Why Friday?

FlaHawk1

Greetings Hawkeye fans. What was the motivation for hosting Nebraska on Friday, rather than Saturday...and how do those of you that have the opportunity to attend the game feel about the change.
Beat Wiskey!

Nebraska has a tradition of playing on the day after thanksgiving. It's their thingy. Krik would never do such a thing on his own.

I think KF has not embraced it, because it allows the players a chance to go home for the Weekend and get a little bit of family thanksgiving celebrations.

It is a prime slot on a quasi- national holiday National tv exposure. Tradition for Nebby.

Nebby always used to play Colorado on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Being a season ticket holder, the 11am kick offs, still allow us to travel to our family on Friday night.

There is certainly a huge TV audience. Not many other games on at that time. Getting some national exposure which is always good.

A stupid question. It all comes down to TV money. If the game is moved to Saturday two other Big Tens teams will be moved to Friday. The Ohio State - Michigan will not be moved to Friday. After that game the Iowa - Nebraska game is about the best game for Friday. What are the other choices? Northwestern - Illinois, Purdue - Indiana. It all comes down to the greenbacks! It is all set up for the best TV ratings & money for the weekend. Plus, it gives Iowa great national TV exposure with very little competition!

A stupid question. It all comes down to TV money. If the game is moved to Saturday two other Big Tens teams will be moved to Friday. The Ohio State - Michigan will not be moved to Friday. After that game the Iowa - Nebraska game is about the best game for Friday. What are the other choices? Northwestern - Illinois, Purdue - Indiana. It all comes down to the greenbacks! It is all set up for the best TV ratings & money for the weekend. Plus, it gives Iowa great national TV exposure with very little competition!

did someone **** in your cereal this morning? Maybe you've been in columbus too long.

I refer you to the decorum thread. Now get off my lawn!

Because it's basically a holiday for many Americans. Lots of people sitting in front of the tv. If you are not home and out fighting people for black friday deals..you're not a football fan, or a man..or a woman who is worth knowing. You're basically just a horrible pile of human garbage fighting somebody else just as vile for a deal that you could get online if you were smart enough to figure out the interwebs.

The word tradition is thrown around too much. Nebraska played OU maybe 5 or 6 times on that Friday and it was developing a decent following, but then the Big 8 changed to the Big 12 and the OU-UNL game was no longer an annual occurrence, so the conference replaced what used to be a very stellar Colorado team with OU, as it was at the time the de facto championship game for the Big 12 North. Nebraska-OU was truly one of the greatest college football rivalries ever, but when it got destroyed, the Big 12 tried to claim there was some new tradition with Colorado (which quickly took a dump and fell off the college FB landscape) and now Iowa has to play that game as the new designated conference rival of Nebraska. To me, it is a travesty as Iowa should either have some rotation or get Minnesota or Wisconsin in the final weekend, but the conference has to create a new fake rivalry that is a shell of the old UNL-OU rivalry.

God, I really hate all this realignment. Sorry for the rant, but I can't consider something that began 25 or so years ago a tradition unless it retained that truly great UNL-OU rivalry that was designed to put a marquee game on TV on Black Friday.

Because it's basically a holiday for many Americans. Lots of people sitting in front of the tv. If you are not home and out fighting people for black friday deals..you're not a football fan, or a man..or a woman who is worth knowing. You're basically just a horrible pile of human garbage fighting somebody else just as vile for a deal that you could get online if you were smart enough to figure out the interwebs.

It's not a holiday. Banks are required by law to be open. Sure, your boss may give it to you as a token day off, but it is not a holiday.

I absolutely hate that Iowa plays on Black Friday. I have to use a vacation day as this is a normal work day where I work, plus it makes thanksgiving plans even more difficult. I hope someday soon Iowa does away with this. There are 4 other games being televised while the Iowa game is on Friday so this is not an exclusive time slot. Sure it's more exposure than a Saturday game but who cares? It really makes little difference.

I would like to see some rotation set up where the end of season opponent is rotated between Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Then have the 4 teams play a double header on Black Friday each year.

Year 1
Iowa- Nebraska
Wisc-Minn

Year 2
Iowa-Wisc
Neb-Minnn

Year 3
Iowa-Minn
Neb-Wisc

I love the Friday game. One less day you have to wait for Iowa football and I more day to relax after the game before you go back to work on Monday.

One of my busiest times for work, so I'll never be able to attend but I think it's kind of a cool little tradition and something different.

I like any opportunity to stick it to lil' debby

There are these little things called "adverbs" and "basically" is one of them.

chuck-norris-thumbs-up-dodgeball-gif.gif

Latest posts