful run-game. IMO there was way too much experimentation with multiple backs; and in particular Bullock in the first half of the season. He's just not a good running back for Iowa's blocking schemes. Not strong enough to make something out of nothing up the middle, doesn't have the vision to find lanes or make the cutbacks on the stretch plays, and not enough speed to beat LBs to the edge. Sometimes the cut needs to be made BEFORE the lane appears to be there, and he NEVER does that. He just keeps running into the 12th defender. He's only ever shown effectiveness catching the ball out of the backfield, and the defenses now know that. While Canzeri seems to be better at all of those "running-back" elements that Bullock is missing - it seems obvious to me that he is still not back to 100% (I'd say about 70% tops). Canzeri WAS to be our home-run threat, but he just can't quite be that at this time. Weisman is a known commodity. We all know what he can and can't do and so does the opposition and they MUST respect that. Going through this second half of the season a heavy dose of a healthy Mark Weisman is just what the doctor is ordering and will keep the "tired" defenses hands full; at least that's what I'm hoping for.

The OL needs to step up in a big way and Greg Davis needs to learn to scratch where it itches or the struggles will continue. Wow... genius, I know...

Quarterback - While I think it's generally good to have a little competition at the QB spot, I think the coaches needed to put an end to the QB controversy before the 1st game. Rudock clearly throws a better, more catchable ball, and can make all the throws this scheme requires of him; however, he is playing tight like he's afraid to lose his role. He won't typically make deep throws until it's clear that no mistake can be made, and the OL isn't giving him enough time to "evaluate" his deep throws - so he doesn't throw them. They put Beathard in there and he's the polar opposite - he plays like he has nothing to lose (and he doesn't). He'll chuck a deep floater out there as soon as he makes his drop and hope the receiver will get under the ball and make a play on it. The kid has moxy - I'll give him that, but he generally throws some pretty sloppy balls and that's why he's not starting for a "ball-control" type of offense.

First, Rudock does not throw a better ball than CJ. Many times Rudock's passes float and flutter, like the INT against ISU, and that's why he avoids medium length throws. Second, Rudock plays better and more aggressively when he thinks his job is on the line. Otherwise, he's content to sit back and throw checkdowns.

First, Rudock does not throw a better ball than CJ. Many times Rudock's passes float and flutter, like the INT against ISU, and that's why he avoids medium length throws. Second, Rudock plays better and more aggressively when he thinks his job is on the line. Otherwise, he's content to sit back and throw checkdowns.

Adding to that...when he is flushed out of the pocket, his accuracy on the run is horrendously bad. All QB's struggle to hit targets while on the run, but for Jake it's just an exceptional deficiency. Perhaps we were all spoiled by Drew Tate and Ricky Stanzi. They seemed to do quite well under pressure.

Latest posts