Why don't we ???

clim

Look for a good juco de?? Seems like getting a solid pass rushing de with proven skills could really help us.

Just a guess here but is it hard to get JC guys admitted to Iowa?

It can be hard to get them to make the grade, pardon the pun.

Also, maybe there arent any of these guys the hawks think can make a difference

Or they have some guys coming up who can contribute?

Not a big fan of JUCO football players. You just don't see very many big impact ones (Sans Cam Newton). I'd rather have a guy who has been with Doyle and this staff working for 3 years going into their JR. year, than a kid who as maybe been working sort of hard, getting by on his talent (above your typical JUCO level player) and then coming into the system.

Sure there are exceptions, but those kids have been recruited all year and signed in Dec. Now we would be scraping the bottom of the barrel, and I'd rather have a HS kid who the staff thinks has upside.

Hopefully this won't come off as snarky, but if it were that easy to go out and plug in a JUCO guy at position "X" and have him immediately make an impact, ALL the big name programs would be doing it.

It's tempting to see JUCO's as analogous to the free agent market in the pros, but the fact of the matter is that it's just not that easy. It's as close to an imperfect science evaluating JUCO's as it is evaluating HS prospects. For every former JUCO making all conference level contributions at a P5 school, there are probably 6-10 guys who topped out at role player (or never even cracking the 2 deeps).

Look for a good juco de?? Seems like getting a solid pass rushing de with proven skills could really help us.
That's so Iowa State. Seriously, they're hard to come by. There is a reason the vast majority of these guys are in JUCO - talent, grades, maturity (being diplomatic). The Hawks do pick one off once in awhile, but they often don't pan out. Wasn't there some stud JUCO kid that was to come in an be a DE? He seems like he went the way of a lot of them. My guess is that they don't like to burn scholarships on them. Powell was pretty good. Of course, Yanda. But there are more flameouts than producers. They need to be judicious with JUCO players.

Would have been nice to get Trevon Young. I know he broke his hip last month but racked up 10 sacks before that.

Latest posts